Poll

Do you want Tupac as an admin?

Yes
8 (80%)
No
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Tupac For Admin???  (Read 11104 times)

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
Re: Tupac For Mod???
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
Mods should be allowed to set icons but I believe the /set function is restricted to admins only...not sure if it can be changed? Lance?

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
Re: Tupac For Mod???
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
Yea it can and I know alot about admin. The mod would just allow me to ban from channel that's it.

The set command is a root command and Can be given in command groups. If any one has access to set, they can be admin or whatever they want.

My professional career I have domain admin. I trouble shoot users through out the campus from passwords, printers, networking, wap, backup. Running a pvpgn server with 100 people is nothing....

I don't care about people passwords, ip, info. I can harvest it all easily without hesitation. But my job is to support not disturb people's privacy. You are all here for the game like me.

For any confusion between people who don't know me. I had full access to ru before and never even used the power. I actually handed it over to il and he patched up and cleaned up.

So I proven myself loyal over and over.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
Re: Tupac For Admin???
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:16 PM »

For any confusion between people who don't know me. I had full access to ru before and never even used the power. I actually handed it over to il and he patched up and cleaned up.

So I proven myself loyal over and over.

Good enough for me. Switched it back to admin.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »
Ah, I see. This is what zone used to do, they would have different levels of member+ and you would get promoted after a certain amount of time and get more abilities.

I think however, that mods should be able to set icons too. I see no harm in starting him as a mod first so I will change the poll and I actually really like the idea of starting all new admins off as mods first and if they handle it well and stuff they can earn a promotion.

As others have stated, a mod is simply an admin with all the dangerous commands removed except for channel moderation.  It could be given the ability to do other things, but IMO the default is good enough.  If it were given other commands, I think the only command it should have is maybe giving people a new icon.  Other than that, nothing else.  The ability to kick and ban people from channels is good enough practice before giving them the ability to lock the person off the server with an IP or Hardware ban (which I believe is on the TODO list for iL).
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »

Ah, I see. This is what zone used to do, they would have different levels of member+ and you would get promoted after a certain amount of time and get more abilities.

I think however, that mods should be able to set icons too. I see no harm in starting him as a mod first so I will change the poll and I actually really like the idea of starting all new admins off as mods first and if they handle it well and stuff they can earn a promotion.

As others have stated, a mod is simply an admin with all the dangerous commands removed except for channel moderation.  It could be given the ability to do other things, but IMO the default is good enough.  If it were given other commands, I think the only command it should have is maybe giving people a new icon.  Other than that, nothing else.  The ability to kick and ban people from channels is good enough practice before giving them the ability to lock the person off the server with an IP or Hardware ban (which I believe is on the TODO list for iL).

Agreed but if you say we can assign people rights to commands such as setting icons...that should be done ASAP. Including stats transfer.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
With the default configuration is is possible to do.  Mods on war2.us had all of the default moderator commands plus they could set an icon.  I did not however have it set so that they could transfer stats, but that does not mean it couldnt be set up.  Then again my PVPGN was highly modified,  default PVPGN only has command groups which means that either you had access to set or you didnt and set had a LOT of capabilities.  You cant lock down set (or other commands such as ipban to only allow time arguments, etc) by default.  But adding new commands is childs play.  I simply created a new command that had the ability to specified functions if the account had the proper permissions.  In otherwords, I modified it such that command groups were no longer needed.  I could give users access to different subsets of the "set" command on a per account basis.  It also had the side effect of simplying the convoluted "set" syntax.  So tupac might be able to give icons and stats,  but lightbringer could only set stats, and jade could only set icons, yet they would all be a "moderator".  I did not like how PVPGN permissions were developed so I changed it by adding 1 command to pvpgn.

All of these are possible, but they do require work on iL's part.  So right now, by default I believe Moderator is just fine.  You can always set icons and other things using some website interface if c/c++ is to difficult.  That solves a lot of problems and opens up the possibility of making the commands more user friendly and easier to secure.  PHP is far simpler and many of the "set" commands can be re-developed in a web interface.  Bottom line, it's all completely possible and ANYONE with PHP knowledge could easily develop it for him.  There are far more people with PHP/Perl experience than c/c++.  Modifying PVPGN truly is not that difficult if you think outside the box.

Here is an example scenario of what I envision as a "web interface".  A mod goes to some webpage and is presented with a list of players currently logged in.  There is also a search box that can search offline players.  Next to each player is a dropdown containing a list of all possible icons, the default selected icon is obviously their current icon.  Next to that will be their win/loss stats that are in a TEXT box.  Simply typing in new numbers results in changing them.  Other things could be there as well,  but thats basic enough to give an idea of what I'd consider a better interface than the current PVPGN "set" command system which is very difficult to understand and very easy to fuck up and have to re-type a long ass command.  If $pace were around he could tell you that I already had such an interface.  It even allowed him to upload new icons from regular gif/png/jpg files.  And that's on top of the command I added for doing things from within the war2 client.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:52:39 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
Yes, lance we know how much time and dedication you put into your pvpgn server. Might as well write the whole thing Let's talk about how we can better the server and not ego. If we can actually work as a community and actually setup a development team. Where the developers can see all codes share and grow.

You have a windows 8 fix you know it :)
So much stuff you have. I have alot of cool stuff too but you see I offer my source and give it away or tell you exactly how to do it.

I've been bouncing back and fourth between anti hack detection and a pvpgn bot.

Soon we won't even really need admins auto banning, auto stats transfer, auto icons, I'll edit bot when icons change or what ever.

Why don't I see you in the development section?

Anyways i think iL is neutral with me as an admin.

Blid? What do you think?
Foonat ?
Burnt?
light-?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:51:09 AM by tupac »

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
I think picka deleted all of Lance ' s work when he hacked him.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Kali IGL Stats

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Well start from the bottom and climb to the top again.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
Tupac For Admin???
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Well start from the bottom and climb to the top again.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
Well how many admins voted lol......

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »

Yea speaks volumes. Pretty much everyone else is for it.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
Tupac For Admin???
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:39 PM »

Don't expect much from the admins, lazy and useless, why we having this poll in the first place.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:50:27 PM by EviL~Ryu »

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
 5 more posts to 2500 ryu
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »

5 more posts to 2500 ryu

Really?

Doesn't really matter, grades stopped at Ogre Mage.