Author Topic: [solved]Windows 10 thanks Aqrit!  (Read 20518 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
ddraw.dll ?

squeak!

Offline Warchief Lightbringer-

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
INGORE MY PREVIOUS POST ON DELETING DDRAW.INI. It was in my war2 folder for God knows what testing. I am enquiring on what could have caused it....
Anyone with a Win10 can you please backup War2Patch.mpq and replace with the version attached and report back?
Thanks
aka DeaDLyGaMeS

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
On win10 make sure you have NO files ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini exist in war2 directory where you start war2 from.

ddraw is a wrapper that fixes an error in ddraw for win7 only!
Not useful but causes problems in win8 and win10.

When you install combat 4.01 make sure ddraw checkbox is disabled.
It should be disabled by default for any OS except win7, but you can enable it, that is strongly not recommended.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 05:43:10 AM »
I hear in Windows 10 they install adds in solitaire and to disable them you have to pay a monthly subscription fee.  That is the most fucked up thing i've ever heard, taking advantage of retards and old people that don't know any better. What ever happened to buying software and owning it. Trying to switch everything to a subscription model screams desperation with so many better free alternatives out there.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »
That is.. downright dystopian.
squeak!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
windows 2000 was winblows last real one ..taking advantage of people was the next move.i really dont get the 8's and 10's and why you would want them.

people still play solitare :o worst card game ever!i suggest u delete, free up the kb's and do a
 "52 card pickup in flash" alternative.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:10:14 PM by easycompany »

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
Windows 10 is great.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »
My test for that:
The latest version of War2combat has display glitches in Windows 10. Here are two things you can try:

• When installing War2combat on Windows 10 make sure you UNCHECK the ddraw checkbox in the installer. It should be disabled by default for any OS except Win7. There should be NO files called "ddraw.dll" or "ddraw.ini" in the /war2combat/ directory. (ddraw is a wrapper that fixes an error in ddraw for win7 only! It causes problems in win8 and win10.)

• If that doesn't work you can install the previous version of War2combat (3.15), located here.

Please try these things before you make a post about Win10 issues!

I just tried to install new clean windows 10 and war2 to it. That is what i see:

1. DDraw compat checkbox is disabled by default (that is correct behaviour).

2. I try to check the DDraw compat checkbox and install combat. Then i install it again to the same folder.
2.1. Checkbox is checked by default now. (options being kept from previous installation).
2.2. If i uncheck the DDraw compat checkbox before repeatedly installation, it will NOT delete these files (ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg). That looks like a definite bug.

So, my plans for next version:
1. should do: to delete these files if you uncheck the checkbox during repeated installaion.
2. need to think about: don't remember last choice for this checkbox, always set is depending on windows version.
The question is about other checkboxes: all the checkboxes are being kept from previous installation, should i keep them all except ddraw?
3. even more agressive behaviour: to show gray (non-clickable) checkbox for directdraw (depend on windows version). I have no idea why you will need that ddraw fix under any win except 7.
At the same time i don't understand why anybody switch this checkbox on under win 8 or win 10. To click everything just in case or what?

4. i also can add functionality to delete ddraw for non-win7 computer into loader. You try to start war2ploader, it asks if you want to delete ddraw that is not compatible with your win version or continue as is.

Here are 3 more screenshots:
how it works with ddraw.dll:

And without it (that is how it should work). Here's no any known solutions to show icons in chat:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:40:31 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
3. even more agressive behaviour: to show gray (non-clickable) checkbox for directdraw (depend on windows version). I have no idea why you will need that ddraw fix under any win except 7.

That's probably best. Or at least update the description to explicitly state "Win7 ONLY, not for use with Win8 & 10", the wording is a little ambiguous

At the same time i don't understand why anybody switch this checkbox on under win 8 or win 10. To click everything just in case or what?

Win10 is a free upgrade from Win7 so maybe the people having the problem already had war2 installed, then did the upgrade to Win10, thus the ddraw files are present. If these people are doing fresh installations of war2 on Win10 then I don't know -- it doesn't explain why so many Win8 users have the problem either.

squeak!

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
Windows 10
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »
I know I did have that problem after upgrading from 7 to 10. Maybe put some instructions on forum when upgrading from 7 to fully uninstall and reinstall war2combat.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »
I found combat works on Windows 10 Home and Pro, but crashes on Enterprise for some reason [emoji54].

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
And without it (that is how it should work). Here's no any known solutions to show icons in chat:
That's not too important, but is that because of the file format of the icons?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
I found combat works on Windows 10 Home and Pro, but crashes on Enterprise for some reason [emoji54].
That's interesting!
Just empty default win ent? Did you try it on different hardware? Also did you try home and pro on the same hardware?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:19:17 PM by iL »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 12:18:23 PM »
That's not too important, but is that because of the file format of the icons?
It's because of different drawing methods for bnet chat, bnet icons and everything else. Something becomes broken in new windows...

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »

That's interesting!
Just empty default win ent? Did you try it on different hardware? Also did you try home and pro on the same hardware?

Yes, clean install from MSDN. Same hardware on all versions. I doubt many users would even have access to the Enterprise edition thought...so shouldn't be a major concern [emoji14]