Author Topic: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be  (Read 25685 times)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
There will be bots up soon to assign profi icons etc, transfer stats, and autoban hackers. Il posed the question to anyone on another thread what more can admins do after that, this is my response:
The admins should be advertising this game, hosting tournaments, answering questions to new players so on. Just because bots can handle the stuff they do on the server, they could still be doing stuff for this game. I'm not sure about advertising for this game but I have never seen an advertisement for this game, that is one point that could help get players. Hosting tournaments Tora and I already do that, Burnt did, but with him gone will admins no longer host server sanctioned tournaments? Helping new players I'm sure admins do that on the forum, but what about people on the server? I'm sure they can find someone for information, but my point is there are things admins can and should be doing for this game that don't have to do with commands on the server.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:45:58 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
Re: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
That is simple.  I help people on the server all the time.  But I dont get very many requests other than by those that notice I host the bot or by veterans who know I can help.  Having a "Support" icon on players willing to help would be beneficial.  Admins simply are not needed.  And Burnt being removed as an admin has absolutely NO effect on him hosting tournaments, etc.  He did nothing that required an admin account, he can still do everything he did previously without any problems at all as far as access is concerned.  Besides, what is a "Server sanctioned Tournament" anyway?  I dont really see the connection.  Just look at any "eSport" online.  None of the big tournaments are held by the Gaming company.  Sure they might hold some, but the largest ones are 3rd parties that have nothing to do with the game at all other than they host tourneys.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
Lol Lance you totally misunderstand my post or you choose to turn it into a Burnt and you thing. My point was there have been festivals every year that had a big tournament, they were the biggest tournaments of the year. I don't know about other games, but on this server the biggest tournaments have always been hosted by the server, they have the site, in game announcements, War2 topic, so on at their disposal to get the information out to more people more easily. Obviously Burnt can host tournaments still, as I have hosted tournaments for over 6 months twenty of them. This had nothing to do with Burnt it had to do with there are plenty of things the administration can do other than logging on the server to enter some commands. This game may not make money like a business but that is basically what it is. Business's and this server need advertising to keep people using it, and promotions that want people to keep playing. My point remains valid in asking if any of the admins are going to continue server tournaments, which historically have been the biggest. The admins can also find ways to advertise the game without paying money, or if they choose could put money into it. If your argument is the game sustains itself and the admins can now do nothing because of bots, I'll join you in continuing to watch the player base shrink then. Advertising, Tournaments, Info to people, and other things are things admins CAN do, and if they are admins wouldn't they want to, isnt that why they are admins?

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
The reasons those tournaments were the biggest is because of the effort and advertising Burnt put into them.  He starts getting the word out months in advance, bills it as an annual EVENT, and usually has a big cash prize.  People don't show up for the festival because he's an admin, they show up because of those reasons and because the "festival" has a history at this point.  In the past, Burnt also had an impressive contact list he put together, so he could get in touch with a bunch of former and current players to get the word out, plus he has the Facebook page.

People don't have to be admins to advertise or run tournaments.  If admins want to host a tournament, that's fine, but I don't really see any necessary connection between the two roles. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:12:36 PM by blid »

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
Really Blid wow great information. Who would have guessed that putting work into something gets good results... To deny that admins have more power to advertise is just silly. You can put it on the main site, you can make advertisements on the server about it for those months, and you can make the topic set as that, among many other things. To deny that as an admin with access to the server sites and topic emote commands is an advantage is just silly. I have been able to advertise my tournaments and I put effort into them and I get people. That doesn't change the fact that by having access to advertising on Server.War2.Ru and the Warcraft 2 topic, and emoting to all players I would get more interest. I don't want those things, I'm just saying YES having access to the advertising mediums you guys have does help.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:55 PM »

Really Blid wow great information. Who would have guessed that putting work into something gets good results... To deny that admins have more power to advertise is just silly. You can put it on the main site, you can make advertisements on the server about it for those months, and you can make the topic set as that, among many other things. To deny that as an admin with access to the server sites and topic emote commands is an advantage is just silly. I have been able to advertise my tournaments and I put effort into them and I get people. That doesn't change the fact that by having access to advertising on Server.War2.Ru and the Warcraft 2 topic, and emoting to all players I would get more interest. I don't want those things, I'm just saying YES having access to the advertising mediums you guys have does help.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
Eh, you might not buy it but I still don't really agree with you.  The main site is more geared toward new players nowadays tbh, it doesn't advertise tournaments at this point and if it did I don't think people would see it anyway.  There's a bot that's messaging people when they log in now for Tora's tournament, which does as much as the channel topic would, but on top of that, you don't have to be an admin to have an admin put information about your tourney into the channel topic.  I believe the topic is indeed advertising Tora's tournament as well. 

One thing that would be cool, I think, is if someone wanting to get a big turnout for a tournament would design a banner, and see if Mousetopher or iL could put it into the banner rotation.  That might help a lot.  But I don't think it has to be Mousetopher or iL hosting the tournament in order to get that done!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »
Don't the banners just cause color issues?
Kali IGL Stats

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »
I know all about Toras tournament I am helping him with it lol... So what Blid and Lance you guys are saying that once bots get set up to transfer stats, assign icons, instant ban and such, you don't want any admins? Because the things I stated are good things for an admin to do once that is set up or now. Advertising the game, getting information to people, and hosting tournaments seem like reasonable things for someone running a site to do to me... If you want to do nothing Blid great, just saying those are good starts for Admins or anyone wanting to help the game to do. If you hold so strongly once the bots are up admins have no purpose, go ahead and step down then, there was a question posed by Il what more can admins do? There you go advertise the game, answer questions/help new players, and host tournaments.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
One thing that would be cool, I think, is if someone wanting to get a big turnout for a tournament would design a banner, and see if Mousetopher or iL could put it into the banner rotation.  That might help a lot.  But I don't think it has to be Mousetopher or iL hosting the tournament in order to get that done!

There were rotating banners on the server at one point, but it caused a problem for many players where their screens would turn White...so iL removed the multiple banners.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »

Don't the banners just cause color issues?

Ya a white screen as I remember?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
If multiple banners flakes people's computers out, you could simply have the tournament banner could be the only banner, providing the tourney is epic enough.  Seems like a cool idea to me.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
I guess we can get rid of the new forum banner, the forum isn't new anymore and everyone knows about it by now.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »

I guess we can get rid of the new forum banner, the forum isn't new anymore and everyone knows about it by now.

Not really, many people are still clueless about it lol...even if the link is in their face every time they login.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
I know all about Toras tournament I am helping him with it lol... So what Blid and Lance you guys are saying that once bots get set up to transfer stats, assign icons, instant ban and such, you don't want any admins? Because the things I stated are good things for an admin to do once that is set up or now. Advertising the game, getting information to people, and hosting tournaments seem like reasonable things for someone running a site to do to me... If you want to do nothing Blid great, just saying those are good starts for Admins or anyone wanting to help the game to do. If you hold so strongly once the bots are up admins have no purpose, go ahead and step down then, there was a question posed by Il what more can admins do? There you go advertise the game, answer questions/help new players, and host tournaments.
I don't see what those things have to do with the title of "administrator."  If some player wants to be helpful and offer support to people with questions, or wants to post advertisements in the wild, or wants to set up a facebook ad sort of thing, let them do it.  We can give them a special tag in the game if it helps people find them and receive help.  We can call them "administrator" if you think it's necessary but what does the title matter?  Do they need to wield the power to ban people to do these things?  Why must they be "administrator" and what does that mean?