Author Topic: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be  (Read 25675 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
I guess we can get rid of the new forum banner, the forum isn't new anymore and everyone knows about it by now.
Well, you could bring the forum banner back after the tournament is over.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »
I guess we can get rid of the new forum banner, the forum isn't new anymore and everyone knows about it by now.

hmm really? but it spams all the forum posts when you log in
Kali IGL Stats

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Lol Blid I've been trying to avoid this but I'm just going to come out and say it. What do you do at all Blid, besides comment on these forums and ban people once in a while? What is being an admin to you? To me it would be advertising the game trying to make it grow. Obviously to you it's commenting on forums, banning people, and playing once in a while. You feel no need to advertise the server you are part of the administration? That's kinda sad. You feel no need to do anything but hold the power, that's your opinion... To me anyone who is the administration would want to make that the funnest experience and get it out to as many people as possible.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
Also it makes no sense you split this topic, when Il asked what more can Admins do after that? I answered it, it falls right into the same thread.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
The role of an "administrator": what it is and what it should be
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Lol Blid I've been trying to avoid this but I'm just going to come out and say it. What do you do at all Blid, besides comment on these forums and ban people once in a while? What is being an admin to you? To me it would be advertising the game trying to make it grow. Obviously to you it's commenting on forums, banning people, and playing once in a while. You feel no need to advertise the server you are part of the administration? That's kinda sad. You feel no need to do anything but hold the power, that's your opinion... To me anyone who is the administration would want to make that the funnest experience and get it out to as many people as possible.

He's the server piggy bank.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
Really Blid wow great information. Who would have guessed that putting work into something gets good results... To deny that admins have more power to advertise is just silly. You can put it on the main site, you can make advertisements on the server about it for those months, and you can make the topic set as that, among many other things. To deny that as an admin with access to the server sites and topic emote commands is an advantage is just silly. I have been able to advertise my tournaments and I put effort into them and I get people. That doesn't change the fact that by having access to advertising on Server.War2.Ru and the Warcraft 2 topic, and emoting to all players I would get more interest. I don't want those things, I'm just saying YES having access to the advertising mediums you guys have does help.

You can do the same thing with a bot that you host yourself.  Anyone can run a bot, there are no rules against it other than it cant be spamming everyone constantly.  Notifications as people enter the server are excellent ways to advertise, even better than a Title announcement simply because the color is Dark Grey and sticks out like a sore thumb.  No one actually reads the title when you enter war2 anyway.  I believe there is already a bot advertising a tourney that is happening this Sat.  Thats your bot I assume?  As for the website,  well, there are ways to advertise on that without being an admin as well.  It's fairly easy to ask mousie to put a blurb on it for ya.  Not like she would say no heh.  Heck sometimes she even does it on her own without anyone asking her.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
Yeah I guess I remember now that Blid pays the server payment. That's great I respect that, I'm just saying being on the administration of anything I would think part of your job would be to make that grow and make it the best experience possible. I didn't even mean to call anyone out, Il asked a question I just answered admins could advertise and maybe one could host tournaments. Yes normal users can advertise and host tournaments like me and Tora. We do it because we love the game and want to make it grow, if you are an admin I imagine the same is true of you and that's why you are an admin, so the same should go for you.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page

....  Not like she would say no heh.  ...

I beg to differ [emoji6]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
I got a great idea! Everytime someone creates a game, make an annoucement in the lobby eg) New Game Created: GoW 2v2

This was people can chat in the lobby without needing to keep checking the join tab.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »
Besides paying for the server, as admin from day one of this thing I think I serve a potentially important role by participating in internal conversations with the really important people like iL and Mouse who actually host the stuff, so that there's a mature and trustworthy voice advising things and keeping things from going in the wrong direction.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »
You mean the /watchall command?  I use it religiously but about 0% of the new players now about the command or how to use it efficiently.  It would have to be a command that can be enabled/disabled because it could become to spammy like the watchall command can be at times.  I dont use it all the time.  Only when I want to know where people are going.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
Besides paying for the server, as admin from day one of this thing I think I serve a potentially important role by participating in internal conversations with the really important people like iL and Mouse who actually host the stuff, so that there's a mature and trustworthy voice advising things and keeping things from going in the wrong direction.

Having Blid as an admin imo is a good thing.  He has more "game" experience than iL and mousetopher combined and is probably one of the better players on top of that.  Having a veteran player admin is perfect especially if they contribute cash ;)

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
Oh yea the watchall. That is annoying cause you have to turn it on and off and it shows people joining the channel and stuff which isn't necessary. Just having the new games created posted would be good.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
I find it funny how this got split from the main thread. Il asked a question I answered. I didn't mean to start a big discussion or an argument, i meant to show that the leadership(administration) of anything have more duties than commands. If you are the leadership of a business or organization you would want to get your product(War2Combat) out to as many people as you can, or you would want to assign someone to do that. As the leadership of something you would also want to make your product(Warcraft 2) as fun as possible, that's why I said hosting tournaments. There are other things an admin could do as well, was just saying advertising, hosting tournaments, as an Admin you should want these things because its your site, but yes anyone can do it.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
Also Blid I'm not calling you out personally. I respect that you pay the server free, and yes you have been here from day 1, so you have done your share. I was asked and I simply shared what leadership of an organization means to me.