Author Topic: Paintball is not War2 or is it?  (Read 12903 times)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
Paintball is not War2 or is it?
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
Blid how exactly is PBall not Warcraft 2? Every custom that doesn't come with the game or at least all that have altered unit properties wouldn't be Warcraft 2 either by that logic. Look at the many maps released by Blizzard themselves Sparta, Instant Action, Minas Tirith, many more they are only or primarily unit fighting maps like PBall except units have hit points. Over the years there have been so many different customs with different unit properties or objectives, that's what Blizzard intended by including a map editor. PBall and all customs get people interested in the game and coming back to the server, many then get into playing GOW or BNEs. Customs and PBalls are the reason for the map editor so people could create their own games within Warcraft 2, they use the same units and the same game, I see no reason why PBall "Would not be Warcraft 2."

Note: This is why Tk[as]'s post about how splitting posts is ridiculous is relevant in some circumstances. Blid and Winchester were already talking about PBall on the forum split topic, and I replied to Blid and this gets made into a separate topic. The same way that Il asked what admins could I answered and it turned into a discussion on the anti hack post(this one I can see splitting though.) Blid, Winchester, and Equinox were already talking about PBall replying to that is how the thread naturally evolved.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:48:09 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
Re: Paintball is not War2 or is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
This is what blids skull is made out of...

Don't waste your time reasoning with him [emoji10]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
Blid how exactly is PBall not Warcraft 2? Every custom that doesn't come with the game or at least all that have altered unit properties wouldn't be Warcraft 2 either by that logic. Look at the many maps released by Blizzard themselves Sparta, Instant Action, Minas Tirith, many more they are only or primarily unit fighting maps like PBall except units have hit points. Over the years there have been so many different customs with different unit properties or objectives, that's what Blizzard intended by including a map editor. PBall and all customs get people interested in the game and coming back to the server, many then get into playing GOW or BNEs. Customs and PBalls are the reason for the map editor so people could create their own games within Warcraft 2, they use the same units and the same game, I see no reason why PBall "Would not be Warcraft 2."
Well, I mean, obviously pball is War2 in that it's made with the War2 map editor and played on the War2 engine, but the game has nothing really in common with regular Warcraft gameplay: resource gathering, town building, unit creating.  That's why I say it's a different game.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »
Like Lance pointed out in another thread PBall shares one of the main aspects with GOW games unit control. Magic use and unit control used in PBall can transfer to GOW, you get used to quick reactions and using magic well. As for unit creating there is many PBall maps with barracks and other buildings to create units. Also there is PBall build where you gather wood and make towns and men. PBall without build often has ways to create units, but PBall shares the same thing all Warcraft 2 does unit control. The only thing really missing from basic PBall is unit gathering but there is PBall build.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
lance is wrong then, and so are you - unit control on "real" maps is done with units with actual health pool. Pball may have its own version of unit control, but its a lot different! An example of a "real" unit control in a custom would be a chop chop catapult war, which is useful in s9 vs 9 cata wars or nwtr for example

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
Nwtr is barely a BNE map lmao. Using that as an example is a sad justification of chop helping on BNEs, though I'm sure it does in ways. Any magic you use in PBall is going to correlate directly to BNE magic. If you learn to use blizzard / death n decay in 420 PBall etc you're going to know how to use it effectively in BNEs as long as they know the spots to hit, but the actual use will be the same. If you are trying to make a concentrated ogre or footman rush in GOW you will do that much easier if you've played PBall you'll know how to rush in groups. You often have to run your men back  to save them and send in a fresh wave to meet /surprise the pursuers a strategy that can be useful in BNEs as well. PBall is unit control a lot of quick reactions also you will learn to react quickly and can build your APM up. You don't do all of the same things you do in a BNEs in PBalls but you learn magic, grouped attacking, cycling units, and you learn to react quickly.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
Yes pball "has spells" but the components of the game I mentioned (resource gathering, town building, unit creation) are the backbone of RTS play.  Pball doesn't have any of it. It is what it is

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »
Nwtr is barely a BNE map lmao. Using that as an example is a sad justification of chop helping on BNEs
alright, then s9 vs 9 and 9 vs 11 cata wars. And basically any other position where cata micro is required, for example breaking a dual. See? happy? Dont you straw man me only because i insulted your pball, ive spoken the truth and it really wont work.
using stand ground or avoiding fireballs (rotfl) with 1 hp units is a skill absolutely not connected to GoW in any way, shape or form

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
Claw using stand ground or avoiding fireballs neither were mentioned in the set of the skills I mentioned, talk about a straw man lmao. Magic use, grouping and cycling units, and building APM / quick reactions are connected to GOW in a way shape and form.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
Blid unit creation I already explained is wrong there are plenty of normal PBalls with unit creation. You are right that normal PBall doesn't have town building or resource gathering though. There is PBall build though examples: PBall Build Bob, PBall Build Balanced, Build n Battle. Like I said Blizzard had many maps released with the game that are only unit fighting, even campaign missions with only unit fighting. Call it what you like but Warcraft is any game played on the video game Warcraft 2: GOW, BNE, CHOP, BGH, Cats n Ratz, Arena, Archers, Space Knights, RPG, PBall it's all Warcraft 2 and the variety makes the game great. PBall without build is definitely different then BNEs because you don't gather resources, but Blizzard released many BNE maps the same way.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Claw using stand ground or avoiding fireballs neither were mentioned in the set of the skills I mentioned, talk about a straw man lmao. Magic use, grouping and cycling units, and building APM / quick reactions are connected to GOW in a way shape and form.
frankly i didnt even read your post after reading the part i quoted. Thought theres nothing of value later on.

The middle part about "rushing in groups" is false, its more about attack moving effectively through built farms, moving the units that are HURT to switch the target etc, the core of BNE unit control and core of pball "unit control" are different things

You often have to run your men back  to save them and send in a fresh wave to meet /surprise the pursuers a strategy that can be useful in BNEs as well.
Wow, that may be accurate, so there you go, pball just covered 0.0001% of gow skills!

PBall is unit control a lot of quick reactions also you will learn to react quickly and can build your APM up
that can be said about anything, not even war2 related. It doesnt support the statement "pball is the real w2" at all

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
Playing Warcraft 3 and being quick with unit responses is probably not going to directly translate to Warcraft 2. If can effectively grab the right units, create groups, use magic well, react to attacks ON WARCRAFT 2, that is going to help in a BNE. You act like controlling BNE or Chop units is some alien thing to PBall they are the same units, PBall takes more finesse to keep them alive though. Lastly your statement doesn't support the fact it isn't Warcraft 2, also don't quote me on something i obviously didn't say. "pball is the real w2" are you high? I said PBall was Warcraft like any other game not "the real w2". Footman Frenzy, Archers, Space Knights, Free Castles, on and on all maps with changed unit properties or no resource gathering are they not Warcraft 2 also?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:13:46 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 03:39:59 PM »
Campaign is campaign, it's a story-based mission that also gradually introduces you to the units and mechanics of the game.  Also, Blizzard did not make "many" maps without resources and building.  They made like 3 or something out of hundreds, and something like Instant Action is considered a gimmick map and not a real game either.  Look at any of the ladder maps, maps officially endorsed by Blizzard as the maps used for competition and rankings, and you'll see what type of maps they are.

Paintball is just paintball, whatever.  You can enjoy it if you like.  It has very little in common with the real game even though it's a map within the game, just as the original DOTA had very little to do with War3 and eventually was split off into completely independent games League, Dota 2, etc.

Pball is not real-time strategy, and War2 is an RTS game

Real-time strategy (RTS) is a subgenre of strategy video games which does not progress incrementally in turns.[1]

The term "Real-time strategy" appeared in BYTE magazine in 1982, but usually Brett Sperry is credited with coining the term to market Dune II.

In an RTS, as in other wargames, the participants position and maneuver units and structures under their control to secure areas of the map and/or destroy their opponents' assets. In a typical RTS, it is possible to create additional units and structures during the course of a game. This is generally limited by a requirement to expend accumulated resources. These resources are in turn garnered by controlling special points on the map and/or possessing certain types of units and structures devoted to this purpose. More specifically, the typical game of the RTS genre features resource gathering, base building, in-game technological development and indirect control of units.
There's no need to be defensive about it.  Pball simply is not the same game.  Doesn't mean you can't play it and enjoy it for some reason.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
Only thing I dont like about PBall is to short. I prefer that PBall game Bob or whatever ever.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »
Is this guy really trying to argue that pball is a real war2 map? Lmao. Age of empires is more like war2 than pball.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:15:15 PM by GaNzTheLegend »
Kali IGL Stats