Author Topic: Ad Space  (Read 25313 times)

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
Re: Ad Space
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »
I think this is a great idea, Burnt has advertised a lot in the past, and I'd say he got some lasting players. He advertised on forums and with real ads and shit for many years, so who knows how many people he brought probably quite a few. I think Blid is right there should some kind of message with the download that says the lobby will mess up with win 8 and 10 explain it a bit and say the game works fine though. As far as the anti hack, I really don't think hacking is something most new players will understand or much care about. There is only a few regular hackers like Dellam on the server, and the new people will suck anyway they probably won't even understand what hacking consists of or that they are being hacked. Good job ~Tora~ another great thing for the server you are going to do! Advertising definitely can't hurt and I'd say it will help to get people on for sure, how many will stick around is the question but I'm sure some will.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
How exactly can the window 8 and 10 get fixed? Or better yet how long will it take?
Because I don't really think it's a good idea to start blitzing ads and then at the download page there a big disclaimer. Probably better just to leave it be

Also does anyone know why burnt stopped advertising?
war2 > war3

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
Maybe it shouldn't be on the download, but the information about Windows 8 and 10 should be somewhere on the site. If they log on and their screen is messed up and they can't find info on it they might just quit there as well. Burnt quit advertising on a lot of sites because they mark him as spam now. A lot of his advertising was going on various gaming websites or forums and linking the server. That used to be allowed more but it's way harder now to do that I guess. As far as paid advertisements I think he did some in the past, I'm not sure about more recently. He advertised this last tournament as his final one I think because he wanted to focus more on playing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:30:16 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
There is a fix out I heard but it breaks SS.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »
It breaks the screen shot in the lobby? I have Windows 7 and I already can't screen shot in the lobby without it looking messed up. Screen shot in the lobby is only used to capture chat and such not really needed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:44:41 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 02:36:04 PM »
There is a fix out I heard but it breaks SS.
Is there really a fix out?  Where?

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
I heard il or lance talking about it. Let me see if I can find that thread.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
What if on one of those "unknown" Chinese servers there's like 100 people playing War2 right now :D
I though that way too that's why I get pissed when /con is reserved for admin s ahahahaha

Offline xboi209

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
At least no one in the StarCraft community has come up with a way to fix the graphical issues in the chat lobby, other than the famous W-Mode plugin.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
how does w-mode work?  is it something Lance could replicate for War2?

Offline xboi209

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »
how does w-mode work?  is it something Lance could replicate for War2?
I don't really know the specifics since the source code isn't available. I do know that some Windows and DirectDraw functions are hooked at least.

There is an open source implementation of W-Mode though but I haven't tried it myself: https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi/blob/master/bwapi/BWAPI/Source/WMode.cpp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:02:48 PM by xboi209 »

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
Well after speaking with different people on the forums I am starting to think it might be better just to hold a second tournament each month.
With a different map of course. I would keep the Gow tourney as the last Saturday of each month. And maybe do a second one on the 3rd Saturday of each month. And smeagol could keep his pball tourney on the 1st Saturday of each month.

Let me hear your thought guys should I do this or just try buying some ads.
war2 > war3

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
I disagree about hosting a second cash tourney in the same month. One money tourney every month is already an active scene... you don't want people to not care about missing them because another one is coming up so soon.  If you want to host a second tournament I don't think it needs to have cash involved.  I also think the best approach if you're spending money would be multi-pronged, one part having a monthly event, and one part bringing players in to the game?  Just having tournaments without bringing anyone out of touch or new into the game can only help so much

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
There just needs to be a net in place to catch the newbs who roll in.  In the past Mousetopher had the site hit and download stats and the ads were bringing in pretty many people but I don't know of any now regular users who are people that got brought in that way

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
I disagree about hosting a second cash tourney in the same month. One money tourney every month is already an active scene... you don't want people to not care about missing them because another one is coming up so soon.  If you want to host a second tournament I don't think it needs to have cash involved.  I also think the best approach if you're spending money would be multi-pronged, one part having a monthly event, and one part bringing players in to the game?  Just having tournaments without bringing anyone out of touch or new into the game can only help so much
Good point,
The whole purpose is to bring more players in. I suppose holding more tourney would only help existing ones.
Any other thoughts?
war2 > war3