Author Topic: There was a time...  (Read 47211 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
There was a time...
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
"There was a time when inventing new but feasible strategies was a far more important part of the game than pure execution could ever be. It was a time when new discoveries were still being made, and when we played on a speed that was probably even a slight tick slower than Even Faster. These were the wild wild west days of war2, when a man, like a cowboy, could step out and make his claim, when he could succeed or fail by his own grit and know-how."

Offline Thomas29

• Grunt
  • Hey hey hey, That's what I'll Say!
    • View Profile
Re: There was a time...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
Word I Hear Ya.
Eat Healthy, Stay Fit And Die Anyways.... Just Smoke Some Bud!

If I Don't Smoke Some Bud I Will Shrivel Up And Die Like A Beautiful Flower Without Water!

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:41:26 PM »
Honestly playing on a slower speed because it "supposedly" takes more skill has always been one of the stupidest claims I've ever heard. Apart from lat not allowing grabbing peons properly you speed anything up its going to be harder not easier. IF you slow something down you have more time to react, more time to think, and more time to plan. In my opinion people play EF and slower speeds because they are better when stuff is slowed down not because it takes more skill at all. Speed anything up outside of Warcraft 2 up and see if it makes it easier, you'll find slowing things down makes it easier not the other way around. Other than that cool post new strategies and the old days of Warcraft were great I agree, I just don't agree with the crap EF and slower speed(though I realize there's lat issues now).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:44:25 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
IF you slow something down you have more time to react, more time to think, and more time to plan.

and do your opponents.. hence more skill, more strategy.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:36:11 PM »
Yes more time, but does that equal more skill? Being able to make quick decisions and micro your units on the fastest speed, also to come up with those strategies in the same time you could on ef is what makes it harder. That's my point you could slow down any game, take Super Mario Brothers 3 on NES, it would just make it much easier to not get hit by enemies. Take any Call Of Duty game, it would just be silly as you could easily shoot the other people. Slowing it down by playing ef or slower makes it easier for many people because they have time to plan strategies and its easier to micro units, but there are people who could play he same strategies and execute their units the same on fastest.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:39:26 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »
Honestly playing on a slower speed because it "supposedly" takes more skill has always been one of the stupidest claims I've ever heard. Apart from lat not allowing grabbing peons properly you speed anything up its going to be harder not easier. IF you slow something down you have more time to react, more time to think, and more time to plan. In my opinion people play EF and slower speeds because they are better when stuff is slowed down not because it takes more skill at all. Speed anything up outside of Warcraft 2 up and see if it makes it easier, you'll find slowing things down makes it easier not the other way around. Other than that cool post new strategies and the old days of Warcraft were great I agree, I just don't agree with the crap EF and slower speed(though I realize there's lat issues now).

Humans are alot stronger on slower speeds. The heal spell can barely be casted mid battle specially with lat on current speeds. + Easier for them to catch an incoming death knight with polymorph/Exorcism and even Slow + drag peons off mine.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
That's my point though it changes the game play so that more people are able to play well. Also not being able to grab peons I mentioned in my first post I said besides that being an issue now. It can also alter strategies like you're mentioning. With a limited community I can see how it would make for better games, but if there were top BNE players prevalent on the server would it be necessary to slow it down in order to make good games? Being able to control your units correctly, and execute strategies in less time seems like a no brainer that would take more skill to me. Note: Humans are usually better on sea build maps on any speed often from what I understand because of invisibility and polymorph and that lust is harder to pull off island to island.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:53:53 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
The faster game speed changes how you prioritize and makes things more macro-oriented.  That's not necessarily good.  Starcraft doesn't run at a "fastest" speed.  Neither does any other game.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
"There was a time when inventing new but feasible strategies was a far more important part of the game than pure execution could ever be. It was a time when new discoveries were still being made, and when we played on a speed that was probably even a slight tick slower than Even Faster. These were the wild wild west days of war2, when a man, like a cowboy, could step out and make his claim, when he could succeed or fail by his own grit and know-how."
It was a magical time. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Kali IGL Stats

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Remember before there was shared vision, when you actually had to talk to your allies?

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
Warcraft 3 is played on fastest speed, Age Of Empires 2 is played on fastest generally. Besides Warcraft 2 and Starcraft there aren't many games where people choose to slow the game down, like I'm saying its known to make it easier. It can make it a better game because both people have more time to plan strategies and execute them, and it makes microing units easier. Still don't see your point, other than you have more time time to plan strategies.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »
No Warcraft 3 does not play at the speed of fastest.  No game does.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6246865293

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_version_history
^"Patch 1.12

New Features

Changed Speed from "Fast" to Fastest" for Ladder Games. "

Starcraft 1 and 2 ladder games are played on fastest. There are 100's of RTS games over the years, how can you make such a claim that every one is never played on fastest(there are many that are)? When I just provided links that 2 blizzard games are played on fastest lol.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:23:42 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
well if u got down to slowest..u could probably be very micro, probably be pretty fun pulling units engage back in fight and if you recorded and speed up ud look like a god.

slowest sounds fun.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »
Starcraft 1 and 2 ladder games are played on fastest. There are 100's of RTS games over the years, how can you make such a claim that every one is never played on fastest(there are many that are)? When I just provided links that 2 blizzard games are played on fastest lol.
Whoa dude, have you ever even played these games?  They do not move at the speed fastest does.  They move at the speed EF does.