Author Topic: SOLUTION TO W2/SERVER FOUND HERE  (Read 14841 times)

Offline MaStA{hR}

• Grunt
  • Hullo
    • View Profile
SOLUTION TO W2/SERVER FOUND HERE
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »
Of all of the games I've had the pleasure of playing, W2 is by far the greatest. It is now a poor imitation of what it used to be... with defining qualities such as:
Small community of players that will likely only diminish as time goes on
Major server issues like hosting [port forwarding - which is not user friendly to the average person] and periodic lag
Some concern over hacks

I don't have the time to do this, but here is the solution. I spoke with Lance about what's the next step... because we are all bickering or talking to each other back and forth and no one has actually stepped up and done anything. He said that he has to outsource the work that's left to do on this game to a team of developers because there is no time for him to do this probono. He is a very busy man that has to put food on the table. He has intricate knowledge of the coding and of the problems, and could potentially minimize the workload for a developer team to about 200-270 man hours. On the low end, this project would probably cost 30,000, with it topping out at about 50,000+ US Dollars. Lance would be the lead guy on the job but he won't be doing this for profit.

The solution is: Raise the money.
Q. How do you raise 30,000+?
A. Someone start a GoFundMe crowd funding page and start advertising and spamming the fuck out of it. Go door to door, spam friends at school, bug co-workers, beg family members for early Christmas money or prostitute your body. The question is, who will champion this project and give the money to Lance?

PS:
ONE student of mine raised $112,000 for kids in Haiti via crowdfunding and selling everything she owned. She was 17 years old at the time and did it in 9 months
ANOTHER student of mine raised $27,000 for an organization named Mariposa which deals with youth development and she did so by spamming her GoFundMe page on facebook and at school and did it in 4 months.
I had ANOTHER student raise $16,000 and did it in about 6 months.

It is all possible. Now let's do it! Please reply below and/or begin this. We need 1 championleader for this project to direct all of us. If we all go about our business as usual nothing will get done. Someone designate themselves or someone else to lead this project. I would do it, and I'd be one of the more qualified peoples to do it, but I'm sorry I will not be able to. However, I would be willing to match some donations to get the ball rolling.

The money will solve a lot of undercurrent issues. It won't help me because I am temporarily in the Dominican Republic and the PvPgn server conflicts with most 3rd world country providers. BUT, it will help out all of us fools that are in the US, Canada and Europe. We get this shit fixed guys, and we can have a game where the sky is the limit. 200-10k people on at any given time. We just have to fix our basic problems.

Yamon says he could "get the money today". I doubt it, but it'd be nice to believe him. Someone pester him? We now have clear direction and a solution. Our only barrier is money. Lezz do it!

IF NOTHING HAS CHANGED BY JANUARY, I WILL BEGIN RAISING MONEY AND EXCLUDE ALL OF YOU WHEN I GET A TROPHY. <3

EDIT: YOU WILL BE ASKING FOR DONATIONS, THERE IS NO INVESTMENT. NOONE WILL BE GETTING PRIVATE SHARES OF THE W2 SERVER OR ANYTHING. THE MATH EQUATION HERE IS IF LANCE HAS 30k = PERFECT W2 GAME.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:49:44 PM by MaStA{hR} »
I love this game!

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: SOLUTION TO W2/SERVER FOUND HERE
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »
Holy shit, $30000-$50000?  People are losing their minds if they think they'd get a return on investment worth a payment of that size.

Offline MaStA{hR}

• Grunt
  • Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
There is no investment. The return on investment is happy memories gaming!

Essentially people have to be looking for donations, not investments! We don't want ole Big Brother Blizz knocking on our doors.
I love this game!

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
With that investment, your better off getting blizzard involved.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
If people want iL to work faster on a specific project, why not try PMing him and offering him some money to put more focus into it?  He's doing all the work he's currently doing while having a job and being a busy guy, and he's doing it for free.  Instead of coming up with crazy $30,000 plans to hire entire development teams headed by a guy half the server already doesn't trust, has anyone asked iL if, were you to put $1000 in escrow for him, he would be able to complete X project by January 1?

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
Unfortunetely the busiest time of year for me is Oct/Nov/Dec as well as Jan/Feb/Mar (some of you may have noticed I've been absent for a while maybe? been very busy work wise).  The reason for this is that many businesses are getting their sites ready for the holidays which accounts for Oct/Nov/Dev, and then again at the beginning of the year as businesses get their new budgets for the year.  So I have not forgotten about this project, but I've put it on pause until I have more free time.  Masta asked me about some things and the only way I'd be able to contribute right now at this time of year is more of a development lead.  I had told him what it would take hours wise and that a team of developers could do it but those teams are NOT cheap.  Most teams run 150-200/hr and are generally teams of 3-5 people.  I have excellent knowledge of whats needed, and could direct such an effort but dont have that kind of time right now to do the actual coding myself because of the season, but directing others and explaining issues as well as the solutions is not all that much time at all,  something I could hand off to a dev team easily with crystal clear directions.  The best time for me is in the late spring and early summer when I dont have much going on.  Personally, I do not believe anyone in their right mind is going to be able to come up with 30k+ that would be needed but I wouldnt stop anyone from trying either.  One point I'd make though,  30K doesnt go to me.  I volunteer my time always for war2.  The cash would have to go to those that would do development but do not give two shits about war2.  My bet is that iL probably experiences the same heavy work loads as I do at this time of year since he's in a similar field.  IMO the most logical answer is to just be patient,  I do plan to continue to develop things as I am sure iL will as well but this time of year is busy probably for both of us.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 04:15:54 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
If people want iL to work faster on a specific project, why not try PMing him and offering him some money to put more focus into it?  He's doing all the work he's currently doing while having a job and being a busy guy, and he's doing it for free.  Instead of coming up with crazy $30,000 plans to hire entire development teams headed by a guy half the server already doesn't trust, has anyone asked iL if, were you to put $1000 in escrow for him, he would be able to complete X project by January 1?

This probably seems like the best idea,
What's the first project everyone wants done first?

I wouldn't mind raising some cash to throw il's way provided it gets done.

war2 > war3

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »
I don't know if iL has the time to take people up on an offer like that, but it does strike me as something that could be proposed before running off on grand schemes to create all new servers like I've seen tk and now masta propose, both of them talking about tens of thousands of dollars being invested on a 20-year-old game that we can already play as is

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:18:16 PM »
I'll give it a shot. Its worth a shot. I'm starting a new server any way... a new server with proactive enthusiastic leadership is the only hope for war2  IMO. Throwing money at a server without ambitious leaders is not wise IMO. Good idea masta.

Offline dellam

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
Fixing the server is only a small part of the solution. I would say 10-20%

Sorry to say , but nothing will happen masta, I have tried this twice before

Sent from my nokia 5110 using Tapatalk

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »

This probably seems like the best idea,
What's the first project everyone wants done first?

I wouldn't mind raising some cash to throw il's way provided it gets done.

Probably completion of anti-hack project and hardware ban.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »

I'll give it a shot. Its worth a shot. I'm starting a new server any way... a new server with proactive enthusiastic leadership is the only hope for war2  IMO. Throwing money at a server without ambitious leaders is not wise IMO. Good idea masta.

Correct. Board members often exile ineffective CEOs.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »
I sent lance a message. I basically let him know I really wish I could hire him to spear head the entire operation but based on past events the community (my self included) are hesitant to give him access to personal information or any amount of access to a server that could potentially be dangerous.

That being said there is no doubt he has a better understanding of what needs to be done and how to do it .. So i'm considering (if he is interested) hiring an outside professional programmer and basically putting the two of them in contact with eachother so that the programmer can do his job, but use lance as a resource center to consult with... The programmer would have the access and run the operation. Lance would assist with any issues or questions the programmer comes up with and be compensated as well.

We will see what Lance says.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »
Lance already posted in this thread.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
i didnt see that. it seems as if he is open to the idea and willing to do almost exactly what i think would be most beneficial to the project at this point