Author Topic: SOLUTION TO W2/SERVER FOUND HERE  (Read 14866 times)

Offline dellam

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: SOLUTION TO W2/SERVER FOUND HERE
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
Somebody should definitely put this on kick starter I don't think it's a bad idea at all but I need to get something for their money. Possibly a special icon or T-shirt or maybe special rights to do things that nobody else can do e.g. have their own avatar

Sent from my nokia 5110 using Tapatalk

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
TK is speaking a lot of sense. I don't 100% agree with him but I agree with about 80%. I knew he was far deeper than our arguments because of reading this forum for months and seeing him randomly on the server. This place is deadsville and I totally agree the bare minimum is what is done around here. I agree with Cam splitting to another server is a stupid idea the money should be poured into Server RU. I will do whatever I can to help this project if it comes to fruition.

Offline MaStA{hR}

• Grunt
  • Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
Yeah so what is the consensus here... It seems as though there are a few different ideas floating around.

1. Maintain and upgrade .RU's staff, server and development.
2. Revamp the War2 Custom Project that Feature and others were talking about
3. Start from scratch and create a whole new deal.

Also, where is Mouse's server based? In her home? I don't really get how she has her own server(s). Pretty cool, but I don't get it!

So what are we doing here? Because we're downplaying the fact that .RU exists and it wouldn't exist without the current and/or old admins. It's incredible that they were able to recreate Warcraft 2 and finally add the Single Player Campaign. I don't think enough has been done, but please let's not totally trash talk these W2 "Gods" haha.
I love this game!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
TK is speaking a lot of sense. I don't 100% agree with him but I agree with about 80%. I knew he was far deeper than our arguments because of reading this forum for months and seeing him randomly on the server. This place is deadsville and I totally agree the bare minimum is what is done around here. I agree with Cam splitting to another server is a stupid idea the money should be poured into Server RU. I will do whatever I can to help this project if it comes to fruition.

i would totally agree with that if i believed it would do good. i have a strong feeling they would take the money and make improvements (either iL would do it or hire other people to do it) ... which is good, no doubt about that. but i dont think those improvements or updates will mean anything without mechanisms in place to 1) keep the users we have and 2) bring new users to the server.. and 3) keep the new users we bring to the server.

based on what i've seen, blid is iL's right hand man because blid has been around a long time, and blid used to pay the $5 a month fee to host the server. i guess that $5 a month was a big deal to iL. once iL got new hosting, the payment increased from $5 a month to $15 a month and blid stopped paying. im not sure if he has picked it up or not yet. blid?

So we literally have a server owner who is not actively engaged in the community who has delegated most administrative responsibilities to Blid who is also not actively engaged with the community (well he is on the forums.. and smurfs 99% of the time on the server, so i dont know how engaged you would call that). Both of which seem extremely hesitant to delegate administrative responsibilities to other people.

I personally can't rationalize trying to financially support a project that will be managed by 1 or 2 people who literally seem pretty content with the way things are going.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Best case scenarios IMOin order:

1) iL finally wakes up and gives admin to a few users with some fire under their ass who are actively engaged with the entire community and basically gives them free reign to handle what direction the server goes. If blid is still part of the decision making process that's fine but his voice on matters should hold no more weight than anyone else's... which is very unlikely.

2) 1 or more users muster up a few grand and convince iL to sell them the server and hand over access to everything (this is probably the best case scenario that's is fairly realistic)

3) we create a new server and start from scratch. new owner. new leaders... unfortunately that's going to be a huge financial undertaking. still a possibility.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
Yeah so what is the consensus here... It seems as though there are a few different ideas floating around.

Also, where is Mouse's server based? In her home? I don't really get how she has her own server(s). Pretty cool, but I don't get it!

So what are we doing here? Because we're downplaying the fact that .RU exists and it wouldn't exist without the current and/or old admins. It's incredible that they were able to recreate Warcraft 2 and finally add the Single Player Campaign. I don't think enough has been done, but please let's not totally trash talk these W2 "Gods" haha.

many agree that looking back on how everything went down, creating this server and leaving battle.net did more harm than good long term.

calling them war2 gods is exactly the reason i think blid holds on to admin, does very little, and is hesitant to pass the torch to others with more ambition than himself. this is my own personal opinion... but i think he enjoys being what you call a "war2 god", not sharing the title with many others, and having to do very little to maintain that persona.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
i'm glad to see my idea is underway. You're welcome everyone. Just wanted to get that out of the way. Now that i have all of your attention, Yes. Yes we can do this. If everyone on the server contributes including myself we can easily come up with 30k. Now the way we need to do this is very specific.
#1 We need a war2 council. The war2 council should consist of experienced players, or players who have donated over 1,000 dollars.
#2 30,000 is an approximation. Finding developers who will work for cheaper shouldn't be hard.
#3 Lance needs to be in charge of the developement.
#4 Stupid spitballing ideas for the server CANNOT be accept. Leave the game alone. No player gets a special anything unless they're part of the council/staff
#5 server.war2.ru must be completely abandoned. The staff of server.war2.ru also must be abandoned. Not banned, just removed from power. The only staff i would recommend from server.war2.ru would be blid. Blid should be head admin on the new server.
#6 The essential problems that war2.ru face are all known by lance and are already adressed by lance, making this a 100% safe investment, most likely yielding AMAZING results
#7 ADVERTISEMENT. advertisement needs to be payed for as well. Mass advertisement like never before. Hire an entire advertisement team.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
i'm glad to see my idea is underway. You're welcome everyone. Just wanted to get that out of the way. Now that i have all of your attention, Yes. Yes we can do this. If everyone on the server contributes including myself we can easily come up with 30k. Now the way we need to do this is very specific.
#1 We need a war2 council. The war2 council should consist of experienced players, or players who have donated over 1,000 dollars.
#2 30,000 is an approximation. Finding developers who will work for cheaper shouldn't be hard.
#4 Stupid spitballing ideas for the server CANNOT be accept. Leave the game alone. No player gets a special anything unless they're part of the council/staff
#5 server.war2.ru must be completely abandoned. The staff of server.war2.ru also must be abandoned. Not banned, just removed from power. The only staff i would recommend from server.war2.ru would be blid. Blid should be head admin on the new server.
#6 The essential problems that war2.ru face are all known by lance and are already adressed by lance, making this a 100% safe investment, most likely yielding AMAZING results
#7 ADVERTISEMENT. advertisement needs to be payed for as well. Mass advertisement like never before. Hire an entire advertisement team.

the trust issues whether real or perceived with Lance that still exist would ensure imminent failure.. if some of the older users thought he had access to important information they would make sure the project failed.

i believe blid is a nice enough guy. i dont believe he is intentionally holding progress back... but he has made it 100% clear he doesnt believe the community can be re-built to anything significant. he believes this community is the way it is because that's just the  natural cycle of a nearly 20 year old game. he doesnt seem to believe much can be done to improve it..... explain why in the world you would want the "top dog" on the server to be the person who literally has no vision of what the server could and should be?

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »

the trust issues whether real or perceived with Lance that still exist would ensure imminent failure.. if some of the older users thought he had access to important information they would make sure the project failed.

i believe blid is a nice enough guy. i dont believe he is intentionally holding progress back... but he has made it 100% clear he doesnt believe the community can be re-built to anything significant. he believes this community is the way it is because that's just the  natural cycle of a nearly 20 year old game. he doesnt seem to believe much can be done to improve it..... explain why in the world you would want the "top dog" on the server to be the person who literally has no vision of what the server could and should be?

i agree they do seem rather content with a playerbase of 15 people. The only reason people don't trust lance is because he was banning people on his server that wasn't even really a server. So what has he really done? They also came up with some huge conspiracy theory that he was putting viruses on people's computers which seemed highly counter-intuitive to him going through the time and effort of creating a new server. Lance is completely trustworthy and has never really actually done anything wrong.

And the players that really don't trust him, who gives a fuck about them. I play wc2 every day and there's like 2 people i would miss if they didn't migrate to the new server. 0 fucks given there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:01:39 PM by Yamon »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
i dont know how much of it is true. i wasnt admin while it was all going on.. but my understanding is that he had quite a bit of access to the server. he got caught hacking and had his admin removed. he had access to a backdoor to the server (either he found it or created one before he was removed). then used that access to create lots of little problems that took a really long time to resolve. then DDossed server.war2.ru while he was trying to get war2 custom launched.

again i dont know how much of that is true or verified. i do know some of it to be true.

i also realize that the things i do know to be true happened quite a while ago and he seems to have been very helpful and cooperative the past year or two.

Offline xXxSmeagolxXx

• Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 PBall Players
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »
i dont know how much of it is true. i wasnt admin while it was all going on.. but my understanding is that he had quite a bit of access to the server. he got caught hacking and had his admin removed. he had access to a backdoor to the server (either he found it or created one before he was removed). then used that access to create lots of little problems that took a really long time to resolve. then DDossed server.war2.ru while he was trying to get war2 custom launched.

again i dont know how much of that is true or verified. i do know some of it to be true.

i also realize that the things i do know to be true happened quite a while ago and he seems to have been very helpful and cooperative the past year or two.
TK is right Lance is no saint. He may not have done some of the things he was accused of, but don't believe he is some saint. If you let Lance be the head of this project people will fight against it. I don't know lance from Adam except on this forum and what I heard  and saw about his server when that was happening, but I do not and would not trust him with 30-50k AT ALL. He seems like a nice guy and all and he would be a good asset to help, but putting him 100% in charge is silly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:34:16 PM by xXxSmeagolxXx »

Offline dellam

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
Kickstarter
$20 own avatar
$50 own avatar and shirt
$1,000 get on war2 council
$10 get invited and kept up to date on grand opening event

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »
Kickstarter
$20 own avatar
$50 own avatar and shirt
$1,000 get on war2 council
$10 get invited and kept up to date on grand opening event

that's all well and good dellam but some people are going to have to donate very large sums of money. people who can afford it. *cough*

Offline dellam

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »
What do you mean " have to donate" no one has to do it . Plus it's just an example . At least with a group of "owners" you could vote on subjects

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 02:56:00 AM »
If people want iL to work faster on a specific project, why not try PMing him and offering him some money to put more focus into it?  He's doing all the work he's currently doing while having a job and being a busy guy, and he's doing it for free.  Instead of coming up with crazy $30,000 plans to hire entire development teams headed by a guy half the server already doesn't trust, has anyone asked iL if, were you to put $1000 in escrow for him, he would be able to complete X project by January 1?

This probably seems like the best idea,
What's the first project everyone wants done first?

I wouldn't mind raising some cash to throw il's way provided it gets done.

Probably completion of anti-hack project and hardware ban.
Alright , anti-hack and hardware ban.
then what?
war2 > war3