War2.ru Slogan
News: Don't forget to join Channel: Trivia for trivia!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you here! :) You can register your account here, then feel free to introduce yourself in the Server.War2.ru board & let us know who you are on the server.

War2 graphics for Win Vista/7/8/8.1/10/2012 fixed 57521  213

Peon Posts: 5 Karma: +2/-0 **

fois

• Peon
    • View Profile
Re: War2 graphics for Win Vista/7/8/8.1/10/2012 fixed
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »
What i liked in GOG ideas: using current resolution, to not switch the game to 640x480 or w/e. That's great and very pleasant. What i disliked: that works for single player only, now for bnet chat.

Yeah, you can also do that in fullscreen with the updated one I linked and with cnc-ddraw too just like in the gog version.

Example war2_ddraw.ini:

[ddraw]
Windowed=Yes
MaintainAspectRatio=Yes
AlwaysOnTop=Yes
ShowWindowFrame=No
Width=1920
Height=1080

Example ddraw.ini for cnc-ddraw:

[ddraw]
fullscreen=true
maintas=true

UPD: also another interesting question:
which aqrit version it based on?
test2, test3, test4?
As i don't see d3d shaders, i'd suppose it's test2? Not so quick as test4 which supports d3d, but compatible with all videocards?

I use test2 because it's faster than test3 and test4 and it always works fine, even if you don't have graphic drivers installed and even if your hardware doesn't support dx9.

I tested a lot with GDI, Direct3D9 and OpenGL... GDI is always faster at low resolutions like 640x480 for our use case. I tried it with other games that support higher resolutions and found out that Direct3D9 and OpenGL will start to become faster than GDI at 1280x720 and above, but warcraft 2 only supports 1 resolution (640x480) so that means there is currently no use for Test3 and Test4.

@fois, i looked into your repositories and see one forked from narzoul/DDrawCompat. I also looked into narzoul's thing, to adapt it to war2. I like their coding style and lots complicated bugfixes. What do you think about to use fork from DDrawCompat for war2?

DDrawCompat is nice and has good performance, but I don't think we will need it for war2 (It has no windowed mode and no scaling).

omg! best performance love it!!!!

omg!!!!!!! like omg i need some beer!!!! thanks for the options!!!! i can use my little widgets!!

1 more thing,i have a dosbox that uses, i think its called scalers, im not sure..like 2x eagle2xsai,mame stuff..that makes the graphics almost perfect but no biggie cool as hell!

That's a nice idea with the widgets! :D

You can also use shaders with cnc-ddraw, but it does only work for single player right now (no bnet).

Step 1

Get cnc-ddraw here
https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases

Step 2

Download the shader you like to use
https://github.com/libretro/glsl-shaders

I think xBR looks the best with war2, eagle and sai don't give as good results. xBRZ is nice too.

Step 3

Configure ddraw.ini for 2x scaling with xBR

[ddraw]
width=1280
height=960
windowed=true
boxing=true
shader=Shaders\xbr-lv2.glsl
renderer=opengl

fois

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
I was just playing around with cnc-ddraw and I think I got it finally working on bnet for online games...

If someone wants to give it a try, extract cnc-ddraw.zip into your game folder. (It's attached below)

This one is preconfigured for scaling with xBR shader, it might show you the most beautiful warcraft 2 you have ever seen :)

This config runs at double resolution (or more), which is 1280x960. Will work fine if your monitor supports high resolutions such as 1920x1080 or above, otherwise you can't really use it with this config. Scaling via xBR requires somewhat good hardware with OpenGL 3.0 support.
Death Knight Posts: 3176 Karma: +77/-2 retired, be in music section *********

easycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
nice!!! kinda "hot wax" look

looks great,and plays well, im going with 800x600 not the best hardware here.

my .jpg doesnt give justice lol.

fois

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2019, 12:07:36 AM »
nice!!! kinda "hot wax" look

looks great,and plays well, im going with 800x600 not the best hardware here.

my .jpg doesnt give justice lol.

You might be able to use a different shader on your hardware, xBR is good looking but pretty slow... try "shader=Shaders\cubic.glsl" maybe.

I attached some pictures in case someone is interested how xBR looks like.

Picture 1 shows how the game looks like if you play in a window without scaling.
Picture 2 shows how the game looks like if you play fullscreen without cnc-ddraw xBR (Typical blurry graphics card scaling)
Picture 3 shows how the game looks like with cnc-ddraw + xBR