Author Topic: New bnet-server started  (Read 24459 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: New bnet-server started
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I don't know GruntX that well but I do know he's been a War2 player for 15-20 years like the rest of us and that he's never been involved in any drama or trouble that I'm aware of.  Seems like a pretty cool offer, definitely something to look into imo.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
As long as this isn't, like, secretly Lance, who after recommending the host to iL then shows up posing as GruntX or something weird like that haha.

Offline GruntX

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
1. I can provide information that would confirm that I am actually GruntX. I'm pretty sure there are still people that play that know enough about me to know that it's me not {Lance}.

2. I wouldn't need access to the server at all. You can harden the server however you wish with any passwords you like, I don't need root access to it to migrate it over to my account, or even access it at all. It would literally be like you calling up Linode and asking to move your account to a different account, the person at Linode wouldn't ask you for root access to your data. I would just add you as a user in my linode manager and give you access to the linode from within my manager, that way you aren't getting charged for it. You would have to log in to your own account to kick off the migration.

3. I have no interest in users data or anything but I understand you take that with a grain of salt. Especially nowadays. I barely even play war2 anymore, I am just offering this up for the community, being that I know you guys put a lot of effort into keeping war2 alive, regardless of whether I play or not. I have respect for that, even for {Lance}, at least he's trying to help out.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
Yeah sounds like a pretty cool offer.  It's up to iL

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Well, GruntX, i know you as a good old player, but i don't know you are. If Blid trust you, i think that could be a good opportunity for us.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »
Let me know if you are interested and I can help you out, atleast save you some money, or give you a free backup for war2.
Well, that means you will have an access to the server data, right?
My previous experience tells me to not share the server config (and especially user database) to anyone (except 1-2 admins maybe).

About migration to Europe, that's possible if latency to Newark will be low for many people...

Based on what I have seen in the last 6 months or so i honestly don't think someone compromising the server data is a real threat.

The server is dead. I know people don't like to hear it but it is in extremely bad shape right now. It is hard to get a game. It sucks.

Obviously it's your call, but at this point this server is just slightly more valuable than a cow with no milk.

You pretty much have nothing to lose....

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

Obviously it's your call, but at this point this server is just slightly more valuable than a cow with no milk.

[emoji23]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
Let me know if you are interested and I can help you out, atleast save you some money, or give you a free backup for war2.
Well, that means you will have an access to the server data, right?
My previous experience tells me to not share the server config (and especially user database) to anyone (except 1-2 admins maybe).

About migration to Europe, that's possible if latency to Newark will be low for many people...

Based on what I have seen in the last 6 months or so i honestly don't think someone compromising the server data is a real threat.

The server is dead. I know people don't like to hear it but it is in extremely bad shape right now. It is hard to get a game. It sucks.

Do something about it duh! Help out...

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »
I recommended it because I knew GruntX worked there.  Then I could pretend to be GruntX and get the ser.... what garbage.  I've heard that rodeo call before.  I recommended it because I use it myself among other services.  It's cheap, reliable (well except for this past Christmas for about 12 days which I'm sure GruntX can tell you all about considering it targeted Atlanta and Newark), and easy to manage.  Everything that a war2 server would need.  The DDOS protection that it has is not the best but it is good enough for our purposes.  If he offered to move it to his account, I can tell you though, he wouldnt need a pw to access the server at all (hyperviser is KVM and Xen, no need for PW).  It's a risk worth taking none the less if it's free.  Heck he probably could do it without the Linode Account.  They can look up accounts by IP as well, and move it without your authorization.  :P

But really, if it's something he can offer free,  I'd take it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:49:57 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »
I recommended it because I knew GruntX worked there.  Then I could pretend to be GruntX and get the ser.... what garbage.  I've heard that rodeo call before.  I recommended it because I use it myself among other services.  It's cheap, reliable (well except for this past Christmas for about 12 days which I'm sure GruntX can tell you all about considering it targeted Atlanta and Newark), and easy to manage.  Everything that a war2 server would need.  The DDOS protection that it has is not the best but it is good enough for our purposes.  If he offered to move it to his account, I can tell you though, he wouldnt need a pw to access the server at all (hyperviser is KVM and Xen, no need for PW).  It's a risk worth taking none the less if it's free.  Heck he probably could do it without the Linode Account.  They can look up accounts by IP as well, and move it without your authorization.  :P

But really, if it's something he can offer free,  I'd take it.
I don't think money is an issue. This would be a possible security risk, and maybe issues like occult forums. Not being able to get the data we need if shit hits the fan with host. Terrible idea! Not saying nothing bad about you grunt just don't know you and hard to compare with the risks with that....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:53:40 PM by tupac »

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 11:57:16 PM »
Well to be fair,  he could do that with or without iL's knowing or authorization.  Since he could do it anyway,  why not just take the offer :P  If he's going to do somethin bad (which is not likely),  he'll do it.  Better to have it done on a free server than one you're paying for I suppose heh.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
Well to be fair,  he could do that with or without iL's knowing or authorization.  Since he could do it anyway,  why not just take the offer :P  If he's going to do somethin bad (which is not likely),  he'll do it.  Better to have it done on a free server than one you're paying for I suppose heh.
Sounds like he will hack you or already has just give him the info anyway.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 04:20:25 AM »
Technically, about how to steal data for hosting owner: the easiest way is to insert a boot CD and reboot. Then do everything you need and reboot again.

Well to be fair,  he could do that with or without iL's knowing or authorization.
If he is an employee in hosting company, there's a big difference: to get data from your own hosting or to steal it from one of clients...

(That's not an accusation against anybody, just a technical explaination.)

I don't know our members of community well, i know GruntX as a good and old player, i never heared about any conflicts between him and others, so maybe it's just a paranoia. But every admin is a little paranoid.
When i keep the server that means people trust me their personal data. At the same time what private data could be located on the server (except passwords, that are reversable and that means people should never use the same passwords anywhere else, i told about that also).
Also our community is small and almost dead, that's true.

So, I'd say it's up to community. If people trust someone, let it be so. If someone distrust, we can keep separately and pay it ourselves. I don't think $10-$20 per month is a big problem for most war2 players.

At the same time this forum is working fine on mousey's hosting and nothing bad still happened.

I also think  we should trust people who can and want to help. Most people really care of war2, community and want to help.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline GruntX

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
You guys let me know what you want me to do if anything. I just put it out there to try and help this dying community out, or at least save you some money on hosting. Everything that {Lance} has said is true. However, for me to compromise a customers data would be putting my job on the line, and I wouldn't put my job on the line for war2 :).

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
This is what happen when your letting a server to peoples who are less smarter then some crackhead of the down town.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.