Author Topic: Which version of GOW should I practice more on?  (Read 12079 times)

Offline EviL~SnOoPdOgG

• Peon
    • View Profile
Re: Which version of GOW should I practice more on?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
You'd better have time to play 24/7, well at least if u wanna play in the tournaments. There are players that have played this game for over 20 years or so. I've stopped trying to be the best because I don`t have the time and now I just play for fun when I can.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
You can ask around on war2, and everyone well tell you i am the most experienced mentor with unmatched results. My former students are:
Medivh: http://ladder.war2.ru/index.php
Lone: http://ladder.war2.ru/player.php/php?player=lone

and this was my mentor for half a decade, swift:
http://ladder.war2.ru/player.php/php?player=swift

lone and medivh were both really new when i found them, but i could see very large potential in them. I will able to tell you if you have what it takes or not as well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:54:33 PM by Yamon »

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
Hmm,  I dont know about tournament play.  From what I read,  it's usually the maps that people dont play a lot of that are in those.  Maps like PoS see quite a bit of play in EF tournaments,  especially those that only have 1 round of GoW in them (if its in there at all).  I think the next EF based tourney coming up is a Loser picks type setup and you can only play a map once, whether it was a win or a loss.  So each map is only played once, regardless.  I think PoS, HSC, FoC, and Friends could see a lot of play in that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:55:06 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Ishmokin

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:57 AM »
You'd better have time to play 24/7, well at least if u wanna play in the tournaments. There are players that have played this game for over 20 years or so. I've stopped trying to be the best because I don`t have the time and now I just play for fun when I can.

I don't plan to join the tourneys, but I plan to be a spectator and want to learn how to play in those maps. :) Or just in-house tourneys with my brother and his friends :)

I like 1v1 and was late in getting "serious" in RTS genre. I started taking it seriously when sc2 came out.  I played war 2 back in the late 90's but was ignorant of any competitive scene and strategies. When SC 1 came out my friends and i shifted to it and forgot about war 2.

Glad to be back and my brother and I were having a blast doing 1v1 on GOW BNE. He recruiting his friends to get back playing as well :)

Offline Ishmokin

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:59:13 AM »
You can ask around on war2, and everyone well tell you i am the most experienced mentor with unmatched results. My former students are:

lone and medivh were both really new when i found them, but i could see very large potential in them. I will able to tell you if you have what it takes or not as well.

I would love to be mentored by you however that might be asking too much as I am just an enthusiast and not having any pro gaming ambitions.

I just need a tutor to get my skill level up to speed somewhat for serious play but not necessarily for tournament level success. 

That said I very much open to learn from you and the rest of the community. I really appreciate the help and inputs. Thank you. :)

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »

I would love to be mentored by you however that might be asking too much as I am just an enthusiast and not having any pro gaming ambitions.

I just need a tutor to get my skill level up to speed somewhat for serious play but not necessarily for tournament level success. 

That said I very much open to learn from you and the rest of the community. I really appreciate the help and inputs. Thank you. :)

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
If you can stomach Yamon's jupiter sized ego, he does have enough insight to get you pointed in the right direction.  His game is still weak but it is at least in tier 7 or 8.  Pay close attention to where he places the hall in relation to the mines around the map.  Thats about the best advice he can provide that is accurate.  Lol jk.  He should be able to give good basic starting cookbook set ups that will give you the economy you need to progress into the later stages of the game where his knowledge and experience drops off. 
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »

I don't plan to join the tourneys, but I plan to be a spectator and want to learn how to play in those maps. :) Or just in-house tourneys with my brother and his friends :)

I like 1v1 and was late in getting "serious" in RTS genre. I started taking it seriously when sc2 came out.  I played war 2 back in the late 90's but was ignorant of any competitive scene and strategies. When SC 1 came out my friends and i shifted to it and forgot about war 2.

Glad to be back and my brother and I were having a blast doing 1v1 on GOW BNE. He recruiting his friends to get back playing as well :)
The fact is that learning rushing, walling, and res management on one map will allow you to apply them to any other map. So learning new maps, once you know the game, doesn't really involve anything more than getting a concept of what the map looks like and maybe a few minor tricks, nothing more than that.  The key is to just get that foundational knowledge of the game that you can only get from experience and watching others.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
For learning purposes just play classic GOW, EF and nothing else. If you want to have fun play other built-in maps, but they won't really give you any insight into essential mechanics that can't already be found on classic GOW. You will still find yourself on occasion playing maps that have a certain uniqueness to them like water maps, nwtr, and ones that have more gold scarcity than you will be used to on GOW, but once you understand GOW for the most part, you will be able to pick up those maps with just a few easy adjustments.

GOW BNE is a relatively similar map to classic GOW, and the way it is played has a lot of similarities as well as long as you don't change the game speed. Hardly anyone plays it though, so you might as well be practicing on the map that people do play so you can concentrate completely on learning the tactics and maneuvers that are exclusive to classic GOW.

Yamon also gave you a great piece of advice - focus on playing people who are better than you. If you don't make this a conscious effort, you will probably find yourself unknowningly resorting to almost only playing people you can contend with and it will slow your learning process.
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
my game is very strong, a week of unrusting and here's the results

there is also no point in the game where my knoweldge or experience fails me.
I don't even have to think. Not even lego's late game can compare to mine.

Here's an ss of a 45 minute game vs lego with the watchers accusing me of hacking.

It's easy because swift taught me everything i'll ever need to know about early,mid, and late game.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:29:21 PM by Yamon »

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
Didn't you say Medivh is your student?  How come you haven't taught him to beat you yet?

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
More importantly, why do you have two losses to Medivh? And, why is Medivh losing to you?

Seems pretty embarrassing for both sides.  :-[
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
More importantly, why do you have two losses to Medivh? And, why is Medivh losing to you?

Seems pretty embarrassing for both sides.  :-[

2nd week back on war2.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
Didn't you say Medivh is your student?  How come you haven't taught him to beat you yet?
i have. he's beaten me countless times, but the student never surpasses the master.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »

^-- Ya what he said.

And table the ego Yamon,  it's disgusting,  always has been, always will be.  Why dont you post the warvid of the 12/2 beatdown that I handed you while you cried that your partners didnt help?  I didnt receive help, so the crying was unwarranted.  Then you proceeded to stomp off in a hissy fit leaving the game 20 minutes early instead of stick around to play again once the game finished.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:59:04 PM by {Lance} »