Author Topic: Which version of GOW should I practice more on?  (Read 12215 times)

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Which version of GOW should I practice more on?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Didn't you say Medivh is your student?  How come you haven't taught him to beat you yet?

^-- Ya what he said.

And table the ego Yamon,  it's disgusting,  always has been, always will be.  Why dont you post the warvid of the 12/2 beatdown that I handed you while you cried that your partners didnt help?  I didnt receive help, so the crying was unwarranted.  Then you proceeded to stomp off in a hissy fit leaving the game 20 minutes early instead of stick around to play again once the game finished.

Offline Ishmokin

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 01:36:33 AM »
For learning purposes just play classic GOW, EF and nothing else. If you want to have fun play other built-in maps, but they won't really give you any insight into essential mechanics that can't already be found on classic GOW. You will still find yourself on occasion playing maps that have a certain uniqueness to them like water maps, nwtr, and ones that have more gold scarcity than you will be used to on GOW, but once you understand GOW for the most part, you will be able to pick up those maps with just a few easy adjustments.

GOW BNE is a relatively similar map to classic GOW, and the way it is played has a lot of similarities as well as long as you don't change the game speed. Hardly anyone plays it though, so you might as well be practicing on the map that people do play so you can concentrate completely on learning the tactics and maneuvers that are exclusive to classic GOW.

Yamon also gave you a great piece of advice - focus on playing people who are better than you. If you don't make this a conscious effort, you will probably find yourself unknowningly resorting to almost only playing people you can contend with and it will slow your learning process.

Sure will do. Will practice on classic GOW and will be actively seeking out better players (in this case anyone in War2 server haha). Yup losing doesn't bother me, i see it as learning opportunities.  It's very similar to Fighting games, Dont be afraid of losing to better players. In the process I get better.

I got my ass handed to me constantly the other day, took a beating, but in the process I experience for the first time someone building a Rax in front of my gold mine and me didnt know who to handle it. I guess the key is to not let that Peon inside the base.

Looking forward to playing in the war2 server alot. Many thanks to you all for the advice!
 Cheers!:)

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 02:16:44 AM »
the easiest way to deal with a rax is to build 2 or more guard towers in your own base that are in target range of the rax (but that dont impead your own gold flow once its down) so that it dies faster and kills any grunts that pop out of it.  But you'll also need to make sure they are not towering you as well.  If they are,  always stay 1 tower ahead and you will always win because they wasted res on a rax and you didnt.

Once you get better,  you'll also be able to kill the rax AND do the same thing to them and pressure them at their base and then you'll find that killing the rax at your base becomes MUCH easier since they are busy looking at their base while you are kicking their ass ;)  In a neighbor war vs 2 good players,  you'll see that both players pressure the other and at the same time are still able to fend off the other's attack.  The result is usually that no one dies right away but both players are significantly slowed.  The player slowed the most,  usually ends up losing later in the game.

The idea behind the whole pscout neighbor thing is to kill your neighbor if you can, but if not,  then the goal is to slow them more than they can slow you.  You'll be able to tell what their intentions are by what they build in your town.  If they build a rax,  then they have no intentions of killing you quickly.  Their intentions are to slow your gold flow as soon as possible and slow you as much as they can.  Doing this is MUCH easier than trying to kill them quickly with guard towers so many many players will opt to rax you rather than kill you with GT's.  Better players will actually do BOTH rax and kill you with GT's,  but that requires excellent resource management and is usually only effective if its done by a seasoned player who can assess the situation instantly and know exactly what to do and not do,  determine if something has a high probability of success based on the layout of the board,  etc.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:27:15 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
Sure will do. Will practice on classic GOW and will be actively seeking out better players (in this case anyone in War2 server haha). Yup losing doesn't bother me, i see it as learning opportunities.  It's very similar to Fighting games, Dont be afraid of losing to better players. In the process I get better. I got my ass handed to me constantly the other day, took a beating, but in the process I experience for the first time someone building a Rax in front of my gold mine and me didnt know who to handle it. I guess the key is to not let that Peon inside the base. Looking forward to playing in the war2 server alot. Many thanks to you all for the advice!  Cheers!:)

I'm garbage at gow so probably at or close to your level (if you aren't already better than me :D), let's 1v1 sometime

Yamon, I've forgotten 99% of our gow lessons, can I get a refresher? c:
squeak!

Offline Ishmokin

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
@Mousetopher

Sure! I'm always game for a 1v1  :D

Offline LuX

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
The real question is can Yamon beat me once out of 10 games.

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »
Sure will do. Will practice on classic GOW and will be actively seeking out better players (in this case anyone in War2 server haha). Yup losing doesn't bother me, i see it as learning opportunities.  It's very similar to Fighting games, Dont be afraid of losing to better players. In the process I get better. I got my ass handed to me constantly the other day, took a beating, but in the process I experience for the first time someone building a Rax in front of my gold mine and me didnt know who to handle it. I guess the key is to not let that Peon inside the base. Looking forward to playing in the war2 server alot. Many thanks to you all for the advice!  Cheers!:)

I'm garbage at gow so probably at or close to your level (if you aren't already better than me :D), let's 1v1 sometime

Yamon, I've forgotten 99% of our gow lessons, can I get a refresher? c:

hit me up when you're on war2