Author Topic: What are the best data recovery companies?  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
What are the best data recovery companies?
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »
I had a moment of intense frustration with my laptop being slow and slammed my fist into the keyboard. Needless to say, it was pretty stupid of me. A show of my bad luck though, apparently I hit the machine right where the harddrive resides and completely broke it. The laptop itself is of no importance to me, however, the data saved on memory in the harddrive is of great importance to me. A few marketing spreadsheets with thousands of entries that I would like to recover. Most of my data is backed up on a usb/email/external hard drive. But I am short a copy of 2-3 files that I would rather not to have to recompile and enter - such a long dreadful task.

Anyway, I'm guessing my only potential remedy is to ship it to a data recovery company, and just skip taking it around to local repair shops, as I bet they'll just unknowninly mess around with it until the disks inside destroy the data.

Anyone who has any experience with a situation like this I would greatly appreciate your insight / referrals to top tier data recovery companies, and I realize they are relatively expensive but just about any cost would be worth it to me. I'm currently in talks with Advanced Data Recovery out of Sacramento, CA and another company out of Seattle, WA but I just don't kno what route to go and I don't want to pick a b level data recover company who's going to mess something up in the process of attempting to get the data, then failing to get it and making it impossible for the next company to try.

Any help appreciated!
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
What are the best data recovery companies?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »
If the data is that valuable to you, just send it to a reputable company, may cost more but probably better than having  headaches later...

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best data recovery companies?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »
next time punch the wall  8)..always save to a usb.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
Try the cheap way first swift. Order a USB and sata adapter hook it up and plug in the HD if that worked good get your files or send it away.

You could also use a Live CD known a trinity and make that laptop a file server and try to transfer off the files through the network.

Offline Warchief Lightbringer-

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 05:34:16 AM »
This is why you use an online service like dropbox to insta back up files like those....
Try to get a quote first. Many companies do this online and the service does not come cheap.
aka DeaDLyGaMeS

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:54:59 AM »
I had a moment of intense frustration with my laptop being slow and slammed my fist into the keyboard. Needless to say, it was pretty stupid of me. A show of my bad luck though, apparently I hit the machine right where the harddrive resides and completely broke it.

Lmao.
Quote from: Swift
i don't know if i'll ever forgive you for how you treated turtleman

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
I had a moment of intense frustration with my laptop being slow getting owned in War2 and slammed my fist into the keyboard.

You got owned by Yamon in War2 again?

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
Try the cheap way first swift. Order a USB and sata adapter hook it up and plug in the HD if that worked good get your files or send it away.

In my experience this hardly ever works when the hdd is physically damaged, especially if it's making any kind of sound.

I called a local data recovery place once with the same problem and LB's right, it's hella expensive. I think the guy said there were two options, an "easy" way and a more complicated way if the easy way didn't work, and it was like $400 for one and at least $800 for the other? But he sounded confident that the data could be successfully recovered in almost any situation.
squeak!

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »

In my experience this hardly ever works when the hdd is physically damaged, especially if it's making any kind of sound.

I called a local data recovery place once with the same problem and LB's right, it's hella expensive. I think the guy said there were two options, an "easy" way and a more complicated way if the easy way didn't work, and it was like $400 for one and at least $800 for the other? But he sounded confident that the data could be successfully recovered in almost any situation.

Yes he can spend less then 20usd to see if the device need to be sent away for expensive recovery.

He can verify if it physically screwed HD or not with this step here.
1. Download Trinity.iso CPR software.
2. Use yumi to install to usb.
3. Plug Internet cable to router and pc.
4. Boot to USB and choose file server.
5. Login to it from different PC and see if it reads the files.

If works congrats and when done with this step practice cloning then HD and deploying that image. If not sorry about that bill man.

Edit swift: Does the laptop boot at all? Say operating not found? Or just doesn't start windows at all?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:43:55 AM by tupac »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
Had this happen this morning .....os not found I'm like hdd is dead!!!! But my pc is like idk wierdest shit I ever seen gotta play with the ram if it foesnt boot...anyhow did that booted right up :/ bad mobo for me :( so kicked the shit out of it!!!!(I didn't) take hdd out put in a desktop see if it slaves cheapest route
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:42:32 PM by easycompany »

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
Had this happen this morning .....os not found I'm like hdd is dead!!!! But my pc is like idk wierdest shit I ever seen gotta play with the ram if it foesnt boot...anyhow did that booted right up :/ bad mobo for me :( so kicked the shit out of it!!!!(I didn't) take hdd out put in a desktop see if it slaves cheapest route
Model and Laptop type?

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »

The Data Recovery companies I've talked to this far have told me that the worst thing I can do is try to turn the hard drive on in anyway.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »

Yes he can spend less then 20usd to see if the device need to be sent away for expensive recovery.

He can verify if it physically screwed HD or not with this step here.
1. Download Trinity.iso CPR software.
2. Use yumi to install to usb.
3. Plug Internet cable to router and pc.
4. Boot to USB and choose file server.
5. Login to it from different PC and see if it reads the files.

If works congrats and when done with this step practice cloning then HD and deploying that image. If not sorry about that bill man.

Edit swift: Does the laptop boot at all? Say operating not found? Or just doesn't start windows at all?

It turns on and goes to a black screen saying "No bootable devices"

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
Cool if you want to pull the hard drive, and put it back in I would try that first. Listen for weird noises from the HD also. I once hit my laptop and windows 7 would keep blue screening on my win 7 until i reformatted.

But yea you need the data thats the important task. If you got 15 bucks to spare order an adaptor for you HD try that before you spend 400$ +.

Idk how technical you can be so if you want the free way to verify I can give you a very good written tutorial maybe walk you through the steps just let me know.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »
compaq cq5700 desktop,simple mobo am3 stock stuff ...got it for the case drives anyhow but have added on to it,3 core going to max it to a 6 core when prices hit..pci adapter for the vidcard ...sounds like a bottle neck but has helped alot, its already overkill for all the games i play since im old school.

what i like about it this pc is 60-90 watt and quite.  got a opeteron that is 200+watt :o.
total price 40$ so far lol im cheap  ;D
and another thing if you drink at the pc and listen to music watch ya beer!! how my other lappy died :o party is over  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

hope ya get your shit back man!! fuck anger always screws shit up  :'(

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:36:31 PM by easycompany »