Author Topic: [solved]I'm having some problems  (Read 11303 times)

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
[solved]I'm having some problems
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:35 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm leaving this message in the right place but I've only just signed up to this forum so forgive me!

last night I tried to play a game of Warcraft 2 with my brother but when we installed War2Combat on his laptop we found that when he tried to play the screen seemed to be zoomed in at the top left to some extent and he couldn't move his mouse beyond that point, and anything that he couldn't see on the screen he couldn't select with the mouse. Also is it possible to have computer bots in these online games?

We tried the "classic" game play to attempted a network game just through his internet hub before hand but we couldn't get that to work either. But when we tried to play through the server we both tried to create a game but found that once we had done this we got a message saying something like "your game has been closed, no one can join your game. There are some other problems as well but I don't want to raise too many at once.

Any advice that could be offered would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Johno.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:02:01 PM by tupac »

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having some problems
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »
the game being closed and no one being able to join it sounds like a port problem, which is one of the biggest problems our game has when it comes to getting new players. Maybe tupac or evil~ryu on the forums can help you out there.

You can have computer bots in online games yes, though you cannot choose if there on a team or against each other, so no 2v2v2 or anything like that, it would end up a 2v4 instead.  or a free for all if you choose the free for all settings.

As for advice, if you plan on playing with other players, if you get asked "s9?" from a player upon joining a Garden of War game, answer 30k or they will ban you from there game. They do this because they don't want noobs in there game. if they ask you "11?" answer 65k. Our community is a bit shit to newer players so if you're not just playing with your friend you'll have to endure a bit. The custom maps community is a bit more open to newer players, but can still be harsh.

If you're wondering what s9? means it's a location on the map with a gold mine where if a clock was pointing at 9'o'clock it would be pointing at this mine in question. When you are asked "s9?" they are trying to ask you how much gold does the mine in Small-9 contain. The answer is 30000 gold, 30k for short.

with "11?" question, same thing. The mine if a clock was pointing at 11 o clock, this contains 65000 gold.

Hope that helps if you ever play Garden of War and encounter these type of questions from other players.

Watching games is also a nice way to figure out how where to build your buildings in certain spawn locations, if you build it in the exact spots you can sometimes wall your base off or shorten entry points for your opponent. if your playing against computers, a wall-in like this with a Cannon Tower or Catapult is very helpful compared to just making alot of towers everywhere. As they would need to destroy your farms, barracks, lumber mills or whatever you placed in the wall-in spot first before they can reach your tower/catapult. This is good because the other buildings have alot more health then a tower, and you can always repair your buildings with peasants/peons when they're attacked too. :) hope this little bit of advice helps

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
I'm having some problems
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
Wow great advice Winchester [emoji14][emoji106]

Please post this in the correct support section of the forum next time! [emoji847]

Check the server website, it has great tips on how to host by correctly port forwarding your router. Specific model/router portforward instructions can be found at portforwarding.com .

But, If you didn't understand a word I just said and are even more lost than ever, let me or Tupac know and we can further provide 1x1 assistance.

Happy gaming.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:11:57 AM by EviL~Ryu »

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
The Game port being closed,  not the game being closed :P.  This means that 6112 is closed on your router and has not yet been opened for incoming traffic.  However, since you are both on the same network, that still wouldnt be enough.  You would need to change one of the computers to use a different port such as 6113 or something else.  There are instructions on how to do both of these here: 

http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,151.0.html   <--- 2 Machines on the same network
http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,385.0.html    <---- Port forwarding to open 6112 so you can host.
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
Yes make sure to use the newer version of combat. Try using the loader it has UPNP support if it's enabled then it should work for you and automatically port forward. If not enable or port forward manually any problem or questions you can ask.

You can use the melee setting click on the slot and add a CPU to play with.

Now for that video problem, make sure to update drivers, and if you have windows 8.1 above make sure to uncheck color fix for Windows 7 when you install war2 and apply the fix for 10 manually. You can do this all in about 20 minutes.

Thanks
-tupac
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:46:17 PM by tupac »

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »
Wow great advice Winchester

Thanks.

Heres an example picture of the cannon tower protected by farms  Johno

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
Thats not the correct setup.  That farm would get absolutely destroyed by grunts.  You need more than 2 repairing peons to be able to fend off a good player.  Back it off 1 square and then it's correct.  The raxes could also optionally be placed right on the farms so that they cannot be completely surrounded by attacking units.  They would also serve as a barrier between the farms and any possible saps as well.  But in all truthfullness,  never use farms as a wall if you can avoid it.  Always use a rax or temple instead.  Also,  the farm placement themselves are incorrect.  The top right side has to much facing the opponent.  Kick them in more so that there is less facing outwards than inwards.  I would have placed the raxes on top of that top farm to protect that farm's corner.  The bottom farm isnt to bad,  it's outward face allows less units on the right side than it does on the left side, which is correct.  The idea is to be able to put more repairers on the building than the attacker can put offensive units.

Bottom line,  judging by the many mistakes in this SS,  I'd venture to say that this player isnt someone that should be giving building placement advice ;)  But it does get the basic idea across.  Make sure the cannon is protected by something, even if it's all fucked up like in this SS.  Its still better than nothing at all.

For a better explanation of proper wall-in,  see this:  http://classic.battle.net/war2/gs/wallin.shtml  Take notice of how the buildings are staggered so that they have less vulnerable faces than what is depicted in the above screenshot.  It also explains why a barracks should be used instead of a farm when it's possible.  If at all possible ALWAYS use a barracks or a temple.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:15:22 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »
i just pulled it off google, I don't even know the map it was on but it's a fine enough example of how to protect a tower by walling it in, even if its not the best wall in :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:00:07 PM by Winchester »

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »
Thank you everybody for your suggestions, I can now see how you can have computer bots online, and I'll let you know how I get on with trying to sort the port problem out. Does anyone else have any other ideas about why the picture would be zoomed in at the top left on my brothers laptop?

Thanks.

Johno.

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »
If you can post a screenshot of it that would probably help tupac help you out a little easier.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Thank you everybody for your suggestions, I can now see how you can have computer bots online, and I'll let you know how I get on with trying to sort the port problem out. Does anyone else have any other ideas about why the picture would be zoomed in at the top left on my brothers laptop?

Thanks.

Johno.

Ahh, I believe a setting needs to be changed in your graphics card control panel? Maybe someone can add to this...Lance?

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
try 640x480 reso before recording.iknow it sounds terrible but that's what it sounds like to me as it will be a squate in the top left on higher reso's
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:25:29 PM by easycompany »

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »

Thanks.

Johno.
Yes would be nice if you could get on your brothers computer. It would make troubleshooting alot easier? You can tell him to come here if you can't get his pc.

It's most likely a setting that needs changed or updates need to be made. We can always remote desktop and take care of the problem in real time.

Let me know.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
He is describing a non-stretch situation.  The screen is probably showing the full war2 screen, but is a tiny ass box in the upper left corner.  This is caused when you dont have screen stretching enabled,  it usually affects laptops or low end desktops that have shit video cards that dont have a native 640x480 resolution (they may only go down to 800x600).  So a screenshot (probably with a phone) would probably best describe the issue.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »
Sounds like the same issue as this guy? http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,159.0.html

squeak!