Author Topic: [solved]I'm having some problems  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
Re: I'm having some problems
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
In the properties of the War2Combat exe, you could try applying "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" under the Compatibility tab.  Has this been recommended already?

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
I'm having some problems
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 04:45:23 PM »
He is describing a non-stretch situation.  The screen is probably showing the full war2 screen, but is a tiny ass box in the upper left corner.  This is caused when you dont have screen stretching enabled,  it usually affects laptops or low end desktops that have shit video cards that dont have a native 640x480 resolution (they may only go down to 800x600).  So a screenshot (probably with a phone) would probably best describe the issue.

Follow this ---^^^^

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
Well we seem to have solved the problem of the screen not displaying properly on my brothers laptop, it wasn't the same problem as the example that mousEtopher gave but clicking "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in War2Combat Properties  seemed to do the trick. As regards forwarding his router, he's concerned about doing that at the moment incase it messes anything else up with his internet. Is it a relatively safe process?

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
Well we seem to have solved the problem of the screen not displaying properly on my brothers laptop, it wasn't the same problem as the example that mousEtopher gave but clicking "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in War2Combat Properties  seemed to do the trick. As regards forwarding his router, he's concerned about doing that at the moment incase it messes anything else up with his internet. Is it a relatively safe process?
Okay good! Yes the port forwarding is safe just don't play with anything. You can also login to the router and see if it has a UPNP option if so make sure it enabled. Then the war2 loader will port forward for you if it's capable of it. If not do it manually very easy to do.

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
Is it possible to play War2Combat windowed?

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »
squeak!

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
I followed that link and opened that war2windowed folder or what ever it's called, the one with the ddraw.dll files in but I couldn't find a ddraw.dll file already in the War2Combat folder. I dragged both the ddraw files from the war2windowed folder into my War2Combat folder anyway and it seems to have worked, the game is windowed but at some point I got a warning saying that one or more of these files can potentially harm your computer and the windowed screen is very small and I can't select the edges of it to enlarge or shrink it, is there a way of changing the size of it?

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Can you take a screenshot for me? Sounds like a false positive from a virus scanner. They should have an option to analyse the file to determine it actions. It should then come back clean.

Yes the bnet interface is broken outside the box. So moving the screen to the top left will help with that issue. Won't be perfect just alot better. Also that's okay if there wasn't a .dll in there maybe you have an older system?? Or you never applied a color fix.

The window is not resize able, and sometimes hard to scoll with mouse. I would not use this for any game you want to take serious. I will take a look for the code and maybe we can change some code around to get what we need.

Offline Johno

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
Can you take a screenshot for me? Sounds like a false positive from a virus scanner. They should have an option to analyse the file to determine it actions. It should then come back clean.

I don't know how to paste a screenshot into this forum, it was a message that flashed up as a windows security warning when I tried to drag the W2WINMODE folder to my desktop.

By the way I have found a way round the small windowed screen problem that might be useful for other people who want to play it windowed. This is how I do it in windows 8.1 anyway, and I suspect you can do it the same if not a similar way on other windows versions.

right click the desktop and go to "personalise" and under the display settings you can go to "Calibrate Colour" to change the size of items displayed in windows, the default setting is 100% and it's marked default so it's easy enough to remember how to change the setting back once you've finished playing. Anyway you want to click the box that says "let me choose one scaling level for all my displays", you will then get the option "custom sizing options". When you select that you get a scale bar and a drop down menu allowing you to choose a more specific size, here you can experiment by adjusting the size and applying it until you find that war2 displays as a good size in the windowed mode. When you have discovered the size you need then you don't have to mess about experimenting every time, when you click "apply" you might get a prompt to sign out of windows and then sign back in again. WHAT EVER YOU DO don't go too big because you may not be able to get back again! So start at the smaller numbers. I have found that the ideal size for my laptop screen is 150% I guess it may vary depending on what size screen you have, I'm afraid I don't know what size screen mine is! But it seems like a common/standard size.

Once you've done this you can move the war2 windowed box to the centre of the screen, now the taskbar might be covering it at the bottom but that's not an issue because you can just right click on an empty part of the taskbar and select "properties" and under the "taskbar" tab there is a drop down box for "taskbar location on screen" and you just move it to the right of the screen or to the left if your desktop items are positioned on the right, then nothing is covering the war2 windowed box and you're ready to go:). Once you've finished playing the game it's easy just to change these settings back to normal again.

I just thought I should share that with you because playing in window mode is useful for numerous reasons. Maybe this should be a bulletin.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 05:14:46 PM »
Why would you go through all that trouble instead of ALT tabbing out? When you change to size of windows to almost full screen doesn't it defeat the purpose? Plus mouse scrolling would be an issue still because it does not lock the mouse into the game window.

Plus this would mess up your battle.net interface also.
And resizing and resizing when done. If you where using this for serious matches and not development I would be clueless :)