Author Topic: Official War2 Advertising Idea Thread  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Warchief Lightbringer-

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Official War2 Advertising Idea Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 08:22:50 AM »
Damn I got my blizzard entertainment decal to put on my car since like 1 month ago. I've yet to find the time to stick it on!
aka DeaDLyGaMeS

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »
Damn I got my blizzard entertainment decal to put on my car since like 1 month ago. I've yet to find the time to stick it on!

Lazy as an Admin, lazy in real life, no surprise there [emoji23]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Warchief Lightbringer-

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »
Using tapatalk and saw this losers reply. I talked about having the time retard not being lazy...

Sent from my I1-T using Tapatalk

aka DeaDLyGaMeS

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
Create a version that is easily downloaded from a repository that runs well on Linux optimized for Raspberry Pi 3 and you should be able to open the game up to a shit load of players.

Also, if the business card idea still stands I'd be happy to distribute some. I'm in a college town with lots of independent games / comic stores / other fantasy shit, so should have decent luck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:12:34 PM by WyZe »

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
I think we should all go in on a big bill board like the ones you see driving on the highway.
war2 > war3

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 09:35:33 PM »
I used a Google analytics platform to see what type of monthly search volumes google is getting for Warcraft 2 related inquiries.

On average 210 people search google each month for "Tides of darkness"

"warcraft 2 online" gets an additional 320 google searches.

heres some more:

590 for "warcraft 2 tides of darkness"
390 for "warcraft 2 game"
140 for "warcraft tides of darkness"
480 for "play warcraft 2"
1,000 for "free rts game"
140 for "warcraft 2 units"
210 "play warcraft 2 online"
22,000 for "warcraft 2"

Imagine if server.war2.ru was the first, second, or third website all of these people saw when they searched these terms. Imagine how many of them would then click the link to our site, and then how many might download and try the game.

This is only a small list of the potential popular or high quality searches people are doing each month for warcraft 2 or rts games in general. If you guys have any other terms you think potential new players might be searching, just let me know what it is and I'll search it for you and get you the numbers back. If you advertise on google or you are a potential google client, you can also do the searches yourself through Google Keywords Planner in your Adwords account.

Anyway, as you can see, there's a decent amount of traffic -  specifically, thousands of people searching for Warcraft 2 every month on google.

How do you capture this traffic?

If you are willing to pay, you can run pay per click ads on google (aka adwords), or pay someone to do search engine optimization.

If you would rather get this traffic to your website (server.war2.ru) for free, learn best SEO practices and then put in the time, or find someone in the war2 community who already knows it and is willing to put in the time.

If done right, it would be highly likely that you steadily get lots of new players every month through SEO.

The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »
You need to do SEO - specifically things like creating backlinks for site authority, and site optimization to make google happy). Either do it yourself for free, or hire it out for $500-800 per month. If you want to learn SEO, I can help you with the fundamentals and then point you in the right direction to take it to the next level.

Also, Adding a live chatbox program to the bottom right of the site will probably do wonders. If someone is available to talk to people, you'll get more downloads / new players this way. Also, if you aren't available to talk when they're on your site, they'll still potentially give you their emails.

You also need an opt-in form right at the top of the home page to get emails / phone numbers. Why? You're missing out on a lot of new players due to the "longish" process of downloading, installing, and figuring out how to log on and create a new name probably. Your website's current opt-in method seems to be only one option - "download the game". You need two options 1) Download the game. 2) Get in contact with us via email or phone.

You need a "contact us" page where they can email / call on the website. For a phone number, use a Google Voice phone number and forward it to your phone.

Also, if you haven't done it already - you need to edit the warcraft 2 wikipedia page to somehow mention the .ru site and link to it. Wikipedia's warcraft 2 page is getting large traffic.

if you're still serious about increasing war2 traffic mousey, lets talk sometime on discord.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
Also, it's important to note, that every single one of these terms mentioned is considered "low competition" according to google. That means most of this stuff would be easy to rank.

Understanding that there's no real money in Warcraft 2 means that nobody is going to fight for the google traffic - so getting to #1, #2, or #3 on google for the largest volume / highest quality search terms for Warcraft 2 should be relatively easy for us.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »
The site actually use to be ranked in the top 3 for most of those searches. Would be cool if you help get it back there.

Also the 22,000 for Warcraft 2 search is probably a lot of people looking for the sequel to the Warcraft movie. It has invaded our searches I notice it a ton on twitter when I am scouting for players.

Offline Fredrik Eriksson

• Grunt
  • Grosshandlaren i Enköping
    • View Profile
    • Grosshandlaren
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 01:49:44 AM »
Did an SEO analysis for the main page few years ago and found out there shouldnt be that hard to take the most important positions. Today there is a bit harder cause the movie.

Start with the basic On-page SEO (no investemtent, just time) should give a really good result, back links arent that easy thoose days like it was before and cause W2 is free there wont be any ROI (except more players).

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
The site actually use to be ranked in the top 3 for most of those searches. Would be cool if you help get it back there.

Also the 22,000 for Warcraft 2 search is probably a lot of people looking for the sequel to the Warcraft movie. It has invaded our searches I notice it a ton on twitter when I am scouting for players.

Awesome! Anyway, It should be pretty easy to get to #1 within 3-6+ months, for these terms and others. Ya just have to find war2s or other person(s) willing to put in the work. The good news is, out of a handful of top SEO practices, backlinks is one of the most effective ones and with that method you don't have to give site access to the people who do it, so you could actually have any and all war2 community members do backlinks. You would just want to be tactful about it, and not overdo it as google is always looking for spammy/artificial methods. 

Also, #1 gets about 2.5-3x as much traffic as #3 (just rough numbers off the top of my head, idk the exact statistics). So #1 should absolutely be the goal. The second part  that comes along with SEO, which matters greatly, is the website needs to be opt-in friendly -aka designed in a way that gets as many emails/downloads as possible. Right now it's a good site, but there's a whole host of reasons that might lead people to visit it and not actually submit an email nor ever complete the download and log on. No good having great SEO, if your site doesn't convert well.

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:51 AM »
Swift is on something here...

And doing a linux distribution will also help too.