Author Topic: Sell the server?  (Read 13731 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: Sell the server?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »
Well, I think hosting and color issues aren't quite that bad now... I don't play on Win7/10 and don't know if the fixes are perfected or included in the patches but I know there was a long thread where someone was releasing numerous different color/display fixing patches.  I know that iL has included UPnP in the latest Combat releases.

The color issue is pretty off-putting for Win7+ users, which I think is most. The fix is mostly ready but iL never put out a version of combat that includes it, so it's still manual to add it to all new installations. I don't know if the UPnP has done more good or bad tbh -- helping people forward ports is still hands down the most common issue, and I suspect Upnp causes that problem where 6112 is forwarded and then it starts saying you need to forward 1024 also.

For constructive feedback that might be easy, here's an idea, what if there was a new player's guide?  Like when you install combat, something pops up, short and to the point, that gives new users a little direction?

That's actually a nice idea. I find it helps to have the info in as many places as possible, no matter how obvious/comprehensive you make the website + server welcome message + bot greet message + //noob command + what have you, there's always people who somehow overlook it all.

(War2 for short, not wc2)

Wrong. (pretty brilliant post otherwise!)

I will say that it seems in the past 6 months or so since I came back there have been more new users signing on than there's been in a long time, and a few of them have stuck around and become competitive enough.  Im pretty sure Talrand, for example, said he just came like 4 months ago or so.  And I posted before about how often I see users I've never heard of hosting private games with newbie settings like Fast speed, probably playing their friends. 

True, Talrand is new, also Josh and Igognito too. Based on the support requests we've been seeing a lot of people seem to also come to play with their friends/family on the same network (which usually results in unplayable conflict unfortunately).

There was a reddit thread one time that brought in a huge stream of views (not sure how many translated to downloads) before it got deleted or something.

Tons of downloads, but almost all of them were for single player only. That's still the case - something like 80% of the downloads from the site indicate they want it for SP, while only like 1/3 are interested in MP.

This is rhetorical right? It was a top 10 player not a rando. Admins have told me it's hard to police without proof. When I told two separate admins I have proof via video they go mysteriously quiet. The job of an admin is to deal with things not practice avoidance.

I can't speak for others, but when you asked me I didn't mean to imply "It's hard to police trolling/bad behavior, but if you have evidence then we can do something about it", but instead "It's hard to police trolling/bad behavior, so we choose not to for that reason." I consider consistency critical in enforcing any kind of rule and it's just not possible with something that ubiquitous.

(As far as Nedro's issues, I get that that stuff is annoying but I really don't think the other players want server level punishment for anything other than hacking)

^ agree. I think this was reflected when we had that Hammurabi's rule poll going on, and also in the latest version of the server rules that've been in effect for the past year.
squeak!

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:08 PM »
they are just LOSER who totally got nothing IN THERE LIFEE... BUT TOTALLY NOTHING

But you're crying and getting angry and writing essays when they have something in there life. Seems totally opposite lol

Example: Blid talking about basketball with his friends pisses you the hell off because how dare he not pay you any attention! How dare he!

Offline dellam

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »
All talk , nobody will fix the server, everyone comes in here with their  ideas but nobody actually does anything at all. I've been there and tried it three times before and have since given up

Sent from my iPhone using Warcraft Chat 2.12

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 06:54:55 AM »
well man theres just so many games nowadays. :(