Author Topic: Convert wargus stuff to Warcraft 2?  (Read 21165 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Convert wargus stuff to Warcraft 2?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
As has been mentioned, Wargus is a completely different program to WC2. It's a ground up re-write ....  fan-fiction, if you will. Its pretty cool, but there is no more chance of anything from Wargus applying to WC2 than stuff from Mario Kart.

Sure, if you put the time into it you could convert some of the graphics to .grp and import them into the game, (and lets face it, that would be freakin AWESOME :P) but sadly its not going to give you a boost button or make them jump off a ramp into you opponents base.

As for using 16 players - or at least having units assigned to 16 different players i.e. for rescue and gaining multiple races for each player. This seems to stem from .PUD format allowing for up to 16 players in some sections.

I'd hate to spoil the party, but here's a small bit of info for you.

Player 16 = Dead.
That's where the pixels go when they are punched to death by ogre-magi.

Player 15 is also used for internal purposes. Players 9-14 .... maybe but I doubt they're ever going to function properly, all the player controlling stuff is written for players 1-8.

Pretty much everything apart from the map is a unit, spell effects etc. are units with short lives, but the game engine isn't designed to let you select them or move them etc.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline salvadorc17

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
Yes, no problem, thanks for the clarification about player 15 and 16..

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
No worries.

Here's some grps I pulled from process memory, if anybody wants.

(attached 7-zip)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
this is kind of interesting...

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2016, 05:15:35 PM »
looks like maybe from the alpha version.

As has been mentioned, Wargus is a completely different program to WC2. It's a ground up re-write ....  fan-fiction, if you will. Its pretty cool, but there is no more chance of anything from Wargus applying to WC2 than stuff from Mario Kart.

yeah u'd just want it for a rts engine..with added perks... built in bnet  ;D,ipx etc.

speed i still havent found it.

but attacks can be changed and range.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:30:18 PM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:44 AM »

Maybe, but it's still resident in the process for BNE v2.02, although not used.

yeah u'd just want it for a rts engine..with added perks... built in bnet  ;D,ipx etc.

Yeah, the stratagus guys did some cool stuff, but AFAIK it's still all incompatible with WC2, i.e. you cant play unless all players are using wagus?

Attacks and range are in the the PUD format, speed is not (attack speed or movement speed).

Also certianly there is no guaranteed attack speed for units. Melee units tend to just hit anything in range, but cats and drags etc. do not necessarily do this. Telling a cat to attack something in range doesn't guarantee it will do it asap. Also peons/peasants move slower when they are carrying.

This sort of thing tends to suggest that the timing of such things is built into the AI, there must still be a bunch of numbers somewhere that at the very least describes a minimum time interval for units taking their next action, but it may or may not be a list for each unit type, as with most unit attributes.

The pathing code advance calculates the next 20 steps for all moving units, then adjusts if that path is blocked, but it does this independantly of the unit's speed, the timing is being dictated somewhere in the core of the engine.

It's facinating stuff, I wish I had more time to look at it right now.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
its set in the engine , yeah not easy saying find speed 17and changing...even haste on the units doesnt change the speed in the menu.

yeah wargus is only compat with wargus
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:46:00 AM by easycompany »

Offline Erenussocrates

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
@tupac,

Hey man, I think war2combat is amazing, but if only it had the better control schemes and better resolution options like wargus did, then it would have been so much better. Wargus has better control scheme, but it's missing online playability. War2combat has online playability and ladders, but it's control scheme is the same with original. Doesn't it make sense to take the best of each game (wargus' control schemes and resolution options, and war2combat's server) and combine them into an even better one? I mean, this definitely would have been so much better, I think. Isn't it worth to think over this, or isn't it achievable?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

Maybe, but it's still resident in the process for BNE v2.02, although not used.

Yeah, the stratagus guys did some cool stuff, but AFAIK it's still all incompatible with WC2, i.e. you cant play unless all players are using wagus?

Attacks and range are in the the PUD format, speed is not (attack speed or movement speed).

Also certianly there is no guaranteed attack speed for units. Melee units tend to just hit anything in range, but cats and drags etc. do not necessarily do this. Telling a cat to attack something in range doesn't guarantee it will do it asap. Also peons/peasants move slower when they are carrying.

This sort of thing tends to suggest that the timing of such things is built into the AI, there must still be a bunch of numbers somewhere that at the very least describes a minimum time interval for units taking their next action, but it may or may not be a list for each unit type, as with most unit attributes.

The pathing code advance calculates the next 20 steps for all moving units, then adjusts if that path is blocked, but it does this independantly of the unit's speed, the timing is being dictated somewhere in the core of the engine.

It's facinating stuff, I wish I had more time to look at it right now.

i have found the attack speed of the towers..possibly units just havent went back to check as im still just exploring.

Offline salvadorc17

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

Considering that wargus is open source we do have an alternative to make it compatible with war 2 combat server, there is the code, jsut need some good programmer..

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
be alot of work salv...i got one version that has pretty good multiplayer ipx,they are many versions..all i see for wargus is "making it feel like war2", turning off the green lines and auto que.