Author Topic: [done] Warcraft 2 resolution  (Read 19971 times)

Offline Muz

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
[done] Warcraft 2 resolution
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
Hello, the monitor screen resolution for this game was originally 640 x 480. Monitor is 1280 x 800, if it plays in 1280, the screen looks distorted, does anyone else who uses LCD monitor widescreen has the same problem as mine?

The fixed aspect ratio might work, but I was wondering if anyone else who has the same problem as mine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:25:50 AM by mousEtopher »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft 2 resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »
Yes. I adjusted screen resolution and now I have black bars  on the side of my screen.. but the game is not stretched now.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
Yeah it's normal & just personal preference. I've always preferred to play it stretched so the game fills the entire screen, but some people prefer to maintain the aspect ratio and keep it centered in the screen with black bars on either side. You can change the settings in your graphic properties, here's a guide: http://en.war2.ru/support/black-bars-around-the-screen-aspect-ratio-issue-warcraft-2/ (in your case just select "maintain aspect ratio" or similar instead of "scale full screen")
squeak!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »
Should a left it imo.. nobody really checks this section of forums. If they did they would have already seen the answer

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
theres a redirect link

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
^
squeak!

Offline Hoojchoons

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:48:29 AM »
I have a similar issue. I'm running WC2 on VM Fusion Windows 8 on a Mac. No matter what resolution I set the screen to I always get WC2 in a small window. When I maximize that window the resolution stays very small, so everything is huge on screen. I can only see a few buildings at time and am scrolling constantly just to see the other side of my base....totally not playable competitively this way.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Offline Beauenheim

• Critter
  • I love me a good Grand Mac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »
Just grabbed War2Combat and I wanted to set up everything as best as I could get it. The resolution for this is awful. Simple to fix though. Grab this file here: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,897.0.html
Backup your ddraw.dll before replacing with these 2 files. Put them in the installation folder. Then open the .ini, change your resolution as preferred, then enable the mhack to lock the cursor to the windows and you're good! My Warcraft 2 crashes when I close it but a small price to pay for this greatness.

I'm running this on Windows 10x64 on an i7 with a GTX 970 and it's great. I even managed to grab the install.exe from the disk I had laying around. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:24:35 AM by mousEtopher »
More work?

Offline Hoojchoons

• Peon
    • View Profile
Re: [done] Warcraft 2 resolution
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
I was able to adjust the resolution and play in the windowed mode, but I can't get the mouse hack to work properly. My mouse always goes out of the WC2 window when scrolling on the screen. When I turn on the mack in the DLL the mouse is just stuck to the edge of the screen. Any idea why or another easy fix to keep the mouse pinned to that screen?

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
I have a similar issue. I'm running WC2 on VM Fusion Windows 8 on a Mac. No matter what resolution I set the screen to I always get WC2 in a small window. When I maximize that window the resolution stays very small, so everything is huge on screen. I can only see a few buildings at time and am scrolling constantly just to see the other side of my base....totally not playable competitively this way.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hi Hooj, you could try to play war2 using wine. There is a guide for linux which should give you enough information for you to try it out.

Cheers

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
is he describing a glitch of some sort or just unused to playing 640x480?
squeak!

Offline Hoojchoons

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
Hi Igonito and Moustepher,

I haven't tried getting this to work in a few months. Simply gave up and settled on watching the War2 replays on youtube. Yes, I'm not used to playing in 640 x 480. I haven't played much since the early 2000s, but I thought you were able to play in better resolution that 640 x 480? Am I wrong? If so I'll give it another try and see how it is playing at that resolution.

Just a bit janky using VM Fusion which gives me little access to display settings outside of the default windows options.

Thanks for your guys help!