Author Topic: Port Forwarding In DD-WRT?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
Port Forwarding In DD-WRT?
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
hi, anybody been able to figure out how to PF in DD-WRT routers? i've bridged my gateway for network-wide VPN and flashed DD-WRT on my router but for some reason the forwarding rules are still not letting me host. anybody out there have any solutions?

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Port Forwarding In DD-WRT?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:16 AM »
Which port forwarding instructions are you following specifically? I've seen multiple methods that work, some trial and error might be in order. The server even has a bot that msgs me "nobody can Join u cuz this port is closed" Which is helpful for newbs but actual nonsense cuz I can host all the time

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
hi, anybody been able to figure out how to PF in DD-WRT routers? i've bridged my gateway for network-wide VPN and flashed DD-WRT on my router but for some reason the forwarding rules are still not letting me host. anybody out there have any solutions?
Yes you need a VPN that has no NAT. You should contact the VPN provider to see if they provide it. I've been waiting for a war2 user to ask about dd-wrt! ;)

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
Which port forwarding instructions are you following specifically? I've seen multiple methods that work, some trial and error might be in order. The server even has a bot that msgs me "nobody can Join u cuz this port is closed" Which is helpful for newbs but actual nonsense cuz I can host all the time

yeah i sometimes got the "your 1024 port closed, no1 can join" msg even when i could host. i've fwd'd all ports/protocols as i usually do, 6112-9/4000/1024 + firewall exceptions. still can't host.

the mind boggles

Yes you need a VPN that has no NAT. You should contact the VPN provider to see if they provide it. I've been waiting for a war2 user to ask about dd-wrt! ;)

excuse my ignorance, but isn't NAT kinda important. obviously i disabled NAT on the primary router to bridge it but DD-WRT needs NAT setup

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »

yeah i sometimes got the "your 1024 port closed, no1 can join" msg even when i could host. i've fwd'd all ports/protocols as i usually do, 6112-9/4000/1024 + firewall exceptions. still can't host.

the mind boggles

excuse my ignorance, but isn't NAT kinda important. obviously i disabled NAT on the primary router to bridge it but DD-WRT needs NAT setup
Of course NAT is important or everything will be open. You should have a access panel for opening ports with your VPN if they have the option. You could have no NAT in the VPN side but on your router you can just open ports 6112, etc.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
I was running DD-WRT on one of my other routers a year or so ago. From memory it took a while to find the right config page to get it set up to host. Having access to such comprehensive configuration means page after page of settings. Can't remember off the top of my head exacly where it was, but I remember it being about 3 pages deep under what seemed like an unlikely heading. If you're still having trouble I'll plug in my DD-WRT router over the weekend and tell you what worked for me.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
would really appreciate that! cheers mate

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:37:19 PM »
Lamby is so cool
squeak!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
OK so I fired up the router (it's a NETGEAR WNDR4500) and discovered I had reflashed the stock firmware before mothballing it, so I put DD-WRT back on it, probably better to start from a clean install anyway. Its build 26138 – about 18 months old.

After the standard setup stuff – gateway address, DHCP, DNS etc. I just plugged in the port (6112) and the local IP of my gaming machine (for the purposes of this exercise I called it 192.168.3.33) and I was able to host without issue. But... I'm not using a VPN so that may be a causing problems.

OK So…. Port forwarding:

It's in the NAT section. This is not actually network address translation, but from a coding perspective its right there in the part thats deciding where to send packets based on transport layer info (which is a big part of what NAT does), so it makes sense that it would be grouped there on the config page. The important thing is that 'port from' and 'port to' are both the same so nothing is being translated, its just sending everything stamped with a '6112' to LAN address 192.168.3.33. In fact this should safeguard the passage of port 6112 traffic through any NAT that the router is a party to, although it won't help you if somebody upstream is switching ports on you.

Some protocols can safely pass through NAT, or actually they would be totally destroyed by NAT so they are given a pass. Things like IPsec, so if you have an option to use one of these, it might help.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
Port Forwarding In DD-WRT?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 03:13:51 AM »
OK so I fired up the router (it's a NETGEAR WNDR4500) and discovered I had reflashed the stock firmware before mothballing it, so I put DD-WRT back on it, probably better to start from a clean install anyway. Its build 26138 – about 18 months old.

After the standard setup stuff – gateway address, DHCP, DNS etc. I just plugged in the port (6112) and the local IP of my gaming machine (for the purposes of this exercise I called it 192.168.3.33) and I was able to host without issue. But... I'm not using a VPN so that may be a causing problems.

OK So…. Port forwarding:

It's in the NAT section. This is not actually network address translation, but from a coding perspective its right there in the part thats deciding where to send packets based on transport layer info (which is a big part of what NAT does), so it makes sense that it would be grouped there on the config page. The important thing is that 'port from' and 'port to' are both the same so nothing is being translated, its just sending everything stamped with a '6112' to LAN address 192.168.3.33. In fact this should safeguard the passage of port 6112 traffic through any NAT that the router is a party to, although it won't help you if somebody upstream is switching ports on you.

Some protocols can safely pass through NAT, or actually they would be totally destroyed by NAT so they are given a pass. Things like IPsec, so if you have an option to use one of these, it might help.

That level of detail gave me a serious nerd boner [emoji14][emoji106][emoji106]

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

OK So…. Port forwarding:

you, sir, are an actual gentleman. thank you very much bro. not actually putting in a range might do the trick, will get stuck into this when i sober up in the mornin. thanks again

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:07:44 PM »
you, sir, are an actual gentleman. thank you very much bro. not actually putting in a range might do the trick, will get stuck into this when i sober up in the mornin. thanks again

YW, glad I could help  :)

Yeah, there's no reason to forward anything apart from UDP on your game port. In most cases forwarding others probably won't hurt, but its unnecessary and could possibly confuse things a bit, especially if you're trying to run more than one client from the same LAN.

Remember you can already join/chat/message etc. without forwarding anything at all. The only thing that isn't getting through is the initial "hi, can I join your game?" message from other players.

When you host, part of the info in the game list is your game port, so people trying to join send UDP packets over that port to your public IP address. The whole deal with port forwarding to host WC2 games is just telling your router to send you those packets.

UDP:YourPort   -->   your computer's LAN address

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
I'm sure he is still going to have hosting issues if you dont consider the lantcy bug. He is using a vpn and is more configuration on their end if they put him on a NAT like most do.