Author Topic: Training Maps  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Training Maps
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
Just curious if this is something that could be done.

Chop- I guess anyone can do this, in a sense, but I would encourage chop players to do so but it would be nice if there was a way to watch chop, so people can learn. I know that is difficult to do besides the obvious, have players start in like a spot in the very corner (maybe with 1 farm for insurance). But then you have the issue of initial starting positions (can no longer be random). It would just be nice to be able to watch/learn for even myself or new people because unlike GOW, that can't really effectively be done I believe.

Timeouts- For training purposes, it would be nice to have a MAP with more timeouts, either unlimited or like 10-15 of them. This way, while we are playing, I can timeout and speak to the person, as opposed to them having to read it on the fly as they are scrambling to keep up with their own base. Naturally, this would specifically be for some sort of training map. Say only 1v1 or 2v1 is allowed for the map (so ppl like PB dont host it and drive everyone crazy).

Just a couple of ideas I wanted to throw out there in case anything can be done to help the new players of the community.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Training Maps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »
U have to be OCD to be good at chop. Literally once you get good at baby sitting peons and immediately putting them in good chop positions, the rest is easy for a gow player to learn.

It takes a different mind set to manage the wood peons so meticulously .. that was my biggest barrier.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
there are many replays on youtube how to play chops
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Droid

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 02:28:17 PM »
These g3mini's lessons are the best for now.
Choose 1-2 strats, try it 2-3 times in a single player and go practice it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/war2innuendo/videos

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:34 PM »
BBBBIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG difference between playing and watching. I've had someone teach me before. This isn't exactly for me. People can watch U8 play GOW all day but if they've never played and you put them in a game, they won't make it past the 3rd building without messing up.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
Best idea just join the game and play, ofc you will be bad at start, someplayers are pkaying on chop and they are still bad after 20 years
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Droid

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 02:38:07 PM »
Well if you're noob in GOW/Chop watching u8 games won't help you ofc.
BUT if you watched some tutorials (like g3mini's) and tried those strats, got decent, then watching some real games will help u much better.
You'll see more tricks & best practices.

That's why u8 himself often watches TK & Equinox streams. Learning from the best!

(About training maps, there are Chop1v1.pud where u can try any strat u want with a real opponent).
In CHOP FARMS u only need ONE strat (nevermind air, u can always play no air).
For example its BACKHALL, or TOWERS/AGRESSIVE (2 strats, depending on your enemy's hall).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:43:49 PM by Droid »