Author Topic: How to defend and break a 9/11 dual  (Read 9086 times)

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
How to defend and break a 9/11 dual
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
How do you usually go about breaking a 9/11 dual? Do you usually kill 11 and try to drag it out to late game. Or do you usually try and kill 9 and end it right there.

Also how do you defend your 9/11 dual when you are being attacked?
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Re: How to defend and break a 9/11 dual
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
I struggle mighty defending a 9/11 dual which is why I rarely ever do them unless I am playing someone I know I am better than.

As far as breaking the 9/11 dual I usually try to kill 11 since its and easier kill. Usually I use 2 cats with 6-8 lvl 4 grunts and 3 guard towers.
After that I start counter dueling and then proceed from there.

war2 > war3

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »
I attack wherever their rax isnt.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
I attack wherever their rax isnt.
lotta people keep a rax inside
war2 > war3

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
all imo:
you should target 9 assuming it has the barracks, otherwise you can kill a base and still will probably lose.  if youre killing one of the bases, you shouldnt counter dual, you should proceed on to fort to finish the opponent off.  you dont need to hit lvl 4 if youre catting and towering.  the meta these days often has the opponent sneaking grunts out of their base to combat your cats so theres lots of micro involved in picking off the grunts, protecting the cats, and walling/canceling on/off any entry to 9

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »
all imo:
you should target 9 assuming it has the barracks, otherwise you can kill a base and still will probably lose.  if youre killing one of the bases, you shouldnt counter dual, you should proceed on to fort to finish the opponent off.  you dont need to hit lvl 4 if youre catting and towering.  the meta these days often has the opponent sneaking grunts out of their base to combat your cats so theres lots of micro involved in picking off the grunts, protecting the cats, and walling/canceling on/off any entry to 9

When would you make your second hall at fort?
war2 > war3

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »
lotta people keep a rax inside

...what?  dont know of many builds where a barracks isnt part of the wall-in.  yeah obviously they could have a second rax in the other base but at that point they've built two raxes and even then they wouldn't have two cats at their second rax by the time i arrived. 

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
it depends on what spot you are vs the 9/11 dual. attack whichever base you can get your cats to quicker. It really just comes down to how well you manage your resources, and your micro with grunts. Conserving your grunts so they can kill what's trying to kill your cat, is what wins it.
having levels on your opponents grunt's is vital. I always go cats level 2 so there is no guess work in destroying towers, or if your micro is bad.

As far as defending with a 9/11 dual, 3 raxes to kill even 1 cat will basically win you the game.

Defending a 9/11 is the easiest thing in the war2 world. at least for me. I get nervous when i scout a 9/11. But I break it almost every time. But against top players like startale, and u8t it's very intimidating to scout the safest dual on the map. When you're playing versus someone better or equal in skill, it all comes down to micro.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:51:59 PM by Yamon »

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
it depends on what spot you are vs the 9/11 dual. attack whichever base you can get your cats to quicker. It really just comes down to how well you manage your resources, and your micro with grunts. Conserving your grunts so they can kill what's trying to kill your cat, is what wins it.
would you say its better to counter dual from 4?
war2 > war3

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »
would you say its better to counter dual from 4?
no because 4/5 is super easy to dk. And when you counter dual even if you're 100% efficient at it vs a good player you will still be behind. When i'm 4 i chop out and try to cat. I bring 2 peons to their base, build a cat at home, rep a rax outside their base, put up 2 towers, and a 2nd rax. That way you can continuously pump *level 2* cats, and grunts, and tower them. If you break in one base, you win the game basically. If you break in their base, and still lose, you need to improve on your APM and res management, with multi-tasking.

As far as the strategy " counter-dual " goes, doing the same thing as they are, AFTER they do it, is insanity. It's all about being one step ahead, not a step behind.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:04:03 PM by Yamon »

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
But swift always abused the shit out of the 9/11 dual in 1v1 series. If i can get him to confirm that it's the best strategy in the game, that would be great.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »
Tell me know how would you defend you 9/11 dual.

I think that's harder than breaking it.
war2 > war3

Offline Yamon

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »

3 raxes inside 9, build tons of level 1 grunts, go find their cat. When they get another one, get it again. By their third cat you will have equal or greater levels on them and can just overpower them with grunts. Once that exchange is over with you will have resources coming out of your ears.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

3 raxes inside 9, build tons of level 1 grunts, go find their cat. When they get another one, get it again. By their third cat you will have equal or greater levels on them and can just overpower them with grunts. Once that exchange is over with you will have resources coming out of your ears.
Not a bad idea actually
war2 > war3

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
after growing up on bne/f killing duals on ef is too ez.