Author Topic: PLZ fix the hosting issue.... :/  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
Re: PLZ fix the hosting issue.... :/
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
You just need to create a VPN to put everyone into a LAN with the pvpgn server change your game data port done!!! Hosting fixed! People not inside the Lan will not be able to join games with people who are...
Yes, that is how russian VPN worked years ago. That will cause lages when clients locations are different.
But we can use VPN with several external addresses: each address for each client. That will allow connections between clients inside VPN subnet and outside ones.
But that will require money for each external ip address for VPN.

I thought the lag will be the same regardless. If so I'm sure we can purchase a few ips incase that is an issue. I would also assume if they have lag issues the lag will be persistent with or without VPN. If we can say this will solve 100% of hosting issues and 5% lag. I think it's a good change.

We should not need different IP address because we are in the same LAN they would just need different ports. In which the newest combat edition changes it automatically.

I think making more than 2-3 clients on different ports of 1 ip is not a good idea. Of course we can try, but i thought about 5-10 ips for porblem clients. The question is how to manage them. We have to give that vpn access manually for several known clients with problems.

And we made tests years ago: sometimes VPN between 2 clients increases lags, sometimes it resolves the lag problem. I think the goal is different routing between VPN and direct connections inside global network...
What VPN can definitely resolve, is ip conflict.

I'd try it and see how far we can run with it. We can solve hosting & conflicts in one shot.

Somewhere buried in ur pms is the vpn user name and password, plus my server ip war2usa.com. it's all setup and ready to be tested and used. It's been ready for months now Ive been afk for awhile now. Change game data port if you use combat then no need.

Connect to VPN
Add server
Try to host and ask someone to test with you.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
I remember connecting to the Russian VPN server before and i lagged stuff because i was in america, but on the regular server I didn't lag

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
Hi all,

I want to say that iL indeed does he job right also for this issue:
Further than the extensive guide for opening ports he also offered to connect through remote desktop in order to setup Ripe's router.

@TK, iL didn't say to Ripe fix it your self. He provided the know how and even provided to give assistance.

The hosting can be a problem, I think offering an Optional VPN service might be the solution.
People can first try using the guide or one could use a VPN that is autoset.
Of course providing a VPN service might be a huge complication.

This is not the type of project that interests me, but if I find sometime I will have a look at the PvPGN code to see if the game hosting/joining is implemented there.
If so, we could try to make an auto LAT trick for all failing connections.

That might be simpler than the making a firewall hole.

Another suggestion, would be to make a tool that auto configures common routers!
Provide it as a router patch!

Obviously, nothing will work 100% but we can improve the current state.

Cheers

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
Most modern routers are already handled fine with the UPNP. I think people only have a problem if they have an old router or they don't have a real IP.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
How about start a kickstarter for paying to fix the hosting issue tk? Ripe says he will pay money, other people interested in war2 and the server might as well. Once funds are in hand then it will make sense and there will be much more incentive to proceed with the next steps. (Maybe we could even tap lamby to do it, he seems geniusy enough!) It's easy and lazy to say "do xyz and everything will be roses, shame on you" which doesn't at all appreciate the amount of work involved in actually doing so.

excatly. i dont have the skills or any technical knowledge. so i offer money. hundreds of ppl in this community. if every1 puts up some bucks it should be easy? ...

Ripe go to https://portforward.com and buy their software. These guys will fix your latency problem for a fee.
war2 > war3

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
Tora .. you realize you just said if ripe buys something, then they will fix it for free .. right?

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
How is anything easier than making a firewall hole?  If what lambchops said is correct, then firewall hole punching (aka UDP hole punching) is obviously the easiest (and cheapest long term) method to fix this issue.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
@tk I understand what you have said about the hosting issue.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy solution to fixing the problem. We have tutorials and staff support to help users. When that doesn't work the only viable option at the moment is to seek 3rd party help.
war2 > war3

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
1) Go here:   https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=pvpgn+for+hire

2) Fill the shit out.

3) See if someone can do it and for how much $$$

4) Tell people in forums you need "$xxx.xx" to fix hosting

5) Collect money because you're too fucking broke to maintain the server you run, but refuse to sell it to someone who can maintain it.

6) Enjoy everyone saying "OMFG THANKS FOR FIXING IT GUYS!!"

7) Feel like you accomplished something

there u go. now the next fucking time someone says "we cant host omfg"  im going to tell you to eat a fucking dick because our admins knew what they had to do and didnt, and everyone is just pretending they're so great and everything and refust to hold them accountable

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
SO SEEK A FKING 3RD PARTY ?!! LOL

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
At the moment IL is unwilling to share the source code of the server because he wrote it himself I believe. Doing so may potentially make it easier for RU to be hacked.
While I don't disagree with you we should seek 3rd party help to fix the problem. Its not a decision you or I can make.

war2 > war3

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »
iL is holding the damn server hostage .. and nobody gives a fuck.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
This vpn offers port forwarding.