Author Topic: PLZ fix the hosting issue.... :/  (Read 14647 times)

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
  • LAWL! LICK MY RIPESTICKZ0R H0M0 :D
    • View Profile
PLZ fix the hosting issue.... :/
« on: December 16, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
how much u need money admins?? i will pay that u get it working.

ty.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: PLZ fix the hosting issue.... :/
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
It sounds like a relatively easy issue to fix.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
You can use any kind of VPN to host games if your ISP closed ports
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »
No you cant. Not unless the VPN will forward ports.. and none will unless you pay $$$ and even then sometimes they won't forward ports.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:12:43 PM »
You can pay a programmer to implement "firewall hole punching" and then patch the server with it so users don't have to try all kinds of tricky shit just to play war2?

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

tell me how i do it and i will do it. i dont even fking know what is VPN :D

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
"A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that is constructed using public wires — usually the Internet — to connect to a private network, such as a company's internal network. There are a number of systems that enable you to create networks using the Internet as the medium for transporting data."

basically the way a VPN works is ALL of your internet traffic goes through a specific server (VPN) before it goes anywhere else... and all incoming traffic goes through that same server (VPN) before it gets to you. The reason most people use a VPN is for security... Because of the fact that you are going through the VPN server, your computer behaves as if it is actually on the VPN's network.

If you can get the VPN to forward ports 6112-6119, you will be able to host even though your ISP is not forwarding the ports.

The only reason to get a VPN for war2 is if you have tried forwarding ports through your router and it didn't work, and have contacted your ISP and come to the conclusion that they will not forward the ports.

That still means the VPN has to do it .. and like i said earlier, most VPN will not forward ports unless you are paying for the actual VPN (there are lots of FREE vpn's).. and even some VPN's  that you pay for will either 1) not forward ports or 2) only forward 1 port (or a limited amount)

so basically iL is suggesting you spend money so you can host, instead of him pay a programmer to fix the hosting issue... which from what i understand is a relatively easy fix. He just needs take the time to find the guy who can do it and pay for it to be done so we can all stop complaining about not being able to host..

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
iL  ... any time you want to sell the server PLEASE let me know because it is beyond insane that you are suggesting this shit.

you own/run/operate a server and you're asking for other people to take care of shit that you should be taking care of.  If you're not willing to take care of it, you have no business holding the server hostage. Sell it to someone who will take care of these issues for the love of God.

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 05:17:03 AM »
can some1 please give me links/examples/introduction how You have done it with the VPN. im quite newbie  with connections and computers overall. all i do is playing war2/aq2/watch youtube/watch pR0N. ;]

ty

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:36 AM »
Have you tried the guide in the support page of en.war2.ru?
It is pretty extensive!

Cheers

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
If Ripe is too fucking dumb/lazy to take the 5 minutes download a VPN, install it, and click "CONNECT" .. he's probably not going to take the time/be able to understand the en.war2.ru guide.

As dumb and lazy as Ripe clearly is, it's insane that iL believes it should be Ripe's responsibility to do this.

Literally all iL has to do is:

1) contact a programmer
2) tell them to write a script for our PvPGN server that tells players to send a UDP packet to eachother upon server connnection.
3) patch the server with the update
4) pay the programmer
5) come to the forums and tell everyone they can now host games problem free.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
what kind of connection u using?

ps. they are 80 people -/+ watching rit's facebook stream.. :o

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
iL  ... any time you want to sell the server PLEASE let me know because it is beyond insane that you are suggesting this shit.
As i already told to Equinox:
what exactly you want to do after you buy the server?

Let existing admins get out? Do everything yourself? Find other admins who will do things better? Who they will be?

you own/run/operate a server and you're asking for other people to take care of shit that you should be taking care of.  If you're not willing to take care of it, you have no business holding the server hostage. Sell it to someone who will take care of these issues for the love of God.
If you know how to help people - just do it.

how much u need money admins?? i will pay that u get it working.
I don't think that's about money. That's about architecture fo war2 game. You need real ip to host games. If you have, you should config your router properly. Else you can buy and config vpn and use it. Or just change your ISP.

If you have real ip, you can follow hosting instructions on en.war2.ru or give a teamviewer access to one of our admins to help you with your software.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
what do you mean "what exactly you want to do after you buy the server?"  ??   .. i'd try to grow it obviously. I'm not going to put money into something for no reason.

if i were to own the server... some of the admins would stay in .. some would be out.. but it would ultimately be their decision if they wanted to continue being admin or not.

I pretty much explained the concept in another thread:
"But ... i've said it before and i'll say it again.. if blid/iL want to jumpstart some life back into this server .. treat the admin as staff members with duties.

duties include:

advertise at least 10 different places a month (youtube channels, gaming forums, facebook...)
be logged on as admin at least 20 hours a month (blid doesn't even do 1 hour a month)  so users can identify them and ask for assistance if needed
play a minimum of 50 games a month  (encourages admins to engage in community)
stream a minimum of 20 games a month (also advertisement for the server)

pretty basic shit that admins should already be doing imo... if they don't meet expectations, demote them ... if they go above and beyond expectations, give them other perks .. like access to database or forum admin etc.. maybe some sort of recognition ...

if there are no incentives to do more, or consequences for doing nothing ... we're left with an unmotivated do-nothing admin staff.. and that hurts the community.
"

Burnt would be given responsibilities/come level of power again.
Foonat would be demoted unless he decided he wanted to be actively engaged in the community again
Lightbringer's access to database would be removed, but still have the option of being admin if he wanted to perform the duties i described
Blid could stay admin if he wanted to perform the duties
Mouse is already doing BIG things for the server on a regular basis so she would undoubtedly continue to be admin
Others would have the option to work their way up in the .ru staff if they showed the interest.

oh.. and if i owned it i would definitely want to have some sort of communication with you iL and keep you as involved as possible because you have a ton of experience with the server.

the way i would run/operate the server should be no secret. it would be ran like a business. Staff (admins) perform basic duties and assist players.. promotions and recognition are given to staff that meet/exceed expectations. demotions for those who do not meet expectations .. but ultimately the position is always available to anyone and everyone who wants it whenever they want it.

.ru needs all the help it can get, and there are a lot of members willing to help if they're given the chance.

it wouldnt be some hostile situation where i buy it, and start firing everyone and acting like a maniac... and if your honest with yourself there should absolutely no reason to believe i would.. i was admin for 2 years and never gave anyone any reason for concern.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:53:58 PM by tk[as] »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
How about start a kickstarter for paying to fix the hosting issue tk? Ripe says he will pay money, other people interested in war2 and the server might as well. Once funds are in hand then it will make sense and there will be much more incentive to proceed with the next steps. (Maybe we could even tap lamby to do it, he seems geniusy enough!) It's easy and lazy to say "do xyz and everything will be roses, shame on you" which doesn't at all appreciate the amount of work involved in actually doing so.
squeak!