Author Topic: Chatting in Battle.net 2001 ...  (Read 2039 times)

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
Chatting in Battle.net 2001 ...
« on: December 25, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

! No longer available

A young newbie in 2001 starting out on the game.

Soon later sometime in 2002 I tried installing Diablo II after a lot of my old clan mates left the game and made the switch. That computer in the video was saying not enough room, newbie me deleted some files and the computer would never load Warcraft 2 again.

I started playing on a new computer my dad bought when I went to his house every other weekend. Every time I saw more of my friends on the game disappear and noticed the free castles community which use to be the majority of games was being replaced by paintball players.

2004 I started going to my local library and sneaking the war2 install onto their computers by saving the file under a different path. Then my dad later moved back with my mom for a short time, he brought the computer with him. When he left again he left the computer for me. (My dad shortly played as x-DW-x)Raven( he was more into campaign though)

By this time with more access to the computer I was making it a mission to grow the game. I had started recruiting heavily and the USWest server was full of players under DW tag, and DW labeled maps being hosted.

By 2005 I joined the War2Occult forums, and hit my peak on castles where I was playing at a insane level. It was on the Occult where I began researching old threads and learning about some of the history of players and the game. It fascinated me. I switched from Castles to begin learning the built in maps, something I had been very vocal against before. I also switched from hosting castles tournaments, to making these types as well. Then ArchAngel gave me a spot on the IGL when he decided to take a break, where Blid also came on board and we managed it pretty successful to get a nice chunk of players actually being involved.

|League stats: 341 members (127 active in past 3 weeks), 4323 matches played by current members|

Finally in 2006 I contacted Ldir and he got the war2.ru english version up and running with my partner Blid on board as well. Only 5 years after the video of this young boy in the battle.net chat. I grew up with this community and feel like I continue to mature and learn to this day. I have met a lot of great friends on here, and lost a couple too.

Merry Christmas to you all, and here is to a Happy New Year!

Hope to see you all Jan 1st, 3pm est time at the KOTH 2vs2 Tournament.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:15:02 PM by XuRnT »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
Re: Chatting in Battle.net 2001 ...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:42:48 PM »
"2004 I started going to my local library and sneaking the war2 install onto their computers by saving the file under a different path."

lol nice man  ;D merry christmas!

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:51:06 PM »
You've easily done the most for the War2 community out of anyone in the history of the game.  Obviously ldir/il/blid are up there, but you've put in tons of effort over a decade now.

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
  • LAWL! LICK MY RIPESTICKZ0R H0M0 :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
! No longer available

A young newbie in 2001 starting out on the game.

Soon later sometime in 2002 I tried installing Diablo II after a lot of my old clan mates left the game and made the switch. That computer in the video was saying not enough room, newbie me deleted some files and the computer would never load Warcraft 2 again.

I started playing on a new computer my dad bought when I went to his house every other weekend. Every time I saw more of my friends on the game disappear and noticed the free castles community which use to be the majority of games was being replaced by paintball players.

2004 I started going to my local library and sneaking the war2 install onto their computers by saving the file under a different path. Then my dad later moved back with my mom for a short time, he brought the computer with him. When he left again he left the computer for me. (My dad shortly played as x-DW-x)Raven( he was more into campaign though)

By this time with more access to the computer I was making it a mission to grow the game. I had started recruiting heavily and the USWest server was full of players under DW tag, and DW labeled maps being hosted.

By 2005 I joined the War2Occult forums, and hit my peak on castles where I was playing at a insane level. It was on the Occult where I began researching old threads and learning about some of the history of players and the game. It fascinated me. I switched from Castles to begin learning the built in maps, something I had been very vocal against before. I also switched from hosting castles tournaments, to making these types as well. Then ArchAngel gave me a spot on the IGL when he decided to take a break, where Blid also came on board and we managed it pretty successful to get a nice chunk of players actually being involved.

|League stats: 341 members (127 active in past 3 weeks), 4323 matches played by current members|

Finally in 2006 I contacted Ldir and he got the war2.ru english version up and running with my partner Blid on board as well. Only 5 years after the video of this young boy in the battle.net chat. I grew up with this community and feel like I continue to mature and learn to this day. I have met a lot of great friends on here, and lost a couple too.

Merry Christmas to you all, and here is to a Happy New Year!

Hope to see you all Jan 1st, 3pm est time at the KOTH 2vs2 Tournament.

respect man!!!

<3

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »
Yeah nice one mate, thanks for this :)
I love a bit of nostelgia
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!