Author Topic: FYI runes are awesome  (Read 4275 times)

Offline UK_Restless

• Peon
    • View Profile
FYI runes are awesome
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
hey guys, ive noticed in my years of playing war2 online i do not see people using runes..
and this little topic is just to let you know a few of my secrets about runes.. how to use them where to use them best and when to use them more impotently

1: runes can be used to stop transport ships and or damage the units leaving the ship.. just place the runes directly behind the ship or where the units will pop.. and watch your kaboom on the fog of war :)

2: runes can be used to defend your transport ships from sub attacks just pull over drop a ogre and cast behind your moving ship..

3: runes can stop buildings and blocking in bottle necks it only takes one rune to destroy a new building.. and leaving a few in your failed attacks wake.. can work nicely for a little chaos where rebuilding is concerned

4: runes can be cast in a multi function like blizzard.. but if 3 ogre's stand 1 space apart and cast runes together at 1 away from the middle ogre it casts a wall of runes directly in front of all 3 ogre's to make a defense stance.. runes are more effective than panic bloodlusting but requires tactical retreats and skillful planing   

5: runes can damage a unit before its built.. just cast the rune at the place the unit will appear from barracks.. and when it pops out watch the unit burn :)

now mind you dont hurt yourself.. explosive's are dangerous n all   ^-^

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
Re: FYI runes are awesome
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »
it can also drop a charging enemy lusted or not(#4 :P)...but 200 mana.... maybe just have a spare group of renagade orges to to charge up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:13:11 PM by easycompany »

Offline UK_Restless

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:31:05 PM »
if using the multicast method it only takes 150 mana..  but the first selected ogre must have 200 in order to cast the spell..

if you brake up 3 ogre's 1 space apart.. and multicast runes at the feet of the middle ogre they all lay the runes directly in-front of themselves that makes a 12 runes at 150 mana each :)

and a nice defensive wall, try it for yourself  8)

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »
I think Bobbo had a similar topic on old forums about how awesome runes are. Have this post moved to server.war2.ru section!

Offline the_magician

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
underrated spell for sure

but the cost of 200 mana means you will be in many situations where you cannot fully lust your group

i think they can be used very well but its just one other thing to micromanage in a game so hard already

i have seen them used by certain players to mine the goldmines similar to D&D

still cant decide if it's good or not, guess it depends on map and situation

the same could be said about spells like polymorph or even unholy armor

Offline UK_Restless

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
it can also kill invisible mage's and peons.. but the fact 2 ogres casting together only costs 150 mana each is awesome :)

Offline UncleBobbo

• Peon
    • View Profile
    • Games I created with friends
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:32 AM »
I think Bobbo had a similar topic on old forums about how awesome runes are. Have this post moved to server.war2.ru section!

The REAL pros get runes first, then lust.
Wartoo

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
I always research Runes, it's an awesome spell. really nice for reinforcing an attack/defence. Like in gow, attacking 2 is nice with runes cause the only way in/out is a small space.

It's also nice as a mini death and decay. Or when attacking an expansions wall-in, casting runes where the repairing peons will come. Very underrated spell!

Offline UK_Restless

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
its just another reason orc are the best..

bloodlust / runes / haste are better than the human equivalent