Author Topic: Disturbing amount of nasty people  (Read 9890 times)

Offline jason767

• Peon
    • View Profile
Disturbing amount of nasty people
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:55:48 AM »
This is probably the first online gaming "community" i've been part of, aside from Game of War(you know the app for phones/tablets).

Are gaming communities usually like this?

I have to say, i'm really disappointed and shocked at the amount of abuse, angry and intolerance. I only start playing a bit over a couple weeks ago, and for example, if I couldn't find a mine within 5 seconds, i'd get called a retard, stupid, dumb. And not just once, but over and over again. I can understand someone calling you a noob...or saying you're too slow, but constantly trying to belittle your mental capabilities because you're a little slow at warcraft??

I mean, are there people here that seriously believe that Warcraft 2 is a measure of intelligence? No offense to anyone here who is intelligent, or anyone who isn't, but I never really imagined people who spend hours upon hours playing games, as highly regarded intellectuals.

Furthermore, the amount of impatience and aggression is also disappointing- People taking out their anger on others if their side is losing, or if they tell you to do something and you don't do it-many times this results in an absolute barrage of anger and insults. Again, no offence to anyone here, but again, I kind of have trouble imagining someone who spends significant amounts of their life playing video games, someone who would have the courage to shout or abuse people in real life.

So what's the go here... is this normal in the online gaming world? Is this place really full of really smart people that can't tolerate anything less than perfection? Or is it filled with angry, lonely people that arent getting anywhere in life and use warcraft to make themselves feel better than others?

Once again, not trying to bash the majority of people who play this game, as there are heaps of really nice helpful people. Just seems I can't go a day without running into a lot of aggression, when i'm just trying to chill out and have fun with people

Offline d0ng3rdik

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Disturbing amount of nasty people
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
eat shit whiner

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
yep, its normal here.
Even shittier in MOBA communities, but less shitty in age of empires 2. Get used to and ignore or overtroll them. if you use caps, you gain confidence and automatically win every argument

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
You need to realize a lot of people that play this game do in fact play it for 20-30 hours a week if not more.

Thats about how many hours a part time job would give you.

Our community has a toxic atmosphere, but the reason why people are yelling at you is because they do in fact know within the first 5 - 10 secs whether you are bad or not.

Most people in gaming communitys do take it very seriously. Hence the abuse they spew at you. If you like this game and want to continue playing and improving, your best bet is to spend some time watching some training videos. You may bring up the argument "I don't care about this game enough to do all that." Which is ok.
But players can tell if you are trying to improve your game or just playing to kill time. And if your anwser is the latter you will continue to receive abuse and slander justfied or not.
war2 > war3

Online O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bad expierence.

Here is my suggestion to you. If you have not done it already, fix your port forwarding so that you can host your own games. I see a few other people host "noob only" or "noob welcome" kind of game titles and they seem to fill up pretty well with players. There are a lot of other people like you but they just need the games to play. Help get them started.

Also one other thing, throw your information down at http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,2304.15.html the Noob Recruitment bulletin board and take down other players information as well that already posted. Invite them on to play and have some fun.

Like Tora said, hope you are watching the videos also http://youtube.com/war2combat we have a ton of new content usually everyday that you can try to mimic, and when you are getting good enough the Strategy 101 Show by 00Joe/StarTale is there as well in the front page playlist.

Most importantly please stick around, need to help bridge the gap between pro's and new players but if everyone leaves we will never be able to do that.

zug zug

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »
they are good people in it,hopefully find some one that can be a teammate,that u get along with etc.

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
How about a list of the good people that can host and let noobs play,

1. Xurnt
2. Mousetopher/mousey
3. Tora
4. Babyshark
5. Lux/logan
6. Jos
7. Talrand
8. He-man
9. Cherrycoke/stupididiot
10. Warhammer/thegood shepherd
11. Azazel
12. Sale39

Feel free to add to the list

There are a group of players that always play hsc/foc but i can't think of their names.

Online O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
LordVaras/ring62/GoodSheperd play the water maps and host for all, this guy called KingKongXXX hosts noob games.

Offline jason767

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.  Yeah, It would actually be a good idea to get my hosting right. I did try a couple times, then learnt I needed to make a few adjustments, so I'll definitely look into making the necessary adjustments when the time comes.

That was actually a good list of people who host games, i've played in hosted games with most of them.. and most of them are very patient and great to play with. I've played quite a lot hosted by sale39, especially.

I didn't want to name any names, but since he posted, D0ng3rddik was actually the 1st unpleasant guy I had the misfortune of dealing with.
He's constantly swearing and throwing around racial epithets. It's not intimidating or funny, just makes me feel bad for him.

Offline jason767

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
oh and thatnks for the links to the videos i'll check them out. I've had a look at  a few on youtube (like chopstyx and G3mini), those guys are insanely fast and then they speed up their videos.

The main thing for me is knowing the maps off by heart, especially in Garden of War. Helps a lot to know exactly where all the goldmines are and which areas to block off. I have a good idea of where the mines are but often waste a lot of time by walking my peons to the wrong side of the trees and getting blocked off which wastes valuable time.

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
The main thing for me is knowing the maps off by heart, especially in Garden of War. Helps a lot to know exactly where all the goldmines are and which areas to block off. I have a good idea of where the mines are but often waste a lot of time by walking my peons to the wrong side of the trees and getting blocked off which wastes valuable time.

Yeah, once you figure out where all the mines are you'll fit right in
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline warbandit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:54:38 AM »
How about a list of the good people that can host and let noobs play,

1. Xurnt
2. Mousetopher/mousey
3. Tora
4. Babyshark
5. Lux/logan
6. Jos
7. Talrand
8. He-man
9. Cherrycoke/stupididiot
10. Warhammer/thegood shepherd
11. Azazel
12. Sale39
13. Warbandit
Feel free to add to the list

I usually let new kids play alot of times i'll ally them.

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:03:05 AM »
Sorry about your experience, alot of gaming communities can be bad, mobas in particular,  but war2 is alot harsher on the newer players as it can gets to points where you literally can't play a game due to the low player count.

Not all gaming communities are terrible though. past few months i've been playing diablo 2 online again and haven't had 1 bad encounter with anyone yet, and alot of people help newer or returning players get on their feet with either gear, rushes or quick levelling.

Hope you stick around and get good at the game though. Best of luck!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
Yes, nastiness is a big part of war2 culture unfortunately. Those people tend to be the loudest which can make it seem like they're everywhere, but as others say there are plenty of chill, pleasant people too who will pard newbs, give us tips, not flip out when we make them lose, etc. Glad to hear you're making an effort to get through the hazing c: You can also try out our Discord server (free web-based voice/text chat, also has a client you can install) which tends to be used more by new players than pros. It's nice because you can @mention people and send desktop notices to bother them to come play war2 when they're not at war2. Invite people to use Discord whenever you can to make it more useful for everyone!

Yeah, once you figure out where all the mines are you'll fit right in

listen to Swift, he's Legend
squeak!

Offline the_magician

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
the problem with this game is there is no matchmaking system

if you are partnered with a newb then you automatically lose

keep in mind some people have been playing this game since it was released like 20 years ago; and they take it very seriously

if you want to fit in you better learn fast or gtfo

best way to learn is to first watch at least 100 games to understand the general strategy, as well as base layouts, towering etc

then you should play vs computer to get your APM (actions per minute) to a decent amount

there is not queing units so you need really high APM to play this game at a somewhat decent level

after that start by playing in 4v4s or 3v3s and listen to your allies, help them in any way possible and learn the basic strategy from each spot

then start to 1v1 other new players

i underestimating the learning curve myself, and despite all said above i am still dumpster trash at this game

only stay if you have time to invest and really enjoy this oldschool rts

cheers  8)