Ok, I've started to play and watch more maps than Chop Farms recently. What I found out is that Warcraft 2 doesn't have many (any) really good balanced maps. Of course there is still fun maps in Warcraft 2, and probably many i don't know about. But if you compare to other RTS games, like Starcraft and Warcraft 3, the maps are more balanced and built very different compared to Warcraft 2.
After some thinking, I finally decided to try make a port of Twisted Meadows from Warcraft 3, it's one of the most popular maps in the game. My first goal was to get the proportions right, second i've been trying to change small stuff to make it work better in War2. My goal is of course to make a map with long, exciting and tactical matches.
So why did I choose to make a port from Warcraft 3? Other big competitive games often have maps going from one version to the other. This map is played thousands of times, probably way more than GOW every been played. It's known by a large group of people (even not playing Warcraft 2), makes it easier for new players to the community and also veteran players.
After some testing it looks really promising. I hope people will help me test it by play it a lot. If there is interest from the community i would love to work on the map much more. If it gets enough testing i will probably change a lot of things on the map.
The map has a lot of features, some special once to
- There is four spawns so maximum 1s and 2s games.
- Each spawn towards each corner.
- Two expansions per player.
- One expansion near and one more secret.
- Similar amount of Gold in mines as GOW.
- Two chokes to each spawn.
- Wall off (with buildings) is possible but not necessary.
- Many ways to wall off and protect bases.
- 2nd expansion can wall off with two buildings.
- Runestone protecting natural and 2nd expansion.
- You can build on light dirt (to make it more look like the original map)
- Every spawn has island (with bridge) behind natural.
- Units won't get stuck moving over major part of map
- 3rd expansion can't be walled off
- All spawns is same in space, features and balance. They look little bit different though.
And much more!
Here is some images:
** Wasn't allowed to link to images on this post ** Google Images: Twisted Meadows Warcraft 3....
Edit: I managed to attach one screenshot from the Warcraft 3 version too
I attached screenshots of the WC2 version (hope it works...)
I don't have time to explain the map more in detail atm. But might put up some more images explaining some parts of the map that is not obvious. For example you can build buildings all the way next to the rocks at the 2nd expansions. You can't walk past the runestones.....
Please join games hosting this map and help me improve it, thanks