Author Topic: New map Twisted Meadows, port from Warcraft 3  (Read 18010 times)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
New map Twisted Meadows, port from Warcraft 3
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »
UPDATE MAJOR CHANGES 2018-04-30! Map version (3.0).

Changes:
- Mine in middle got some more walls.
- Light dirt is replaced by dark grass, to not confuse player that can't understand you can't build on it :)
- Gold amount small adjustments.
- Minor tree fixes.
- Changed names to my version control naming system with (+) instead of "3.0".

- Attaching two observer versions to this post too.
Twisted Meadows+ hobs = Host is observer. Slot 2, 3 ,4 ,5 is playing rest observers. Fixed order is needed.
Twisted Meadows+ obs = Slot 1, 2, 3, 4 is playing (host is playing). Rest is observer spots. Fixed order is needed.

Continued balancing fixes might be needed, but more testing needs to be done first.

Have fun : )

Orginal 0.8 text:
ELO forum!

Ok, I've started to play and watch more maps than Chop Farms recently. What I found out is that Warcraft 2 doesn't have many (any) really good balanced maps. Of course there is still fun maps in Warcraft 2, and probably many i don't know about. But if you compare to other RTS games, like Starcraft and Warcraft 3, the maps are more balanced and built very different compared to Warcraft 2.

After some thinking, I finally decided to try make a port of Twisted Meadows from Warcraft 3, it's one of the most popular maps in the game. My first goal was to get the proportions right, second i've been trying to change small stuff to make it work better in War2. My goal is of course to make a map with long, exciting and tactical matches.

So why did I choose to make a port from Warcraft 3? Other big competitive games often have maps going from one version to the other. This map is played thousands of times, probably way more than GOW every been played. It's known by a large group of people (even not playing Warcraft 2), makes it easier for new players to the community and also veteran players.

After some testing it looks really promising. I hope people will help me test it by play it a lot. If there is interest from the community i would love to work on the map much more. If it gets enough testing i will probably change a lot of things on the map.

The map has a lot of features, some special once to ;D

- There is four spawns so maximum 1s and 2s games.
- Each spawn towards each corner.
- Two expansions per player.
- One expansion near and one more secret.
- Similar amount of Gold in mines as GOW.
- Two chokes to each spawn.
- Wall off (with buildings) is possible but not necessary.
- Many ways to wall off and protect bases.
- 2nd expansion can wall off with two buildings.
- Runestone protecting natural and 2nd expansion.
- You can build on light dirt (to make it more look like the original map)
- Every spawn has island (with bridge) behind natural.
- Units won't get stuck moving over major part of map
- 3rd expansion can't be walled off
- All spawns is same in space, features and balance. They look little bit different though.

And much more!

Here is some images:
WC3 Version:
** Wasn't allowed to link to images on this post ** Google Images: Twisted Meadows Warcraft 3....
Edit: I managed to attach one screenshot from the Warcraft 3 version too :)

I attached screenshots of the WC2 version (hope it works...)

I don't have time to explain the map more in detail atm. But might put up some more images explaining some parts of the map that is not obvious. For example you can build buildings all the way next to the rocks at the 2nd expansions. You can't walk past the runestones.....

Please join games hosting this map and help me improve it, thanks :)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:06:27 AM by eleison »

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: New map Twisted Meadows, port from Warcraft 3
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
i would suggest using war2xed instead of rocks and runestones, then you can place forect directly next to the water or make the shores wallable

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »
I haven't checked it out yet, but in twisted meadows in warcraft 3, to expand at the corners with the level 10 red dragons, you need a zepplin to get there, is your alternative to that to build a shipyard and transport units or to just chop to it?

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:01:10 AM »
I haven't checked it out yet, but in twisted meadows in warcraft 3, to expand at the corners with the level 10 red dragons, you need a zepplin to get there, is your alternative to that to build a shipyard and transport units or to just chop to it?
opening the jpg and checking it out by yourself would take you much less time than typing this post

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 02:45:12 AM »
It actually wouldn't, i'm a very fast typer.

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 03:54:02 AM »
i would suggest using war2xed instead of rocks and runestones, then you can place forect directly next to the water or make the shores wallable

Thanks Claw for feedback! Normally you can't build close to rocks either. I put them there so it would be more clear that it is possible to wall off there. Maybe i remove them and just use the shore, but then it might be less obvious that you can wall off. I use puddraft which is by far the best editor i found. :)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:21 AM »

This part of the map is probably that needs the most balancing adjustments! Right now there is just a bridge over there (that you can't wall off). Maybe I move the bridge so you have to chop to it to get to the island. In Warcraft 3 I think you can chop the trees or "eat em" to get to the island, but you can also buy a zeppelin to get there. But it is a cold down on the zeppelin, so you can't just go there and expand from start. That's why i put the forest around the mine, to make it take little bit more effort, because the expansion is so hidden and hard to reach for the enemies. If you only can reach the island by transport ships i think it will be to easy to defend.

The goal is that the 2nd expansion will be the most natural to take, that's how it is played in Warcraft 3!

Offline Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:30 AM »
You could put a rescueable yard and foundry ;p so it follows the zeppelin concept. I'm pretty sure you have to use "use map settings" anyway cause of the ability to build on dirt.

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:38 AM »
You could put a rescueable yard and foundry ;p so it follows the zeppelin concept. I'm pretty sure you have to use "use map settings" anyway cause of the ability to build on dirt.

I could make so you could buy flying carriage from shops, but that would change war2 gameplay so much? :;D

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
nope, UMS is needed only for non-default unit settings
wall-able shores can be played on melee/tvb no problem

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
lone got right.. u can capture buldings like in single with ally, u cant capture building in multi as melee/tvb u need use UMS
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
i was not talking about capturable buildings. What would be the point anyway? you could just have them from the start

Offline SHxKnight

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
I've played a ton of AT matches and 1v1 on this map, I approve! Let's play it soon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline the_magician

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 03:05:15 AM »
sounds cool man!

make LOST TEMPLE from SC next!

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
I've played a ton of AT matches and 1v1 on this map, I approve! Let's play it soon...

Cool, thanks :) Some games been played on the server, everyone that played it thinks it fun :)