Author Topic: How open are you guys to an expansion/patch?  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Incos

• Grunt
    • View Profile
How open are you guys to an expansion/patch?
« on: March 21, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Ie. balancing changes/spell recost(bloodlust)/added tier 2 features or added features in general or simply porting into something say Starcraft for an added race.

Would you guys play?

Would you run away?

Do you just like things the way they are, it's fine if you do.

https://www.twitch.tv/incoswc - my twitch. Streaming 9:30pm - 11pm est most days!!

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: How open are you guys to an expansion/patch?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »
Most people like playing the game the way it is so if something like this was undertaken it'd have to be an optional thing that only takes affect if everyone in the game has it turned on.  But I do think different cost on bloodlust etc could be interesting.  Issue is, I mean, that would just make orcs slightly more annoying to play and the two races would still be basically the same, and I don't think people would really make use of it.  You'd have to figure out something that actually creates a spark of interest and experimentation if you wanted people to use it.  I think something like making axers/archers or their upgrades drastically stronger, birds more resilient, adding a new unit?, I don't know.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
i would totally play a patched game, with new balance changes etc it would be a totally different and much better game

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »
Ie. balancing changes/spell recost(bloodlust)/added tier 2 features or added features in general or simply porting into something say Starcraft for an added race.

Would you guys play?

Would you run away?

Do you just like things the way they are, it's fine if you do.

I would play a patched war2 exe... if you stuck around long enough it would give me enough time to release a tool me and easycompany have been working on for over a year now. This will allow you to modify war2.exe spells, units, costs, etc... all that stuff so you don't have to mod sc... plus i know people wont touch starcraft because of the buffer overflow glitch.... that leads to resource hacks, millions of drones bring spawned.. Or the fact you can type /drop player1 and crash their game....

If you want to go deep into a project go join the guys making war2 on sc2 engine! That would be my advise! If you can reverse and find cool shit join my team and help build onto our tool! Easycompany discovered if you replace a spell for example blizzard replaces holy vision you can blizzard at 255 range... Just tons of stuff to document...

I have an idea how to prevent people from needing to replace there war2.exe from editing memory live and comparing with the host configuration files....

Lambchop suggested to just extend the .pud file... Let me know what you can do and if you want to join us...

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
Yeah if it could be done you could just let someone host a "Garden of war EXTRA.pud" and it has a new unit in it somehow, archers that when upgraded into rangers are stronger than grunts or something, but that kind of mod within pud seems pretty advanced...

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
  • LAWL! LICK MY RIPESTICKZ0R H0M0 :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
too late. good idea tho and interesting but it shoulda been done 10-15years ago. now too much nostagic feelings and so small player base.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
too late. good idea tho and interesting but it shoulda been done 10-15years ago. now too much nostagic feelings and so small player base.

It was done years ago! Even before battle.net patched war2hack that would allow you to modify everything in war2! It hasn't been redone since battle.net version! Hope the tool being worked on will shine some light on war2 or keep it alive a little longer!

I remember all the cool mods war2 use to have! I posted some graphics and exes for war2dos in the mods section.

Yeah if it could be done you could just let someone host a "Garden of war EXTRA.pud" and it has a new unit in it somehow, archers that when upgraded into rangers are stronger than grunts or something, but that kind of mod within pud seems pretty advanced...
Not really you can just change the graphics and use the map editors to make water unit become land units... You can use the transport ships to an air unit and make dropsships... Or even use the hero's replace their graphics and make them rescueable. All that with just the mpq and maps...

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
I would totally play and think its an excellent idea!

However, I think there should be a way to still access classical mode for purists and those who long for both varieties.
Goals should be to find level of balance with out eroding some of the fundamental mechanics that make this game great.
Finding consensus for agreed upon changes is important.

Humans-
Non Controversial changes - that would make humans more competitive at Lust Stage-

Paladins Healing should be a proximity spell 3x2 like Runes with a better Heal to mana ratio

Auto heal takes the micro fun out of the game. And knights wouldn’t necessarily have to run every time they encounter lust. They could sustain minimal losses vs a pack of lusted
run away when mana runs low and retreat to a defensive position and wait for mana to fully heal, then would be able to take down the pack of lusted ogers that are now weak.  It preserves the lust power factor while giving the humans viable counter manuvers.

Mage - Slow should have greater range- Its a decent counter to have a mage with a pack of knights vs lust but by the time ur in position to cast slow, the mage is usually picked off or they’ve landed a lot of critical hits on your knights already and you aren’t in ideal position to mage bomb.

FireBall- Very inaccurate spell unlike death coil.

Ballistas- Fix the misfire bug.

Optional Human Tweaks for better competition but not absolutely necessary-

Exorcism for 2500 is expensive as shit and requires full mana to not even kill a dk, by which point someone would have multiple farmed in dks any way or could just attack it in the open. It makes a bad ass sound when you cast it.  It would be a lot more relevant if the cost was only 500 - 1000

And the mana requirement to kill was 150 or 200….  This could lead to more interesting late games where Fliers became a great asset for humans to spot and pick off dks. Orc
would also no longer be able to get away with a hasted dk to ruin your main exp. Many more players would be forced to get Unholy Armor to counter this at appropriate rally points.

Radical Human Changes-  As it stands humans are at a disadvantage at Fort and Hall stages…
Hall for the simple reason 2400 is a lot when you’re 2 rax rushing. True the 3:1 lumber equivalent exists for orcs but, it’s different when it’s already banked and lumber isn’t as scarce at early game. A small delay in footmen production is enough for you to get outrushed which means u get out powered and out tech’d usually. Late lvl 5 sometimes means they’re already ogers by the time you make your main strike which is already a danger when Hard rushing.

Option 1 - Give Humans the same lvl 5 upgrade as Orcs

Option 2 - Make Humans the Stronger race at Strong hold while orcs retain their Hall and Fort Advantage to set the stages for Late game. If Humans were given the 20% extra gold at hold instead of waiting for Castle and the ability to make a church at Hold that make them quite a force to be reckoned with at the Hold stage. It would discourage that crowd who thinks war2 should be powering for 10 minutes until lust and try to back door them with a few grunts. They would be forced to not skip early game or at the very least make proper anti sap, tower builds for the keep stage if you planned on racing to lust. Then, once you survive the Keep onslaught you would take control at the lust stage and hopefully they haven’t gained too much map control.

Option 3- Weird option, that i’m against- Switch lvl 5 upgrades for Humans and Orcs, would give humans slight hall advantage.

I think option 2 would be the coolest here!  You would see more dual rushing I’m guessing.

Non Controversial Orc Changes-   Skeletons is essentially a useless spell used to clown people once the game is already over. If it cost only 500 - 800 people would
say fuck it why not.  They need either greater attacking power or speed, so it actually becomes a useful spell for killing farmed in dks. So if you’re not paying attention a skeleton could wipe out a bunch of farmed in dks.

Runes 200 mana is pretty good most the time but in close intense games many ogers don’t live long enough to reach 200 mana. Especially if humans are given 150 Mana for Exo, Runes 150 would still be pretty reasonable. It would become a more integral part of the game and perhaps encourage more people to get fliers and not turtle as Hard massing ogers knowing inaction can cause people to temporarily make certain routes treacherous and seize territory.

I wouldn’t really make any other Orc Changes. They are pretty bad ass!

3rd RACE - Zerg Mized with Demons would be a pretty cool race to occupy the Random SLot or whatever.

I don’t know enough about starcraft to envision their dynamics but if each other race has an advantage at mid and later game. Zerg should be given
some sort of an Advantage at Early game. Maybe 500 Dollar Grunts with slightly cheaper level upgrades. Could they also be given Diagonal buildings ? This could give them nice layering for choke points so they don’t fall to a single breach. It would also make the Hopping Dynamic harder or easier to gain entry into a dual or power. 1 extra range on archer equivalent would be cool 2 for hit and run attacks.

— Pathing sucks and rally points could be interesting — However, I enjoy war2 has all these arcane rules with shifting priorities that means non stop multi tasking and while y ou’re busy attending to some mundane task you get hit by a pack of 20 lusted or a hasted dk. Shit getting stuck cuz of your lapse of attention is kind of fun and always elicits an intense emotional response!! SSSS MOTHER FUCKER. I would leave it but some people might appreciate less to do

I think these would be some awesome changes for a breath of fresh air into war2 with an added layer of strategy with out too much complexity. And still retain a way to revert to classic war2 mode…..

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:30:34 AM »
^^^ I didn't read this yet (will check it out more later) but if you can get someone like PB hosting your special "map" or running your project, he can host games and a lot of people will start checking it out.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
i think best idea is making new map editor than new game
there will be lot of bug if some1 got another version than another player
like me now since i got new ai.. many times i dropped cause i forgot i got diffrent ai

for balance? i would only add to stable speed for knights like in w1 ( +1 at keep upgarde avalibe +2 at castle) nothing more
if u change lust from 50 to 100 ppl will not could def their base if enemy is attacking ogres with bl cause u will not have mana if ogres just come out  from rax

http://chomikuj.pl/vendar/WarCraft+II+MODemo

download patch 1.1 and stratugus
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
Since archers pretty much never get used, is there any way of changing their attack speed to that of a death knight/ mages? Perhaps an upgrade?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
I would wager that exorcism works on DKs with unholy armor.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
Well you know if you have full mana and use coil it casts multiple times! If you change a dks attack to fireball it will make multiple fireballs at once. Easy switch it to heal and test is heal is casted multiple times?

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:52:43 AM »
All youd need to do is give paladins cheap runes.  Simplest and most interesting way to balance.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »
Lambchop suggested to just extend the .pud file...

Yeah I'm pretty sure this would work well, its probably going to be the next thing I do. Right now I'm just finishing off an update to my ppl editor and getting evicted.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!