Author Topic: Warcraft 1 modding  (Read 43020 times)

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft 1 modding
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 04:17:17 AM »
Now it uses DosBox connection. There two cases how to play through Internet.
1. Use Hamachi or something like this to emulate local Network, DosBox+Warcraft should be started as IPX server, WinWar has simple connection page:

2. It's possible to deploy IPX server on any server with open 213 port. It can be empty DosBox (without Warcraft) or any another 3rd-party implementation. IL has one deployed on war2.ru, but looks like right now it's down.
In this case you need to start your DosBox with Warcraft in IPX-client mode. For WinWar nothing will be changed.
BUT. It can be really slow. All the packets will go though Internet twice. Client1->Server, Server-Client2.

May be in future I'll add PVPGN support. But I'm too lazy to implement it by myself. The only acceptable solution is to reuse storm.dll. But this is very-very far future.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
crap i was hoping dosbox would be ok..ive played war2 1.3 between my comps ..one android one a  pc :D..   local it seemed pretty good.if noone is testing with ya ill try it.. if we can meet on a time.

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
@easycompany
I tested it with IL previously. But IL is away for a while, so any testing help will be appreciated.
If you want I can share with you WinWar exe. But it has some limitation (no music, one sound channel), and the only benefit is that you need no DosBox.
In any case, I think we need to have Hamachi to emulate local Network.

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »
Hello i edited w1 save  :fro:

wana help me mod units for wc2?
this is normal

this is my save

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2019, 12:04:18 AM »
crap i was hoping dosbox would be ok..ive played war2 1.3 between my comps ..one android one a  pc :D..   local it seemed pretty good.if noone is testing with ya ill try it.. if we can meet on a time.

im down to test

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2019, 05:02:11 AM »
Hello i edited w1 save  :fro:

wana help me mod units for wc2?
this is normal

this is my save

Easycompany did it allready
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »
Tutorial to make TER & FOG map files for Warcraft 1 with Tiled
Hello. I have some free time, so I make project files for Tiled and tilesets to fit Warcraft map format. :)
I make tilesets by hand, so maybe have errors. Feel free to report if Tiled gfx not fit in game.

We need:
Tiled
Tiled to Binary Converter 2
Wardraft 1.4a
HexEditor or Notepad
Attached Tiled files

Make copy of your DATA.WAR file.
Open Tiled file - WarcraftCave.tmx, WarcraftForest.tmx or WarcraftSwamp.tmx.
Select TER layer and tileset. Draw map. Tileset have many images for compatibility, so don't use walls, roads etc. to draw map.
IMPORTANT! If you select layer, you must select tileset manualy. This not work automatically.

Ok we have map. Now place working trees, water/wall, cave exit. Select FOG layer and Fog tileset and draw.

E = Cave exit. Heroes must step on it to end mission. Place like 5x5 etc.
T = Trees.
W = Collision. Place on water for forest/swamp or on walls in cave.
Remove only with Tiled "Eraser" tool, don't use black tile.
If map is done, Save as... like Human01Full.tmx. Now we need to split data. Remove FOG layer (right click/Remove Layers) and Fog tileset (trashcan), map Save as... Human01TER.tmx. Open Human01Full.tmx, remove TER layer and terrain tileset and Save As... Human01FOG.tmx.

Run Tiled to Binary Converter 2, set to 16bit and unselect all options.

Load Human01TER.tmx, Save as 63.bin. Load Human01FOG.tmx, Save as 64.bin.

Now we have two binary files, but too large 8227 bytes per file. Open 63.bin and 64.bin in Hex editor or Notepad and remove first 35 bytes to fit 8192 bytes. Save files, remove .bin extension.

Open Wardraft 1.4a. Load DATA.WAR. Select 63:, "Import a file"

Load 63 map, select replace, compress and import. Select DATA.WAR to modify. Repeat with 64:.

Run Warcraft and start human campaign. :)

We only make 2 of 4 map files. I change some bytes in file 117 to change tileset to swamp for Human01 map.

ok I tested it, and it will cost lot of time to make a nice map
Is it possible to open old map?
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
sure maybe on a weekend everyone is free. warbux can to.. come to think of it me and tupac played war2 in dosbox its seemed to do pretty well.

i think we was a vps though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:36:52 PM by easycompany »

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »
sheeit i can remake u gow for wc1 lol

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 04:56:39 AM »
Thank you for supporting guys. But let me explain some details what I really need.
Of course we can also just play War1, but I need at least 20-30 min for testing.
I'm checking all the game mechanics step by step from basic to complex. Now moving/building is working, but there were some issues in combat logic.

So for the nearest testing I need to test game with peons and grunts only. Without magic/archers/catapults. Also without walls. We can setup starting army with a couple of grunts to speed up this process.
But the most annoying thing is next. The best way to check if game is still synchronized is verify peons position. Direction of units when they are idle of just created is generated by common RND functionality, which should by synchronized. So, at the start of game somebody needs to enter cheat for vision "SALLY SHEARS". I've added message for both of users when any peon is created, like this:

You need to check if you see the same direction and confirm this to chat. In another case it has no sense to continue the game.
Directions are:
7-0-1
6-X-2
5-4-3
And both of players should record video with game process. In DosBox it's just Ctrl+Alt+F5.
This is example of testing game (the speed is quite low, we use additional server):

war 009 - YouTube

Is it acceptable for you?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »
ya ofc..nice!

Offline Doomer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »
Warcraft campaign and multiplayer maps converted to Tiled. Missing bridges and doors info added to Fog/Passable.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:34:58 PM by Doomer »

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
here ...grabbing coffee ....sure

u got a discord?

:o i forgot i cant test with hamachi..if thats how we are connecting...win7 has a unsigned driver and it will not let me force install....

warbux can ..he's  got  the win10
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:46:08 AM by easycompany »

Offline Storycraft

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
I have successfully translated Warcraft II(thanks to iL) and StarCraft to Korean.
Can you access and edit the fonts in Warcraft I?
I searched the font(files like font10.fnt as in Warcraft II) in WarDraft, but I couldn't find it.
war1gus is extracting font image files into the contrib\fonts\ folder. Is it related to this?
(Русский) Warcraft III Reforged Stratholme cutscenes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyglKS9J2Fw

Warcraft 2 campaign in Warcraft 3 http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mRBcSMjn3no/VL5KZvmMjwI/AAAAAAAADE4/PQPxJB_lRnk/s1600/0.png