Author Topic: better hosting?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline ibrockinsteve

• Peon
    • View Profile
better hosting?
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
Is there a way to get better hosting? im not a techie but there's no reason such an old game should lag. Are there any closer servers or faster servers?

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: better hosting?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
probably, but there's no server that's closer to everyone since people are in all countries. also, I know like .1% of how pvpgn works but I don't think server location matters too much once the matches start, then the connection is between the players. you will need lamby or someone to weigh in to get a real answer though.
squeak!

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
Yeap, Server doesn't matter for Lag...
It is really user related :-/
There are ways to fix it if you are often lagging.
Server matters only for DOS attacks (towards it).
Obviously, more expensive servers might be better protected by a DOS attack. I remember one day that the server was attacked and it was horrible to start the game.
After it was okay.

I think iL has physical access to the server. So perhaps the community could put a penny for upgrading the server defenses.

Offline ibrockinsteve

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
so why is there lag? an old game that was played on old modems lags?

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
Its usually conflicts.  Though I had a problem on one of my older laptops where I couldn't join a game of 3+ people without the game lagging like it was played on the slowest speed but I could host 8 people perfectly fine, Yamon ended up fixing the  issues with joining games, but the issue came back when I had to reset my router one time. And lance ended up fixing it permanently  afterwards.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
once you're in game the server has zero impact on the game. at that point, it's player's computers talking to each other.

I'm not sure if you've forwarded your ports.. but I can say for sure that not only does port forwarding fix hosting for most, but it also greatly reduces lag and conflict in games.