Author Topic: (newb) anything but ogres?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
(newb) anything but ogres?
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »
Hi!

I've seen quite a few competitive multiplayer games here, and I can't help but ask these three questions:
  • Does anyone ever play as Humans? I don't think I saw anyone. There are magic-related reasons, of course, but is it really that bad? No one cares for visuals?
  • Does anyone ever build Boomdwarves/Mages/Gryphons? I've never seen anyone using any tactics other than "let this angry mob of bloodlusted ogres do the talking"
  • Does anyone ever play on naval maps? If so, are battleships the "ogres" of naval battles?

Cheers!

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: (newb) anything but ogres?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »
Hey.

1. Yes there are some human players, but not very many, I am one of few who plays human frequently. But people play Orcs because Blooodlust is just that much of a game changer compared to any of the human paladins abilities.

2. People do make Sappers/dwarves, it's just they are not seen very often on gow due to everyone wanting to save there lumber to tech to fortress straight away for lust, Players like braviet seem to use them a bit more frequently though, Mages/Death Knights are used always to attack/defend expansions with DND/Blizzard , it's definitely a late game thing you will see, Gryphons/Dragons are ok for some maps but on gow large amounts of them don't end up working well, Death knights and guard towers kill them easy. Though having 1-2 dragons roam the map either scouting expansions or attacking ogres is helpful, but don't
 keep them together and overspend on them.

3. Most people play gow, but you'll occasionally see water maps hosted. You will still need ogres to attack the players gold line and destroy buildings, but when it comes to ship vs ship, battleships are good, specially if you can catch some units near shore. Destroyers are good for attacking air units and chasing transports  Submarines are good if people aren't paying attention or you're vsing someone newby, but if someone knows where your submarine is, they can just attack ground with the battleship and 1-hit ko it without needing an air unit, tower or submarine of there own to see it.

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
Thank you for your reply! It covered pretty much all of my questions.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
massing ogres is generally the most efficient use of res with other units being used strategically in specific situations. humans are still played though, some people like dugs play them habitually. (dugs had a great replay one time where he used excessive amounts of boomdwarves, the thread is still there but the video is gone now ;c) I like to go random race which ends up being human some disproportionately large amount of the time, it's fun! but works best in casual matches when your ally/ies won't get mad that you lost the game by being a crappy human player.

There are also early game non-ogre-involving teks like rushing, offensive towering & sieging which is a level playing field for either race, it's possible that way to either end the game fast or significantly stall the progress to ogres. human ballistas (important in sieging & defense) do have a handicap though because a graphics bug can make them misfire

Here are some nice human replays

Dugs twitch highlights - https://www.twitch.tv/dugsw2/videos/all
2v2 humans only tourney - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxMYE5H6_03Iw7dEfYlYHfoCAUmwRO8oZ (scroll down a little)
1v1 human vs orc -
(best line in this replay: "comrades" because they're red, obviously...)
I have a few at my twitch too but I'm a pretty unimpressive player - https://www.twitch.tv/mousetopher/videos/all
squeak!

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »
MousEtopher, that youtube link you posted was insane. "Comrades" really did a great job there!

Your videos are also great. I just watched https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125414449 and I've got to say this is awesome. Especially the "battle of the four armies" at 6:30. You even pulled some maneuvers there! It was a pleasure to watch, really. Thanks for sharing.

Your uploads also reminded me how I missed the Warcraft music and unit sounds over the years. Gotta fix my game up!

And thank you for your explanation on the strategies, I appreciate that.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
 :o very close game!

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
Well everything was covered before me 😊 but I want to say that you will find a water map hosted everyday!