Author Topic: new players?  (Read 20561 times)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
Re: new players?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »

Quote from: eyyy im walkin here on Today at 10:17:48 AM

it's basically a tip off that you're new.

To put it bluntly, I don't care. If playing as orcs (against my will) is required to "git gud" - I have no intention of gitting gud. After a couple of games today I completely realized that competitive games aren't for me, so I'll just hang around and play with my friends when they're available.

Quote from: easycompany on Today at 10:41:34 AM

poscow wasnt letting viruz win

Viruz won Poscow, didn't he?

Quote from: easycompany

wow, i cant believe it he joined nedro.a good player that will let you play!gj!

Yes, I played with someone today. Probably a waste of time for that player :)
P.S. - the fact that letting a random player join a game makes you "good" is the reason I probably won't ever play this game competitively.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:04:52 PM by dwarfighter »

yes viruz won but it was so close at alot of times.

yes they some nice dudes on the server...im back from a 1vs1 i got demolished lol.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
To put it bluntly, I don't care. If playing as orcs (against my will) is required to "git gud" - I have no intention of gitting gud.
Why is it against your will though?  Why do you care?  Grunt = Footman.  Knight = Ogre.  So why the attachment to the shitty race that doesn't have bloodlust?  It says you don't care about properly playing the game as much as you care about pretending to be a human battling the orcish horde or something which is funny

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
I don't need to explain that, but I will. "Properly playing the game"? Are you serious? Yes, you probably are. I don't care about playing "properly", this game isn't chess for me (though even chess has some values other than simply winning, otherwise there wouldn't be any sense in playing it). I play it because it has certain aesthetic values for me, and I just want to play with my IRL friends who share those values. For you, it does not matter because "Grunt = Footman" and you clearly limit your perception of the game to that. For me, this "shitty race" is the only race that I enjoy playing because I like how it looks and feels. Period.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:21:56 PM by dwarfighter »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
lots of good players enjoy humans. a couple play them/have played them in the past exclusively. it's just a different style. Orcs probably do have an advantage due to bloodlust, but i dont believe it's as large of an advantage as some like to pretend. to be a good human player, you need to develop an unconventional style. The style alone is enough to throw some players off their game... and when you throw the human's blizzard with invisible mages into the mix .. humans are pretty powerful in the hands of the right person.  proof is in the viruz/poscow game. that game was 35 minutes long. the players were very evenly matched. they went back and forth all game. orcs vs humans. it says something about just how balanced the races are.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »

Viruz, shotgun, and poscow are all pretty evenly matched.. viruz just knows how to play humans.

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
I agree. If we're talking about pro games, humans are balanced just fine - it just takes some actual brainpower to understand how to use their abilities and not rely on lust alone.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
lol that last video!!  :'( 10/10!! on the production.

im humans also,some just wont understand.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:07:21 PM by easycompany »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
i watched the viruz vs poscow replay earlier today, great 35 minute game, viruz wins with humans.  it wouldve been over in 12 if he was orc.  viruz playing human = one of the best players of all time challenging himself

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »
Tell me, are you paid for wins?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »
you need to be paid to not want to be a loser?

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
Alright, that's enough. Let us end this pointless conversation.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »
okay, fine, but to other new people, if you want good players to let you play in their games and include you so you can learn and get better, please repay the courtesy by doing the easiest possible thing and selecting the proper race.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
To put it bluntly, I don't care. If playing as orcs (against my will) is required to "git gud" - I have no intention of gitting gud.
Why is it against your will though?  Why do you care?  Grunt = Footman.  Knight = Ogre.  So why the attachment to the shitty race that doesn't have bloodlust?  It says you don't care about properly playing the game as much as you care about pretending to be a human battling the orcish horde or something which is funny
it seems silly to say playing as human is "improper" as if your personal motivation of achieving absolute efficiency/competitive mastery is the only one that's valid. I agree with tk, they require a different a style of gameplay which is more nuanced & difficult to pull off but the variety & challenge of playing as them can be very fun & interesting. there are many gaming situations when it's not an absolute even match and thus the disadvantage of no bloodlust is the deciding factor. and there are people like dugs who play them a lot and aren't new, and I don't think they do it as a gimmick. incidentally, I've been human several times in multiplayer gow matches with random primarily gow players & never gotten bitched out for it, which is interesting.     

also: the advice to new players to play as orc for the lust advantage is basically moot since they won't tend to live long enough to get to lust or know how to use it effectively if they do. it's useful for intermediate players though when they have basics but are still too weak on strategy to use humans well.

squeak!

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
for new people, imo it's just being decent in return to people letting you play for you to pick the better race, so if it gets to that stage you can help with lust.  i always let newbs play in my games but sometimes ill ban them if they insist on being humans.  come on, at least meet me halfway.  the point isnt reaching some "peak efficiency," it's being able to cast bloodlust if the time comes so you can help your allies who all want to win.  and the biggest thing is if they refuse to go orc it says to me theyre not willing to even make an effort to get better or listen to instruction.  heres me saying, hey orcs are better go orc, and heres in my game some big newbie who gets banned from all the other games and doesnt really know how to play, and theyre like "nah i like the strong voices of the footmen."  i wont spend my time trying to help someone like that because they have no interest in learning the game if theyre not willing to listen to the simplest possible thing from someone who is experienced
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:11:48 PM by eyyy im walkin here »

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 02:53:01 AM »
And that's exactly why I won't be playing competitive. Like, never. But I got your point, and if I was that keen on playing with you - I'd choose orcs all the time just because you say they are so OP. Even though there's clear evidence to suggest they are not. Do you have healing to save resources on ogres? No, you do not. Do you have invisibility to harass enemy camps? No, you do not. Do you have polymorph to incapaciate enemy units for good? No, you do not. Do you have...  nevermind. You only have lust, which you use all the time. You also have Runes and DKs with Unholy Armor and D&D, but I'd appreciate it if someone showed me an actual recording of someone using those effectively (in multiplayer. I've seen DKs wreck townhall-stationed armies of computer opponents, but that does not count).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:02:05 AM by dwarfighter »