Author Topic: new players?  (Read 20345 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: new players?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I can help you attempt the port forwarding, just download Anydesk http://anydesk.com and hit me up @ discord whenever :>
squeak!

Offline Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
Try watching first-person vods on Youtube so you can get a feel for build orders, resource management and know maps better.
Also you could try to 1vs1 ~ 1vs7 computers on GOW (Garden of war) for practice when there aren't any games.
Here is one FPVOD of a very good humans player. I watched this plenty of times while I was trying to learn!

Also here is a good YT channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDIc5r6iyPHmilgcydqnRuQ

Also check out this website:
http://server.war2.ru/status/
It shows who is online and what games are being played. You can save yourself from waiting for games when there aren't any being played!

Being a newbie isn't easy, but if you really like the WC2, you will soon get good enough to play/observe in most games!

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
Lone, do you still have that warvid of you vs Paperboy where you were humans and did that 12/2 counter dual? that was a pretty sweet game that should be reuploaded.

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 02:06:24 AM »
Mousey, do you use teamviewer?

Thank you for the links, Lone. Cool stuff.

Offline ibrockinsteve

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 04:05:45 AM »
dwarf, don't bother. Unless you have some specific reason to play this game, it's not worth having to avoid the "pros". It seems as if they have dedicated their life to warcraft 2, and in their mind it is on the same level as football. Asking you about s9 is a very rude thing to do and is no way to grow a community.

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 04:38:04 AM »
ibrockinsteve, what's s9? Sorry, I might be missing something.

You're right, I certainly do not have the means to become a pro right now. I liked the small part of this community I managed to get into, so I'll probably learn a thing or two just by hanging around -- but for now I'll definitely settle for casual games with my friends and online acquaintances. It is only right, in my opinion, that we should try and create an opening for "light" players.

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 04:46:35 AM »
what's s9?

It's a common question asked in gow games to people suspected of being noobs. They simply say something like "Dwarf s9?" and if you don't answer quick enough you get booted/banned from the persons game.

s9 is a location on the map west of the middle, with a gold mine containing 30000 gold. The answer to this question is simply '30k' when you are asked. 

People often move to s9 when they spawn at the bottom left location (8 for short).

It will take alot of patience to get used to this community, and it will be very time consuming since you will need to watch ALOT of games first just so you can learn your basic build orders, your building placements  (On the exact square for wall-in and chokepoint purposes)

If someone decides to ally you knowing you are a noob in a 2v2 against 2 people who aren't noobs, then the best you can do until you get better is probably give your ally a bunch of guard towers so they can't get 2v1'd straight away (Which they will go for him first 80% of the time , since they know you are no threat, which is why alot of people complain about stacked teams)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:14:38 AM by Winchester »

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
I see. Well, that's a nice way of filtering newbies - but I think you just broke the first rule of s9 :)

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »
Alot of people  see the question get answered by someone else and copy them anyway, which is why the next noob filter question comes into play sometimes, which is "11?"

The answer to that is 65k by the way. its how much gold is inside the top left mine on garden of war.

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »
That's what you would call "security through obscurity" - the sheer amount of passwords makes you question the value of the prize  ^-^

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Ripe is a white supremacist who also believes anyone not from his country, state, or city is inferior.

I'm pretty sure he struggles with the fact that he is a homosexual as well.

none of that is meant to be funny. that's what i believe to be true.

so.. pay him no mind.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
I have some training videos for Garden of War map .. on even faster speed.. you see me playing from my point of view and i give audio commentary as im going explaining as best i can what im doing and why im doing it. most newer players who watch them claim they have helped to a degree

http://www.youtube.com/user/ClanAbsoluteSynergy/videos

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Regarding orcs - I'm really not sure I'll get to that point. I mostly play humans and that's not going to change because I'd win more in pro matches if I went orc. I'd just stay on the level I'm comfortable at. Besides, I've seen people play humans and out-produce the enemy, and it made me think that perhaps humans are just misunderstood by the majority. Sure, ogre strikeforces are great. But healing (as a means of saving money on knights) and blizzard (as a means of crippling enemy mining) seem like decent powers if applied correctly.
The races are 99.9% the same, except that all else equal bloodlust will always allow orcs to completely wreck humans.  There's no real reason to stubbornly play human and unless it's a known pro doing it as a gimmick it's basically a tip off that you're new.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
wow, i cant believe it he joined nedro.a good player that will let you play!gj!

am i the only one who still thinks humans are better? poscow wasnt letting viruz win...and i used to watch falkentyne and people talk in kali he had some dudes whinning.
(of course these are extremely great players!)

now if i can find some korean to play for me! ;D

yes man just go have fun and do the competitive scene when your ready or if you want to..it wont take to long to be a steady good enuff player for most games.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:14:36 AM by easycompany »

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
it's basically a tip off that you're new.
To put it bluntly, I don't care. If playing as orcs (against my will) is required to "git gud" - I have no intention of gitting gud. After a couple of games today I completely realized that competitive games aren't for me, so I'll just hang around and play with my friends when they're available.

poscow wasnt letting viruz win
Viruz won Poscow, didn't he?

Quote from: easycompany
wow, i cant believe it he joined nedro.a good player that will let you play!gj!
Yes, I played with someone today. Probably a waste of time for that player :)
P.S. - the fact that letting a random player join a game makes you "good" is the reason I probably won't ever play this game competitively.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:04:52 PM by dwarfighter »