Author Topic: new players?  (Read 20352 times)

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: new players?
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
Around 20 years ago, I played war2 at a thing called Kali! It is the forgotten age of competitive war 2 before Battle net exist!

At that time I would only play: Random as a race option.
Also I have to note that you could alter the speed of the game while playing by pressing -/+.

Slow IS MUCH MORE POWERFULL THAN LUST if you can micro and do it.
If you do not believe me just try it! 2 slowed lusted ogres die from 1 knight if you hit/run.

And yes at those golden ages that was a strategy that was used a lot!
I still do it at Water maps on EF. My micro sucks right now but you can see examples at this replay:

And I think everyone will agree that YWFN is a much much better player than me, but my Mage/Knight combo gave him a hard time at that game!

So I dare anyone to play a game at Fast speed with their opponent to be a decent micro user and have slow... Even at gow seeing your ogres frozen while the lust duration ends and the knights roaming freely! Is devastating!

Now, how many players can actually perform that? I guess only the tier 1 and masters. And yes it requires more micro and effort than lusting.
But that doesn't change the fact that there are viable strategies with Humans!

So dwarffighter!!! Goo learn how to use Humans and do Competitive gaming! Maybe you have it inside you to reach 400apm and divine micro ;-).

There are also other benefits on playing humans. Like exorcism! You can actually see the potential of exorcism if you play vs comps. Your DKs might never manage to be used (unless you have already significantly pressured the cpu).

Of course if you ask me about GoW EF. Yes there lust is what you need. You must pack a big transition gun especially for 1s.
If you are doing 4s though having 1 human player at a team might actually work even better. You know that lust can be casted to knights too ;-)

Go Humans!!!! If only I had the apm :-/.

Cheerios

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
It's a lot easier to lust your own fighting units than to use a more vulnerable unit to slow your enemies ogres is the problem.  Of course if you adjusted the speed well down there'd be more time for it, but in the settings people traditionally play (EF, Gow) it's a different story.  When I say humans are unambiguously worse than orcs I don't mean in every possible setting that could exist, I mean in the settings that most often do. :)

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »
It's a lot easier to lust your own fighting units than to use a more vulnerable unit to slow your enemies ogres is the problem.  Of course if you adjusted the speed well down there'd be more time for it, but in the settings people traditionally play (EF, Gow) it's a different story.  When I say humans are unambiguously worse than orcs I don't mean in every possible setting that could exist, I mean in the settings that most often do. :)
Yes at those times we could alter the speed :-P orc players usually kept pressing the + while human players the - lol
It was like a speed war :-D
In the end you only needed a few seconds of slowest speed and 4 mages to have slowed 9 ogres. :-D

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
I remember that hehe

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
Blid is correct.
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Swift Says™

this is missing my point which is that a new player that wont select the superior race isnt someone who is going to listen to anything i tell them or make any effort to cooperate and learn
that's fair, but could be gauged just as well by talking to them & seeing how responsive they are. either way, the likelihood of any new player being able to cooperate or respond to orders is super low, there's just too much going on for them to keep up. think of the newbs like our children blid, the point in letting them play is so they can experience & discover the game freely, at their own pace. I disagree with attempts to mold them even before they've taken their first step!

When I say humans are unambiguously worse than orcs I don't mean in every possible setting that could exist, I mean in the settings that most often do.
which is a big shame in and of itself!

great post from Igog btw :)
squeak!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
on sea i most def think humans are better.

lol igo

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2017, 04:22:30 AM »
i honestly wouldnt feel comfortable saying orcs are better than humans.
what an idiot. no wonder i always beat you at the only map you play while playing that map once a year

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
anyway dwarfighter, you seem to have visual issues with orcs and it may impact your entire war2 experience. Perhaps you should consider asking some IT savvy to edit war2dat.mpq file for you so humans looks like orcs and orcs look like humans (be it units or buildings). then you could have nice paladins enjoying bloodlust spell

Offline Incos

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
Lol at claw. I thought about doing that but then humans op
https://www.twitch.tv/incoswc - my twitch. Streaming 9:30pm - 11pm est most days!!

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
yeah my creativity ended at setting polish players face as graphic for peon and renaming it "nigger" or something

Offline SirClef

• Peon
  • hi i'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
The community so far has been uninterested in playing with a "noob"

After reading your comments, I suggest that you stay away from the "Garden of War" scene. Most players who play there are super specialized, know the map from memory, and only use one of a handful of optimal strategies, so obviously a new guy won't have a chance.

Some of us prefer to play water maps, where you'll see that a newer player has more time to set up a base etc. before being attacked; it also allows you to use some of the skills you learned during the singleplayer campaign that are never used in gow (such as managing oil, using transports and sea combat). Finally, in water maps humans are not in the same magnitude of disadvantage because they get more chances to use their magic (invisible transports, exorcism hit and run etc.)

I think at least twice a week some of us play a handful of 4 vs 4 on High Seas Combat, Fierce Ocean Combat, Ocean Bloom or similar maps

If you leave an email or something maybe I can contact you next time I play
See you on the server

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
^^ that is true
war2 > war3

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Claw, ha-ha. No. I don't have visual issues with anything. The game is a graphical masterpiece from top to bottom - coming from a guy who is no stranger to visual arts. I just prefer playing as humans, that's all. I think it's a legacy my father unknowingly left me, because he wouldn't play orcs in WC1 due to their weird visuals, different magic and shorter archer attack range - and I watched him play for hours instead of doing my homework.

SirClef, that is a great idea, I'd love to play water maps. Thank you. I believe you can email me through the forums - feel free to do that whenever you like. I'm also available on our Discord channel (https://discordapp.com/channels/184726412438142976), so if that works for you - great.