Author Topic: Updated Chop Farms map  (Read 3356 times)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Updated Chop Farms map
« on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
I made som changes to the default Chop Farms map.

- There is walls around every players farms (before it didn't fit)
- Even if you destroy walls you can't pass, "invisible walls". You can get around by chopping one wood though. This can't be removed because it would affect regular game play to much.
- More lumber in bank from start.
- Renamed the nap to [year] and a "+" for every new major version. To avoid map dis conflicts.
- In the latest update i moved position of four mines. Mine at 12 and 1 are moved closer to middle and slightly to the left. Mines at 6 and 7 are moved in the same way, but to slightly to the right.

The main reason for moving the mines is to make it possible to mine in all positions with "power mining", with no awkward spaces in you'r build placements. I think now it is also more balanced in how much time it takes to chop and build a power mine hall between all spawns. One down side I found is that 12 and 6 gets little bit tight if you build hall facing the wrong way. But i think it is just because you're not used to the new layout. When people get to play it they will find ways to place the buildings in good positions.

I would like to make a complete mirrored chop farms version, where every spawn only gets one mine and the mine is in the corner. After working with the map for a while I start to question the layout more and more of the default chop map. I don't know if that big of a change would be bad for the gameplay, but I'm having a hard time to understand why it wouldn't be a good thing. I will make the completely new map layout so players can compare and say what they think is good and not.

I will make a new reply to this post with screenshots to show the different layouts. Anyone knows a good program to save good screenshots of maps? Not just the thumbnail of the map viewer...

Be aware that some features will stop working if you open the map and saves it in the regular map editor.

*Edit I found happened to upload wrong version somehow* i remove this one and upload the new soon... T_T OK now the correct version is attached. Someone dl'ed the wrong one, please remove it... zzz
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:50:53 AM by eleison »

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Updated Chop Farms map
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
This is an example layout of the new map.

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
Is all that space open in each starting location from the start?  If so, I don't like it.  It's like that other version of chop where it's 4 on top vs 4 on bottom and the only thing to do is go dragons.

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
Is all that space open in each starting location from the start?  If so, I don't like it.  It's like that other version of chop where it's 4 on top vs 4 on bottom and the only thing to do is go dragons.

Nah, the layout is like normal, same space, one peon, farms etc. This was just an example to show power mining capabilities. Good point though! :)

Offline 8)MikulZ(8

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
This looks good to me just have to test it in game to get a better feel of it. I like the "invisible walls", anything that slows down exploiting open farm space is a plus!

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
yep if nothings fucked there (such as normal wall interactions), the map is gud

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
yep if nothings fucked there (such as normal wall interactions), the map is gud

Thanks for the support, i'm hosting it and so far no complaints really. Lets see if other hosts picks it up...

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
This looks good to me just have to test it in game to get a better feel of it. I like the "invisible walls", anything that slows down exploiting open farm space is a plus!

Cool you like it :)