Updated Chop Farms map
« on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
I made som changes to the default Chop Farms map.
- There is walls around every players farms (before it didn't fit)
- Even if you destroy walls you can't pass, "invisible walls". You can get around by chopping one wood though. This can't be removed because it would affect regular game play to much.
- More lumber in bank from start.
- Renamed the nap to [year] and a "+" for every new major version. To avoid map dis conflicts.
- In the latest update i moved position of four mines. Mine at 12 and 1 are moved closer to middle and slightly to the left. Mines at 6 and 7 are moved in the same way, but to slightly to the right.
The main reason for moving the mines is to make it possible to mine in all positions with "power mining", with no awkward spaces in you'r build placements. I think now it is also more balanced in how much time it takes to chop and build a power mine hall between all spawns. One down side I found is that 12 and 6 gets little bit tight if you build hall facing the wrong way. But i think it is just because you're not used to the new layout. When people get to play it they will find ways to place the buildings in good positions.
I would like to make a complete mirrored chop farms version, where every spawn only gets one mine and the mine is in the corner. After working with the map for a while I start to question the layout more and more of the default chop map. I don't know if that big of a change would be bad for the gameplay, but I'm having a hard time to understand why it wouldn't be a good thing. I will make the completely new map layout so players can compare and say what they think is good and not.
I will make a new reply to this post with screenshots to show the different layouts. Anyone knows a good program to save good screenshots of maps? Not just the thumbnail of the map viewer...
Be aware that some features will stop working if you open the map and saves it in the regular map editor.
*Edit I found happened to upload wrong version somehow* i remove this one and upload the new soon... T_T OK now the correct version is attached. Someone dl'ed the wrong one, please remove it... zzz