War2.ru Slogan
News: The new antihack is here! Upgrade to War2Combat 4.0
today (it will eventually be mandatory for playing!)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you here! :) You can register your account here, then feel free to introduce yourself in the Server.War2.ru board & let us know who you are on the server.

Poll

How much time should be given to re-create classic GOW map for competition?

20 minutes
30 minutes
45 minutes
60 minutes
75 minutes
90 minutes
Other, please specify.
10 minutes

Idea: First Ever GOW CLASSIC Competition of Its Kind (For Streamers Only) 281  10

Grunt Posts: 117 Karma: +7/-0 ***

BabyShark

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Idea: First Ever GOW CLASSIC Competition of Its Kind (For Streamers Only)
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
 :peon:
I propose a new kind of competition. I think it's such a fun idea that I'll gladly donate a cash prize myself.

Here it is!!!

The competiton would be a timed map re-creation using map editor of old classic GOW. All participants would have to stream the entire process from start to posting on the forum to provide proof they are recreating the map from memory and not referring to existing map in map editor. A time of 30-60 minutes seems reasonable, but amount of time permitted could be voted on.

The winning map re-creation would also be determined by forum vote.

Update:

The first ever GOW CLASSIC MAP RECREATION COMPETITION submission deadline will be 8 pm on June 25th, the same day as XuRnT's big Human/Orc vs Human/Orc tournament. You will have a 20 minute time limit to recreate, from memory, as best you can, the Garden of War.pud classic map in Map Editor.

The entire process must be streamed for the viewing pleasure of everyone and for proof that the map is being recreated from memory.

It is recommended that you use a timer/stopwatch so that you get auditory signals perhaps after 5, 10, and 15 minutes to indicate how much time you have remaining as the 20-minute time limit will be firmly adhered to. Google has a timer you can use for this purpose if you don't have any other, but it's probably preferable to have one next to you that you can check to see how much time you have left so the cut off doesn't come abruptly and unexpectedly, giving you time to put the finishing touches on your masterpiece.

Entries must be submitted exactly by the deadline. Entries submitted 1 minute+ after the deadline will be disqualified. Please allow yourself adequate time for getting the map submitted online (ie. don't work on the map until 7:59 as you probably will not have enough time to transfer it electronically by the deadline - give yourself lots of time so your wonderful work of art will be a valid entry).

The map recreations will be posted on a new forum poll so that users can vote for their favorite. The posting process may take some time before voting opens. I would prefer to post the map creations "blind" so that the creator isn't announced with it so that people are voting for the map and not just for their favorite players. Of course, since it is being streamed, it will be possible to solve the mystery of who did which map by watching twitch, but I still would try to refrain from blatantly announcing the creator for the forum voting.

If you are interested in this competition but need help either setting up your stream or getting started with map editor, be sure to ask for help. There are a number of helpful, well-informed, tech-savvy people in the community here who generously and kindly help other users with various computer/server/internet/war2 accessory issues they may have. Mousetopher (mousey) is my personal computer hero and I trust that she will take care of all your W2 related computer issues.

I wanted to do a Pizza Hut e-gift card for 2 large pizzas for a prize that can be emailed to the winner, but since we have a number of internationals, and I have no idea if they have Pizza Hut in other countries, it might be more complicated than necessary. For some reason, a pizza gift card seems more exciting to me than a plain regular money prize, but plain regular might be the way to go to keep it simple.

Please feel free to add comments or ask questions or clarify any obscurities.

I think this will be a lot of fun and I invite all of you to show off your super-fast-map-creation skills or lack thereof and enter the contest!!

Axe Thrower Posts: 275 Karma: +33/-2 ****

Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: First Ever GOW CLASSIC Competition of Its Kind (For Streamers Only)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
No where to specify when you select Other.  I wanted to submit 10 mins.  The more rushed the more fun!
Sappers Posts: 764 Karma: +84/-13 ******

XuRnT

• Sappers
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
I will join sounds fun.
"The Architect" Global Moderator Death Knight Posts: 3981 Karma: +145/-110 *****

eyyy im walkin here

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
No where to specify when you select Other.  I wanted to submit 10 mins.  The more rushed the more fun!
yeah I voted 20 minutes!  Spenidng longer than that would get boring
Peon Posts: 16 Karma: +4/-0 **

Disgruntled

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »
At least give us an hour or six... This is a sweet idea
Sappers Posts: 764 Karma: +84/-13 ******

XuRnT

• Sappers
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
At least give us an hour or six... This is a sweet idea

I agree with Player/Blid, making it rushed is the fun part when you get to look at how bad they are afterwards.

BabyShark

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Another factor that needs to be decided is whether it should be similar to the map creation competition for the water maps where there's a submission deadline or whether it should be a set date "live" contest at a specific time.

I'm leaning towards submission deadline to maximize ability of those interested to participate.

As someone who has actually made maps, I know that even to try to recreate NWTR, which is a tiny square map with 4 gold mines and a cross-shape of trees, it could easily take an hour to try to replicate the tree line exactly.

I'm starting to think of having 2 categories to enter, a one-hour or more category and a 10 or 20 minute category, with people being allowed to enter in both. It would be permissible for users who enter in both to use their 10/20 minute creation as a starting point for the longer time, and just subtract the short time from the longer time. They could also start fresh and have the full time if desired.

Does June 10th midnight sound like a suitable deadline date or is it better to put it farther away like into later July?

I wonder if I can add another poll.

BabyShark

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
The time limit will be 20 minutes and the submission deadline will be June 25th, 2017 at 8 pm EST. Please refer to thread-opening-post for more information.

I do plan to enter the competition myself as well and I personally think I will be pretty hard to beat since I'm a pro map maker and have many legendary maps to my name like swampfight.pud and brbdrink.pud. Come prove me wrong!

BabyShark

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:20:20 AM »
With the deadline approaching in a few days, I wanted to clarify something about this map re-creation fun competition.

I've been having some people try to submit entries of brand new maps they made, so I'm going to reiterate that this is specifically a Garden of War re-creation contest, where entrants will, with a strict time limit of 20 minutes start to finish, from memory and on stream, re-create the Garden of War (aka GOW) classic pud. Once the entries are submitted, the maps will be posted on forum so everyone can vote for their favorite.

Stream video of the creation process is required to enter to show that you are creating from memory and within the time limit, as well as for the pleasure of interested viewers who want to laugh at your efforts. :) Or perhaps stand in awe of them if you're some crazy cartographical prodigy.

Deadline is 8 pm Eastern Daylight Time, Sunday June 25th. Please submit by private message on forum and include the .pud of your creation and the link to your twitch or youtube vid. I will rename all maps by a name so the creator is unknown until after the voting, for which a 3-day span seems reasonable.

Prize is $25 USD for winner. And yes, I'm planning to enter myself and win my own prize. I love prizes.
Peon Posts: 49 Karma: +3/-0 **

eleison

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:15:13 PM »
It would be very easy to cheat, normally you just stream from one monitor... Anyways gl and hf everyone participating! :)

BabyShark

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:43:23 PM »
Yes, I realize that it would be very easy to cheat, but none of these lovely W2 players would ever do that so it's a non-issue. :)

Haven't you noticed how sweet everyone is to each other?