Author Topic: Concerning the most recent edition of War2Combat...  (Read 6045 times)

Offline ThaJakester

• Critter
    • View Profile
Concerning the most recent edition of War2Combat...
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
• Large post incoming! Please bear with me, lol ^^’ Hopefully this is the proper place to post all of this.

• Nooby question! From my understanding, the Warcraft II Combat Edition was an old project from 2006 that was initially developed to both support online play and cut the game’s file size down as a means to become more portable. This leads me to ponder on something, however...In this modern day in age, file sizes are not as problematic anymore since both hard drives and USB flash drives hold much, much more space than they used to hold in the past.

• With that in mind, IMHO, it is unfortunate that the most recent version of Combat Edition still opts to cut down the game's file size as much as possible by removing both the game's music and the audio during the campaign’s dialogue sequences. Thankfully, at least with the 2015 release of Combat Edition, the campaign was finally added back in as well as the extra, funny unit voices. Yet still, while it’s cool that the campaign was brought back, IMHO, it seems kind of pointless to me since it lacks the iconic music and audio from the pre-mission dialogue sequences. I may as well just hunt down the original Battle Net edition of the game to play the campaign. Doing that, however, means that I have to have 2 different Warcraft II programs installed on my computer, and that is just inconvenient and missed potential...

• I don't mean to sound pessimistic. I absolutely LOVE what the devs have brought to us through all of their work toward creating and updating the combat edition throughout the years. This issue has only just become especially prevalent to me recently since only a few months ago Blizzard released StarCraft: Brood War for free with an awesome patch that allows the game to run better on modern computers. All while running from one program, the convenience of being able to play the campaign in Brood War while also being able to login to Blizzard’s multiplayer server is wonderful!

• Is there a definitive version of Warcraft II that contains the full game as well as the war2, online, multiplayer server? Perhaps I could have simply not seen such a build floating around the internet?

• I have heard from somebody recently that the Warcraft II Combat Edition is no longer being updated sadly. Further updates could potentially fix the issues that I stated above as well as make more progress in fixing the graphical errors that are brought forth by the newer versions of Windows. This is unfortunate, IMHO, since Brood War has released for free with a patch that makes it the best version of the game to play to date. I feel like Brood War has been rising in popularity recently because of this. This popularity could potentially transfer over into the Warcraft II community! Thus, again, it's a shame that there are no more updates for the Warcraft II Combat Edition because it would be super beneficial if a version of the game would release that included all of the game's original assets, the custom War2 server, community patches, and had full compatibility with windows 7-10. If all of this was available in a one package download, I feel like that would be a really good thing for the Warcraft II community!

• Because a one package download does not exist, I have been trying to search around for a way to get the music working in the Combat Edition myself. I actually read somewhere else on a forum and also on the Warcraft II Server discord that I just need to copy the install.exe file over from the battlenet edition to the war2combat file directory...However, when I do this, I can no longer get War2Combat to run at all as I receive an error message when I attempt to boot it claiming that I must have the Warcraft II CD in the drive :/ This is pretty strange considering that I can run Battlenet Edition fine WITHOUT a CD, so, I don't really understand why that copying its install file over to the Combat Edition makes Combat Edition suddenly require a CD. Very strange…

• I tried 2 different computers and came up with the same result, the same no CD in drive error message ;-; Any assistance or input on everything that I stated here would be super appreciative♥! ^. ^’ Thanks for the read my dudes!

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning the most recent edition of War2Combat...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
There is a program on the downloads section I believe to get the war2music added to your War2Combat. it sounds only a little different then the original but it's still the same soundtracks essentially. Mousey or Blid will probably give you the link when they read this

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
Did you run the no cd.reg? Installing bnet war2 might of changed the registry back.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
brood war got more popular than w2, that was X years ago and now(look korea), they got $$ cash tours, if w2 got probably we would got more players, look at w3, pros like grubby, moon etc still sometimes playing cause there is $$ ( and this is not 400$ per tour but 40000$)
w2 hadnt ever official tour for example WCG, when it could be  in 2003 when w3 just came out

http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
For me the main thing I want to see is the windows 8/10 ddraw files being added to new combats or option to click them when installing. I think we probably have a nice chunk of people automatically turned away when they load up the screen and its all jumbled and may miss out on seeing this separate download.

Other then that I look forward to A LOT more maps being added to a new combat edition, plus maybe even getting some new ones added to the ladder.war2.ru if possible.

brood war got more popular than w2, that was X years ago and now(look korea), they got $$ cash tours, if w2 got probably we would got more players, look at w3, pros like grubby, moon etc still sometimes playing cause there is $$ ( and this is not 400$ per tour but 40000$)
w2 hadnt ever official tour for example WCG, when it could be  in 2003 when w3 just came out

Who knows what may happen. With them working on remaster of starcraft maybe it will eventually happen to warcraft 2 and could be a population explosion, and big $$ esport tournaments. Our big time war2 players on .RU will def. have a advantage with practicing all these years if it does happen.

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »
Is the newest version of combat still compatible with warvid? Every time I try to run in on win 10 it says war2 not found =O...
I figured it would be a good habit to keep it running, then post the most interesting games to youtube to spur interest in the game. I haven't
had the time yet to figure out how to make this work but it would be important for the community if interesting and creative players could do this shit
like Dugz. We don't need turtling cook book lusters to portray war2 in a tedious light^^

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:10:29 AM »
@Paper_Boy have you tried setting up streaming it would be a lot easier + better quality

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
sory xurnt i dont belive  :-\
since blizz said they will not remake w2 like sc
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
If the starcraft one is very succesful they could always change their minds.

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »
Last i checked streaming recordings only last 30 days, then its gone forever =O.... I won't be active enough
to replenish the feed

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »
At least on twitch you can highlight your videos to last forever (same as what you were saying about warvideo, getting your best ones) and export it straight to a youtube account if you link them. Also you can stream it straight from your youtube as well and all of your games will already be there. Or you can record your games even when your not streaming with the OBS program by pressing a hotkey before each match, and ending the video after each match ends, then you could have a file already ready to upload as well without having to convert (warvideo dk2 or w/e files have to be re-recorded over and saved as different files before going to youtube)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:27:16 AM by XuRnT »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
^ yeah this is all good info! Highlighting @ twitch is the best since it lets you select segments of any past broadcasts so you can save the best individual games rather than full streams including all waiting/blathering in between the games. streaming to twitch then highlighting/sending straight to youtube is the best way and > warvid because it has sound too!

Is the newest version of combat still compatible with warvid? Every time I try to run in on win 10 it says war2 not found =O...
yeah. you can start warvid before starting war2, but you'll need to start war2 then tab before you do "start recording". insight is the same way.

For me the main thing I want to see is the windows 8/10 ddraw files being added to new combats or option to click them when installing. I think we probably have a nice chunk of people automatically turned away when they load up the screen and its all jumbled and may miss out on seeing this separate download.
I'd like this too, it's by far the most common problem people have. I know it's not fully tested in all environments but so far it's worked with 0 issues for like 95% of people i've told to use it. it'd be great to have a checkbox to enable it, then if it causes problems they can just reinstall without it.
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
@iL

Ever get the chance to see this topic?

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
I know it probably never going to happen. But i wish better support for observing games live and more hosting options would benefit the game a lot. And of course a better map pool! Which i will try continue work on my self :X

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
dudes war2bnet got took off the shelfs like in 2002? i remember finally going to go buy it and could not find it.

got sc1 new from walmart in 07.

"I can no longer get War2Combat to run at all as I receive an error message when I attempt to boot it claiming that I must have the Warcraft II CD in the drive :/ This is pretty strange considering that I can run Battlenet Edition fine WITHOUT a CD, so, I don't really understand why that copying its install file over to the Combat Edition makes Combat Edition suddenly require a CD. Very strange…"

u want winmpq to inject the files into ru's install.

" And of course a better map pool! Which i will try continue work on my self :X"
nice man! thegoodshepard has made some of the best sea maps i ever played.

-------------IL's midi to wav-------
blizzard has released the midi's so its free domain ..his program does a excellent job of beefing them up!

http://en.war2.ru/downloads/#Utilities
War2Music.exe

v1, 7.20 MB    An experimental program for adding music to War2Combat. This program will overwrite your install.exe and will not not restore it after uninstallation. You should reinstall combat if you want to remove the music.

"If the starcraft one is very succesful they could always change their minds."
yes its very possible they may put war2bnet in the blizz app,i dont see it i didnt even see sc1 making it..till i seen how obsessed SK is of it.

holy shit!! "starcraft1 south korea" and lok at images...this is what we need the world i see!! gone get drinks!

"brood war got more popular than w2, that was X years ago and now(look korea), they got $$ cash tours, if w2 got probably we would got more players, look at w3, pros like grubby, moon etc still sometimes playing cause there is $$ ( and this is not 400$ per tour but 40000$)
w2 hadnt ever official tour for example WCG, when it could be  in 2003 when w3 just came out"

war2 was most popular in its dos days..idk why blizz didnt push it more, they actually took it away and buried it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/01/31/pc-retroview-warcraft-ii  that was the last time it was in stores
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:19:57 PM by easycompany »