Author Topic: GOW Gold Flow Test...  (Read 1828 times)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
GOW Gold Flow Test...
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:46 AM »
For all you nerds i made this video T_T. HF

I used 12 peons for every mine. If you find anything interesting make a comment :)

Offline Sentinel1

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: GOW Gold Flow Test...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
Nice, thanks for taking the time to make this. 

Couple things I noticed..."Peon flow" barely matters, at least with this number of peons.  Sure there are times where that one ogre can make a difference but in general you're looking at clearing a mine less than five seconds earlier, outside of the obviously bad builds.

Also the lowest spot on 9.  People often build there when they think they're not in danger of 11 or s9 walling them in with one building, but for the benefit it provides (cleared 1 second earlier from standard positioning) still doesn't seem worth it, especially when its then more susceptible to towers from below.

And 4 cleared first by not chopping any trees...

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
Thanks, I just had to do it. :X Pushed it through >_>

Yeah, good observation. I think the gold flow matters though, if you look at the gold banked instead of the time, you see some mines is ahead 1000's, that might give you the possibility to upgrade hall faster etc. Some spots i chop some wood too, that wood gained is also a factor to take into consideration. Some mines are slower at start but gets good flow at the end, I would say good flow from the beginning should matter most. Also if you look at the peon flow, where the peons not bump into each others means the gold flow will be much better with more peons, than the one where they bump into each others.

I also noticed at 6 o'clock that putting the hall in the top most position gives faster gold flow. Shouldn't be bad? I think you even get more space to put protective towers.

Another important thing to take into consideration is how vulnerable the gold flow is for DK's... :)

Offline Ywfn

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
Taking these tests at face value, I tend to agree with Sentinel1.  While the amount of speed gained from best to worst might be significant, a lot of your worst case scenarios aren't realistic builds people are using.  I actually was surprised how close many of them are, particular building the wall at 5 vs not building it.

I think the most valuable thing to learn is which build requires the least maintenance controlling peons to keep the flow going.  Time lost managing peons is way more important than getting 500 extra gold over several minutes.

Offline WillTheRealKoorbStandUp

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
while a nice test you obviously put a lot of time into creating there is one huge flaw which means this is not accurate

Normally u put peon on gold 1 by 1 and the peons can get blocked going into the gold from a different direction to the flow depending where the hall is positioned to pop the freshly built peon.

For example at 12, i noticed if u dont miss a beat making and putting peons on gold, the first 6-7 will flow perfectly and not bump into each other, 6-7 go in all disappear then 6-7 pop out of the gold mine for a clean run back to the hall. If you miss this timing by making peons late so you dont have the rhythm flow, they start to bump into each some going into gold some returning outa sync which causes a bit of slow down in the flow

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
such good info here, gw.

also, some1 tell pb about this. i knew his huge noob hall @ 2 was slower!

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
while a nice test you obviously put a lot of time into creating there is one huge flaw which means this is not accurate

Normally u put peon on gold 1 by 1 and the peons can get blocked going into the gold from a different direction to the flow depending where the hall is positioned to pop the freshly built peon.

For example at 12, i noticed if u dont miss a beat making and putting peons on gold, the first 6-7 will flow perfectly and not bump into each other, 6-7 go in all disappear then 6-7 pop out of the gold mine for a clean run back to the hall. If you miss this timing by making peons late so you dont have the rhythm flow, they start to bump into each some going into gold some returning outa sync which causes a bit of slow down in the flow

I know its not perfect, but you can try your own method out and I believe your results will be very similar to this. The scenario you talking about where peons is perfectly timed is made by purpose, to show that it is possible to control the flow. In the same screen there is that hall placement twice, to show perfectly timed peons and not. More testing about this should be made... :)