Author Topic: AIM shutting down  (Read 3611 times)

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
AIM shutting down
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
AIM will shut down after 20 years

It’s a sad moment: AIM, AOL’s long-running instant messenger service that was core to many people’s first social experiences on the internet, will shut down once and for all on December 15th. AOL announced the shutdown today, acknowledging that people now communicate in new ways online, so AIM is no longer needed.

www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/16435690/aim-shutting-down-after-20-years-aol-instant-messenger

-------------

:'( my favorite place to message blid.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Re: AIM shutting down
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »
I think its been a good 15 years since I used aim.
war2 > war3

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:56:51 PM »
Was able to reach out and return alot of players to War2 through AIM even in the year 2006. We might not have made it through those first few years without it.

Pretty much a deadzone now though and the latest version they forced you to use sucked pretty bad imo so I guess it wont be too much of a loss.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »

8)

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:48 AM »
Not just AIM but having AOL in general I just remembered a funny story. My brother used my moms main account to make his able to control the parental settings and set like a 1 hour access time to mine so he could be logged in more. Well I ended up guesing his password after like 100 trys! It was skittles... I don't remember what tipped me off. I think the word was in his now wifes screen name.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:12:49 AM by XuRnT »

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
aim was cool, the forced upgrade to the new version was a bit annoying but it never stopped being a good messaging app, people just moved on.  i kind of wonder why they bother shutting it down, do you really think it would cost them anything significant to just leave around forever?

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
omg, it's the end of an era.

aim was cool, the forced upgrade to the new version was a bit annoying but it never stopped being a good messaging app, people just moved on.  i kind of wonder why they bother shutting it down, do you really think it would cost them anything significant to just leave around forever?

profit takes priority. you upgrading to discord??? (http://en.war2.ru/discord) hbu burton?
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
I did have the discord app and it was nice but my computer has a bug where when I turn it on it freezes (funny thread appropriate the wayI know if it works right away is if AIM pops up). Well then discord started getting stuck loading and comp was froze. I went into safe mode and uninstalled discord and its back to normal. Still get the occasional freeze but if I restart its fine.

I forget where do you go to change what loads at start up? I could download it again.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
damn that's weird. yeah you should download it again, it's great and the population @ the war2 discord is at an all time high right now! here's how you do it: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/211339918-How-do-I-disable-auto-start-on-launch- I don't run it on startup either
squeak!