Is celebrating Columbus day right or wrong

It's good to celebrate Columbus day.
1 (20%)
It's wrong to celebrate Columbus day.
3 (60%)
undecided
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Christopher Columbus and Columbus day  (Read 2971 times)

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Christopher Columbus and Columbus day
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Yesterday was Columbus day, around my city there was a big parade celebrating Christopher Columbus's discovery of America. While this parade was happening there was a protest against the celebration of Columbus day which was orchestrated by the Native American community.

This did leave me to think, should we all really be celebrating Columbus day? Cause when you think about it how could Columbus have discovered a country where there were already people living.   
war2 > war3

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Columbus and Columbus day
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
i never heard of columbus day until i was like 20

columbus day is obviously a celebration of colonialism and settlerism, so it's dumb.  i was surprised to learn it was an actual federal holiday.  i never got it off for school growing up and i still dont get off for that day

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »

columbus day is obviously a celebration of colonialism and settlerism, so it's dumb.  i was surprised to learn it was an actual federal holiday.  i never got it off for school growing up and i still dont get off for that day

LOL where did you grow up? I spent my whole childhood learning about how Columbus discovered America and I always got school off.
Wasn't until I hit my late teens that I realized the guy essentially walking into someone else's house and took over.

Right now there is a big debate in NYC about the big Columbus Statue in Columbus circle and whether it should be taken down. It's actually getting pretty heated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/protesters-call-columbus-day-removal-statue-article-1.3551324
war2 > war3

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
he was a genocidal and racist maniac of course amerikkka would celebrate him.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »

LOL where did you grow up? I spent my whole childhood learning about how Columbus discovered America and I always got school off.
Wasn't until I hit my late teens that I realized the guy essentially walking into someone else's house and took over.

Right now there is a big debate in NYC about the big Columbus Statue in Columbus circle and whether it should be taken down. It's actually getting pretty heated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/protesters-call-columbus-day-removal-statue-article-1.3551324

columbus, ohio

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »
war2 > war3

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
Amerigo Vespucci day here.columbus just went to the bahamas if that..cant even agree where the dude is buried.

But Amerigo mentioned working on one of his ships(as he was in the ship building business) so he may have existed.

yes he was just blown out of porportions cause the colonist needed a hero or some shit.

"Yesterday was Columbus day, around my city there was a big parade celebrating Christopher Columbus's discovery of America. While this parade was happening there was a protest against the celebration of Columbus day which was orchestrated by the Native American community."

oh hell  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:58:38 PM by easycompany »