Author Topic: Everyone On East Coast of USA high ping  (Read 9874 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone On East Coast of USA high ping
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
server ping does not matter when the game starts

poor excuse, son

This. how do people think that ping to server causes lag between players, after all these years

server ping does not matter when the game starts

poor excuse, son

then why was battle.net divided by region?

so that the players would have low pings to other players, who would be relatively nearby geographically

exactly. So is there a way to make a medium so when I play against alf-attack in sweden I don't have massive lag?

i like how you try to post dumb faces at people when you are clearly failing to comprehend basic simple stuff

after game launches, lag is determined solely between players
i suggested that people were pooled geographically on bnet because it put them together with nearby players, because lag in games is determined between players

being far from the server wont make you lag once in a game.  anyone thats looked at how war2 exchanges packets can confirm that for you, the server is not a part of the process once the game has launched!

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
are you idiot, mister jamon
I pinged myself while in a game, not while in channel. It also doesn't seem to matter when I play people in my geographic location, which suggests even though it's p2p, the server still has an impact. The only players i know from europe who lag are gleip and spb. And that's just because their ports are closed, literally no one else from europe has an issue. And when I play against sepi or alf, they aren't lagging. But I am. And for the last 2 years every single time an american player starts playing on the server, they quit shortly after because they have to forward their ports, and then they still lag. Not only that, but 80% of american players who started playing on lance's server, not only were their ports opened automatically, but no one was lagging. I don't have any real opinion on iL. I'm completely impartial when I say that he's done good work, but much more work needs to be done just to get the game functioning the way it's supposed to be. Never mind improving it. And it's common sense that one developer who works in his spare time and never has any, the game's management and development is at a sub-chronic halt. Why doesn't iL have people help him manage the server? And why would you have to forward port 6112 if the server doesn't handle the connection to your router in any sort of fashion? Is it not possible that the smallest minute detail or problem in this process could be causing problems? And i'm not jumping the gun to pointing a finger at the server. I've thought this problem was on my end for years. But after moving twice in a few months with three separate internet connections, carriers and qualities, and re-imaging my computer to an entirely different version of windows, with no hardware problems i think it's most likely on the program or server's end. I'm not sure which. I've also tried various versions of combat edition, including the current one, and ones i used when i didn't have this problem.
typing /ping, whenever you happen to do it, tells you your ping to the server im pretty sure, which doesnt matter at all once the game has started.  typing /ping [player] tells you your ping to another player which might, sometimes, matter somewhat.

lance introduced upnp to war2.us which would help auto-open ports for players.  war2.ru has upnp now too, though, and has for the last couple years!

hosting is an issue sometimes, but if you want to discuss it you should go back and read some of the previous discussions where it's been talked about so you can understand the problems better.  basically to completely solve the problem some sort of "hole-punching" process would be necessary and it would be a project for a programmer to change the way games are hosted and so on.  thats what tk gets mad about, that no one is hiring a programmer to do it, at least he knows what hes talking about when he rants

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
are you idiot, mister jamon
I pinged myself while in a game, not while in channel. It also doesn't seem to matter when I play people in my geographic location, which suggests even though it's p2p, the server still has an impact. The only players i know from europe who lag are gleip and spb. And that's just because their ports are closed, literally no one else from europe has an issue. And when I play against sepi or alf, they aren't lagging. But I am. And for the last 2 years every single time an american player starts playing on the server, they quit shortly after because they have to forward their ports, and then they still lag. Not only that, but 80% of american players who started playing on lance's server, not only were their ports opened automatically, but no one was lagging. I don't have any real opinion on iL. I'm completely impartial when I say that he's done good work, but much more work needs to be done just to get the game functioning the way it's supposed to be. Never mind improving it. And it's common sense that one developer who works in his spare time and never has any, the game's management and development is at a sub-chronic halt. Why doesn't iL have people help him manage the server? And why would you have to forward port 6112 if the server doesn't handle the connection to your router in any sort of fashion? Is it not possible that the smallest minute detail or problem in this process could be causing problems? And i'm not jumping the gun to pointing a finger at the server. I've thought this problem was on my end for years. But after moving twice in a few months with three separate internet connections, carriers and qualities, and re-imaging my computer to an entirely different version of windows, with no hardware problems i think it's most likely on the program or server's end. I'm not sure which. I've also tried various versions of combat edition, including the current one, and ones i used when i didn't have this problem.
typing /ping, whenever you happen to do it, tells you your ping to the server im pretty sure, which doesnt matter at all once the game has started.  typing /ping [player] tells you your ping to another player which might, sometimes, matter somewhat.

lance introduced upnp to war2.us which would help auto-open ports for players.  war2.ru has upnp now too, though, and has for the last couple years!

hosting is an issue sometimes, but if you want to discuss it you should go back and read some of the previous discussions where it's been talked about so you can understand the problems better.  basically to completely solve the problem some sort of "hole-punching" process would be necessary and it would be a project for a programmer to change the way games are hosted and so on.  thats what tk gets mad about, that no one is hiring a programmer to do it, at least he knows what hes talking about when he rants

It was not lance who brought that up... I saw a war2bne loader on reality ripple that had upnp before war2 custom was born.

Offline jordan4385

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
Tora, Logan, and I all have about 300 ping. You can't play a multiplayer game with a ping of 300. that's way too high. I believe it's because of the server location ( germany i believe ). I'm not even going to play this game anymore. The lag is unbearable. It's no wonder I have trouble beating the europeans, they all have a ping of 60-80. This 3 second unit delay per command adds up real fast over the course of a game. I can't fix this problem, so I don't think I'm going to keep playing.

You have trouble beating europeans because you suck. Dont even bother making a come back for that one, i suck, i know it, everyone knows it, suck a dick.

Logan doesnt lag, and his ping is not 300. You are making a fundamental error due to your lack of knowledge regarding how war2 works networkly speaking.  The ping that you see when you run the /ping command was the time it took for that user to get to the .ru server, not the time it takes for the user to get  to another user. The actual ping time between players is relatively unknown and extremely hard to gauge since most routers are blocking ICMP traffic by default now a days. This means ping doesn't work. So if you have a method for how you are detecting actual latency between players id love to hear it. Once again, as stated for the 10000th time, WARCRAFT II IS PEER TO PEER IN GAME. you must send each packet to n players in game. latency hungry.
       Location doesn't matter in the slightest. latency from LA to DC is less than 10 ms over fiber  And over the transatlantic cable are less than 50 ms now. The problem is that the last mile for alot of us is shit in the united states which is where latency rises. I have done extensive research and you will not start lagging in big games if unless you get over 200 ms latency consistently. If you drop packets thats another story. You can do 2s at 300 or so. The problem is when latency spikes and packets start getting lost.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:21:38 PM by jordan4385 »

Offline jordan4385

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Is i not possible that the smallest minute detail or problem in this process could be causing problems?
Not even a .0000000000001% chance. Dude its not the server you ape.
And why would you have to forward port 6112 if the server doesn't handle the connection to your router in any sort of fashion? I
Because by default you router locks down all ports, and you need 6112 UDP to communicate with other players.

I was on LTE for years with average latency of 90 ms with spikes to 120ms and i rarely experienced any lag. godspeed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:54:14 PM by jordan4385 »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Tora, Logan, and I all have about 300 ping. You can't play a multiplayer game with a ping of 300. that's way too high. I believe it's because of the server location ( germany i believe ). I'm not even going to play this game anymore. The lag is unbearable. It's no wonder I have trouble beating the europeans, they all have a ping of 60-80. This 3 second unit delay per command adds up real fast over the course of a game. I can't fix this problem, so I don't think I'm going to keep playing.

You have trouble beating europeans because you suck. Dont even bother making a come back for that one, i suck, i know it, everyone knows it, suck a dick.

Logan doesnt lag, and his ping is not 300. You are making a fundamental error due to your lack of knowledge regarding how war2 works networkly speaking.  The ping that you see when you run the /ping command was the time it took for that user to get to the .ru server, not the time it takes for the user to get  to another user. The actual ping time between players is relatively unknown and extremely hard to gauge since most routers are blocking ICMP traffic by default now a days. This means ping doesn't work. So if you have a method for how you are detecting actual latency between players id love to hear it. Once again, as stated for the 10000th time, WARCRAFT II IS PEER TO PEER IN GAME. you must send each packet to n players in game. latency hungry.
       Location doesn't matter in the slightest. latency from LA to DC is less than 10 ms over fiber  And over the transatlantic cable are less than 50 ms now. The problem is that the last mile for alot of us is shit in the united states which is where latency rises. I have done extensive research and you will not start lagging in big games if unless you get over 200 ms latency consistently. If you drop packets thats another story. You can do 2s at 300 or so. The problem is when latency spikes and packets start getting lost.

The other problem is, the dreaded, "CONFLICT"

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work.

Hey Jordan or Lambchopper, want to set up a "hole punching" client to eliminate most lag for us?  Maybe Tora will hire you for $$$.

Offline jordan4385

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »

Hey Jordan or Lambchopper, want to set up a "hole punching" client to eliminate most lag for us?  Maybe Tora will hire you for $$$.

Dont know wtf you guys are talking about. war2 already uses UPNP, i disable UPNP from the router for one.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »

The entire server would need to be redone from scratch to fix all the bugs I think...
war2 > war3

Offline jordan4385

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »

The entire server would need to be redone from scratch to fix all the bugs I think...

why do you think there are bugs in the server?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Lambchops and iL have mentioned before a "hole punching method" that would allow almost all players to host, join, etc without lat issues.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_punching_(networking)

Adopting that would take a serious programming effort and so it hasn't been done to this point.  Sounds like you're too much of a networking noob for a project like this.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
^^Tell me something would it be possible to redo the server and make it so everyone could host without doing the whole 6112 port forwarding? Like on the b net server where nobody ever port forwarded.
war2 > war3

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
everyone had to port forward on bnet too.  and yes it would be possible, that's what i'm talking about with the hole punching.  but it would require rewriting the way the client and server connect players.  it would make hosting/joining work without any effort from the user's part in most cases.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
which is something that upnp already is doing for us, in the majority of cases.  but upnp works like 75% of the time maybe idk just making up a number whereas this would work like 98% (to make up another number)

but i dont know what bnet you played on if you didnt know we had to port forward then too, cuz ya totally did

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
I never port forwarded or nobody I knew ever port forwarded on bnet. Thou that may be due to the fact that nobody played on wii fii in 2000.

Ive already spoken to IL about hiring a programmer he isn't interested in doing it because he wrote the script himself.
war2 > war3