Author Topic: I resign as administrator of Warcraft 2  (Read 16268 times)

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
I resign as administrator of Warcraft 2
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »
I am officially resigning as war2 admin as of today effective immediately.

I joined the admin team about 2 years ago in the winter of 2015. I became admin in order to help grow the server community due to its dwindling numbers. It's been a good and fun ride these past 2 years however due to differences with the current admin team and player base I believe the time has come for me to resign.

The current admin team consists of IL, Blid, mousetopher, and myself.

IL- Il is the one who created this server. He is the one who has released all the patches and bug fixes up to this point. He is decent guy however he is extremely busy and has been unable release any patches of fixes in the past 2 years. I have pmed Il on multiple occasions asking him to let me hire a programmer to help him get things fixed more quickly. He has refused all my inquires and has been unwilling to hire outside help.

Blid- Blid is the longest tenured admin on the server. Many admins have gone MIA and disappeared but Blid has never done that. In 2015 I msged Blid and let him know how I felt about the state of the server. I requested he help me host monthly GOW tournaments to help boost the player base. Shortly afterwards he told me I should become admin which I accepted. Since becoming and serving as admin for 2 years it has been made plain that Blid is part of what is wrong with war2.

Blid insists on smurfing every time he logs on the server and refuses to ever play on his actual name. The guy never hosts games for the community and never talks to anyone on the actual server. In the past 2 years since I have become admin his contributions have been extremely minimal and have done virtually nothing help the player base. His main contribution and the reason he remains as admin is because he is "smart, mature, and responsible." Unfortunately intelligence isn't enough of a contribution to remain in such a high position for such a long time. Blid essentially has the ability to veto any decision I or anyone else makes without consultation from the community.
Example: Recently Ripe[Eur0] posted some garbage in the general section about attacking immigrants in Finland. Blid perma banned him over it and refused to lift the ban despite Ripe apologizing for it and saying he wasn't thinking clearly and he didn't mean it.   

There are other examples as well but the bottom line is i'm currently not getting along with the admin team.
It makes no sense for me to be working with people who have limited vision for the future, do basically nothing, and yet insist their way is the right way.

Mouetopher- I like mousey she has made great contributions and her positives far outweigh her negatives. Which is why I will refrain from saying anything ill of her.

The player base- The war2 player base is extremely loyal to the game. It takes a certain kind of person to continue to play the same game for over 20 years. The player base is are very passionate about the game however they are highly flawed in many areas. The majority of the player base is unwilling to play with newer players. They scream they want war2 to be the way it was back in the early 2000s however they refuse to sacrifice their own entertainment to achieve that goal.

Bottom line is I joined this admin team to try and increase the player base and improve the server. To an extent I do believe I achieved that goal, however the current vision for the future of the server is differing from my own. Which is why I am now resigning from my current role as administrator of warcraft 2.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:35:25 PM by ~ToRa~ »
war2 > war3

Offline Disgruntled

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: I resign as administrator of Warcraft 2
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
  :(

who should fill your place?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by Disgruntled »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
welcome to my world ... this server needs to DRAIN THE SWAMP! ... and start from scratch if it has any chance of ever being "Great again!"   ... cant get shit done when iL is MIA 90% of the time, and the person he appears to delegate most of his authority to has zero interest on the actual gaming side... except smurfing and gaming once in a blue moon.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
To be honest though .. i just kinda always assumed iL left decision making to Blid. For all I know that's not true. Blid might just act like he's iL's right hand man. Could be just a fake ass front. Who knows. Would be interesting to see someone try to override Blid and see how iL handles it.

Blid needs to go and has needed to go for a long ass time now... assuming the prosperity of the server is the #1 priority any way.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
Wish things went better. Wish my experience was just a fluke .. but unfortunately comforting to know someone else sees what i saw. experienced some of the same things i experienced while i was admin. maybe people will start to listen. maybe wishful thinking.

Offline 00Brett

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:40:55 PM »
Doing away with smurfing somehow would make everything better.  Action item#1

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
You can't resign. You have to defend your title in the Admin tag series.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
absence of iL is the worst one. even the most passtionate people encounter this brick wall eventually

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:28:39 AM »
Il was online 2 days  ago.. Its bad news for w2, anyway thanks tora for everything
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline LiveFreeorDie

• Berserker
  • Live free or die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:02:24 AM »
Tora, admin isn't an easy job. You've decided to step away from it, but perhaps one day in the future return!

Hope you stay active in the community!

Thanks for all the good you did do for our little W2-loving group of people and all the ways you helped keep the enjoyment of this awesome game alive for everyone! :)

War2USA is the fun and friendly place to play Warcraft 2. New players welcome at USA community!
http://war2usa.com/

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 08:22:20 AM »
What will happen with master theard? will u continue it? or its over? tours?
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline KagaN

• Server Admin
  • Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »
Il was online 2 days  ago..

iL played in the tournament 2 days ago)
http://www.war2.ru/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2292&forum=28#16159

But he comes on the server very rarely.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
  :(

who should fill your place?

What will happen with master theard? will u continue it? or its over? tours?

The server will be fine without me being admin. I don't plan the quit war2 entirely. I will still make my morning hosting rounds and i'll still be around to an extent.
I don't know what will happen to some of the projects I started. Most likely one or two members will need to step up and assume more responsibility. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:36:54 PM by ~ToRa~ »
war2 > war3

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »
Thank you for all your work that was done. Hopefully some of your ideas will somehow work and after you will stop being an admin. Master challenge i a very nice ideea...

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »
That sucks, thanks for what you've done.  I think the worst of this is how you offered to hire programmers to fix outstanding issues and they were refused.  Complete bullshit.