Author Topic: 1 second+ input delay issues  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: 1 second+ input delay issues
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
my friend got the same, it cant be problem internet connection cause he is playing sc, cs, dota2 and he havent got lags there, where speed is higher than w2 needs

ping only show your current ping when u are  joining server, it should change all the time ^^

The whole thing is that server ping isn't relevant.

Your ping time to the server is not related to games, only your connection to other players matters... the server isn't part of the game.

If I am on Mars playing 1's with another guy on Mars we both have like 20 minute server ping times, but we could play each other with no lag. It  would take 20 minutes to /m each other though, because that goes via the server.

Moral: Server ping time != lag ...... BUT it can show up issues (like if a player is on Mars).
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
I know how it works anyway he watch  my stream and in his opinion i got his lag all the time, its Just w2 multimedia lag
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:49:20 AM by Szwagier »
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
how are we going to play with people on mars :( fiber isnt fast enuff..but i read(could be bullsh*t) that quantum stuf if one matter does this the other related matter will do the same with no regards of distance ....

Offline willigetaname

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
So I've thought about this a little bit. I figure the delay is the internal delay given by warcraft 2 netcode itself(low latency). I've had this delay happen on starcraft 1 on patch 1.16 and below as well.

I figure if warcraft 2 had a turnrate configuration like sc does, then I wouldn't be having delay issues.

Also, is there something similar to chaoslauncher for warcraft2? It had the option to play on LAN setting(better than low latency) for online play.

Offline dJ_boSs

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
I just registered to the forum because I just found this topic that is also my problem about.

As Szwagier mentioned, the lag Im having during games is huge and I feel like I dont have any control on my units at all. About 1 seconds delay, makes this unplayable for me at all. Setting for lan latency often doesnt change anything for better. But from time to time it's ok, units are responding to my commands very fast and game is running very smooth, I can feel it, since I got 144 hz monitor (dont know if this matters in war2 :D). Sooo, its;s not like its impossible for me to play war2 without this huge delay. But i cant find the problem what is causing it. I am from Europe, servers are in Europe (?), so everything should be ok. I have 3 Internet connections, tried all of them, and the problem is with every of them. Just pinged server.war2.ru and here are the results :

Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=481ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=309ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=554ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=52

Looking forward for your help! :D

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 06:03:38 AM »
Try cpu savior dj? Its in the downloads section of site. My last computer I had to run it or there wpuld be random pauses in my game sounds like what you guys are describing.

Offline dJ_boSs

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
This is not CPU for sure since on single player game works great. I have just read whole thread and found Lambchops posts very interesting.

I could guess, and will do shortly, but as you sound a bit sceptical, first try this:

1) Start a server game with just you and AI players.
2) Turn off your router

Yeah I did this test, and lag was still there. I guess it's problem with my computer then. I tried this solution:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/398115-possible-fix-for-a-lot-of-users-lag-updated-tcp-affects-udp-packet-loss/

but seems it doesnt help at all :D Maybe problem is that I have about 250 active TCP connections? Lambchops do you have any ideas? :P

Also, VPN doesnt help for lag, even make it bigger, but only allows you to play without any conflicts with other players (which happens to me when I play on my mobile internet)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
ok dudes ..bnet isnt like the best..fastest u will lose peon in the gold and try like hell to stop them...kali ipx in bnet pkt:4 is instant..be cool if u could get that in  bnet..i dont even play fastest much because of it.

but yeah vs cpu lag is all on the user.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:31:03 PM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Lambchops do you have any ideas?

Hi DJ, sorry I just noticed this - didn't mean to ignore you.

Firstly I should say that I don't have any definitive solutions for you, because I don't have this problem, so I have no way of diagnosing it apart from the words people write here.

That being said I can try to guess at things and provide a little bit of information.

Here's some stuff that might provide food for thought:

- WC2 used to run fine on a 90's 486. It's pretty much impossible to get a computer that doesn't have 100x enough power to run WC2 these days, unless you're shopping at a museum. So this problem, whatever it is, is a modern issue.

- Don't use the "CPU saviour" mod if you are trying to troubleshoot problems. Get the problems sorted out first then install it afterwards if you wish to use it.

- The single player and multiplayer modes are internally very different, they use different code and memory structures (some things are the same, some are quite different). I'm actually amazed that after this long people havn't discovered a heap of gameplay glitches/differences between the two modes. It's testimony to the solid grass roots programming the blizzard guys did back then. So single player running fine is just demonstrating that your computer is well capable of running the game (as we know).... rendering the graphics and updating the internals is most of the work.... the network stuff isn't really increasing the load much at all.

- In multiplayer mode the game obviously has a network component whereby other players become part of the loop. Using this exact setup, if you don't have any remote players in the game then there is no (relevant) external communication over the network - as can be demonstrated by the "switch of your router" test. However, the code that is running is still written to allow remote clients to be looped in. WC2 doesn't switch to single player mode, it is still running multiplayer, just with no remote players.

- So because of this, and because of reports of this problem, I assume (without actually knowing - never devoted the time to investigate this scenario) that WC2 is still using your network to run the game, but its just being routed straight back to the local client without leaving the computer because there aren't any remote clients. Lots of programs use this form of behavior, it's generally referred to as "loopback". The dummy IPv4 address of 127.0.0.1 is reserved for loopback, also sometimes designated as "localhost". Anything you send to 127.0.0.1 is routed straight back to you by your TCP/IP drivers. Actually I doubt that WC2 would be sending anything to 127.0.0.1, it is no doubt designed to forward everything on to the next remote client and as in this case there are no remote clients is is probably explicitly sending information to you own local IP address.

So this is where I think this problem is manifesting - it's WC2 is sending UDP packets to itself by bouncing them off your network services. This should be virtually instantainious - like a ping time of 0.1ms or whatever. If it's not then SOMETHING is causing a delay to these packets.

So what is messing with it?.... how long is a piece of string? Could be anything. My first suspect for this kind of this is always security: Anti-virus programs, stateful firewalls, air-port security, bitchy door-people at nightclubs.... you know the type - they want to make everyone stand in a queue so they can make themselves feel important before they allow you past. This could mean 3rd party security programs of stuff that is built in to your OS. Perhaps the culprit doesn't like network traffic that is explicitly addressed to the local node instead of using the loopback address?

If it's not a security program/protocol then perhaps its a routing issue of some description. It could be that instead of just throwing the packets straight back to WC2, you network is actually forwarding them further into the network before they are retuned... your network adapter and its drivers... a LAN router... a virtual network device of some description... who knows - could be anything - and somewhere along this roundabout route things are being delayed before they are finally being returned. 

The other possibility is malware. If you have a rootkit on your computer it could be messing with the network of local services.

PLEASE NOTE: This is all just conjecture. It's a bunch of ideas and guesses based on assumed premises. I have never seen this problem myself and I have never seen your computer/OS/software/network.  This could all be total garbage and the problem could be something else entirely.

Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=481ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=309ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=554ms TTL=52
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=52

Like I say: server ping times aren't relevant for gameplay, only UDP times to the other clients, however I should mention that these ping times don't look good. Mainly because they are so inconsistant.

481 - down to 309 - up to 554 - down to 175 ... this much variation is not a good sign and would probably suggest network congestion somewhere. The first 3 also seem a bit slow if you are in Europe.

Here's what I get from my computer in Australia via my cellphone's data connection (only 2 bars right now!)
Code: [Select]
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=263ms TTL=43
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=254ms TTL=43
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=253ms TTL=43
Reply from 45.33.94.234: bytes=32 time=253ms TTL=43

Usually the first time will be slightly slower as you can see here, but they should normally all be in the same ball park. Like I have said previously ping traffic uses different network protocols to UDP traffic, so your in game ping will usually be slower that a standard network ping.

Maybe problem is that I have about 250 active TCP connections?

This isn't ideal, but isn't necessarily a problem as long as your network hardware can cope. If it was me I would want to know WHY I had 250 TCP connections from my local puter. This is an unusually large amount for normal use. Is there is some reason why you have apps on your puter that need to be connected to 250 different remote locations? If there is a reason then fine, that's your call, but if there isn't I would be checking it out, this could possibly indicate malware/botnet type behavior.

I find Android phones tend to have higher numbers of open connections. They are a result of almost every installed app having a few connections (their home servers, google and amazon add servers etc.) plus a heap of built in google data mining and advertising stuff. I would expect to find modern Windows versions moving further in this direction too - IDK I try to keep it old school myself.

If you dont need all of these connections open, it certialy can't hurt to shut down as much of it as possible, but an idle TCP connection does not generate a very large amount of network traffic. Hovever if some of these connections are active they could possibly be causing all sorts of conjestion problems.

Anyway there's some stuff to think about, I hope some of it's helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can PM me too just in case I don't notice your post, or if you wish to discuss personal info about your system/setup.

:critter:

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 01:48:58 AM »
I tried this solution:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/398115-possible-fix-for-a-lot-of-users-lag-updated-tcp-affects-udp-packet-loss/

but seems it doesnt help at all

This fix is based on an interesting article. It is basically suggesting that the automatic reizing of buffers used to transmit network packets by the TCP services may be making them too small for large UDP packets, causing loss.

Apparantly the World of Tanks game designers have increased the size of UDP packets with their latest update which has made some of the packets larger than whatever the TCP service has set for the lower threshold for buffer size.

So when the game tries to trasmit large UDP packets, if the buffer has been decreased to a smaller size than the packet, it can't be transmitted.

This kind of arbitrary messing with stuff is annoying. It would appear to have appeared in later versions of windows - my own system doesn't have the referenced registry keys.

At a guess, it's probably not going to affect WC2 as it would be unlikely that such large packets would be being used, however this kind of interference is worth consideration.

I have to go out right now, but I might investigate this further later.