Author Topic: Time for new comp.. Suggestions please  (Read 8863 times)

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
Re: Time for new comp.. Suggestions please
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
http://www.dell.com/en-us/gaming/alienware-deals

As of before making this thread alienware is what I was leaning towards unless something seems beter.

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
How much do you want to spend? Don't buy a prebuilt PC, especially an Alienware, total junk. Put it together yourself, its very easy. Let me know how much you want to spend and ill give you a parts list. Also do you plan to stay at 1080p or go 1440p or 4K?

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
How much do you want to spend? Don't buy a prebuilt PC, especially an Alienware, total junk. Put it together yourself, its very easy. Let me know how much you want to spend and ill give you a parts list. Also do you plan to stay at 1080p or go 1440p or 4K?

Ya ive heard building your own is better just no way I could do this 😞 no experience and really dont have the patience to learn.

Btw welcome to the forums!

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Ty.

But honestly, no experience required, it's not like building a computer in the old days. If you watched a youtube video or two you would have more experience than you needed. There is no jumpers or settings to play around with anymore, everything has only one spot it can go and it's all plug-and-play now. It's probably easier than most sets of lego, lol. If you have to buy a prebuilt PC I would recommend you find a local store and have them build you one (they shouldn't charge more than $100 for assembly and testing) plus the cost of the parts, that way you get a quality machine that will last and won't be preloaded with bloatware from the MFG.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »

Ya ive heard building your own is better just no way I could do this 😞 no experience and really dont have the patience to learn.

Btw welcome to the forums!

Learn? It's about as hard as building a 4 piece Lego kit. Plugging cables into the back when you're finished is more complicated.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
well i think he means u gotta keep up with the times...i was a p3 til 2014..and the sad thing it runs way better than this pc

it helps to know the ram shit idk what era ram is these days 5?

if ur gonna game good cpu+ good vcard ..everything else slap some shit together.

i waas big in it in the p4 days 3ghz omg!!!! that stopped when someone gave me a 1.3 p3 mofo! and thats why intel went back to the p3 arch cause that bitch was bad. well cheers gl getting a pc..don get a dam alien unless u can afford it
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:43:18 PM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
well i think he means u gotta keep up with the times...i was a p3 til 2014..and the sad thing it runs way better than this pc

it helps to know the ram shit idk what era ram is these days 5?

if ur gonna game good cpu+ good vcard ..everything else slap some shit together.

i waas big in it in the p4 days 3ghz omg!!!! that stopped when someone gave me a 1.3 p3 mofo! and thats why intel went back to the p3 arch cause that bitch was bad. well cheers gl getting a pc..don get a dam alien unless u can afford it

LAMBY'S 5 minute DIY puter building crash-course

- Pick a processor, make sure it has good cache speeds.

- Get a motherboard that supports it. If the CPU is "Slot-BakedBeans" get a board with a "Slot-BakedBeans"

- Make sure your motherboard supports your RAM... if your motherboard has slots for "DDR-poptarts" then get some "DDR-poptarts" RAM

- Get a nVidia video card and a solid state hard drive (SSD)

- Get a case with a good power supply

Plug everything in and don't install windows 10

-------------------------------------

Personally I find computer parts usually are priced kind of like this:

$1000 - OMG this is the most awesome thing ever! You need this OMG!
 $150 - stuff that was $1000 six months ago and is still 95% as good
 $120 - slightly lower spec stuff that is still ok if you're not building a space shuttle
 $90 - probably has some issues
 $80 - dodgey crap from some shitty company that also makes PVC pipe and umbrellas

The $150 stuff will build you a really nice system. A $120 stuff puter will still probaby be pretty good. A mix of the right $120-$150 stuff is usually what I go for. Sometimes the $90 things can be a good deal but research and use caution.

-----------------

These days all the bits inside a computer can only be plugged into its correct place, if it fits the socket then that's where it goes.

If there are multiple sockets of the same type they will usually be numbered from 0 thru n .... start at the 0 end.

Use normal care. Handle everything as little as possible and try not to touch the contacts, but don't panic - unless you're wearing a nylon jumpsuit and scrubbing your feet on the carpet parts rarely get damaged. Normal people can do this, you dont have to be a neurosurgeon.

If you have to attach a heatsink to a CPU, use some heat transfer paste like a thin smear of toothpaste.

Did I forget anything?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
lol i couldnt build a new pc right now lol..best one i ever built was a 2 cpu dual opteron(2005 tech)....i can fill up the screen with 32 instance of emulators running..but it idles at a cool 200 watt..this consumer tri core cant most of its performance is like a 386 running win95..got a 386 50 now that is a beast can run war2bnet :P

lol im sure we can all put it together to power something on...watch out for static electricity..but i can not tell anyone whats better

why not go usb 3.0 over ssd im still 2.0 and u can use 2 for a hardrive to stop bottllenecks.

the only dam reason im not hooked to my single core laptop or p3 is browsers..played ql just as good..looks like a job for linux but lazy..my old fedora for my e-300 is on usb drives thats a damn good amd cpu also..probably in your all in one burnt

what is wrong with this pc..probably the stock compaq mobo get a good mobo<

flashback..i played halo 1 in 2008 on a dx4 100mhz/nvidia5500 gateway 2000 486 multiplayer that has to be a record mofo burn mp3sgod what a beast! if theres just someway to surf the web u could still use them

the problem is bloated..maybe reactos is good enuff to go, partition with that and boot war2 native
i really dont think games should be pushing over 1ghz
snes 3 mhz gens 12 ps2 gamecube <500 box1 a p3 733
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:08:41 PM by easycompany »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
gamecube has all the graphic caps as these consoles 20 years later your just on a ride $$$sega got the fuck out.a new cpu what you want to game they prob boring as fuck..ud rather be a dude with 3mhz and friends coming to it than this latest vr shit

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil -HQ - YouTube
the hurtz dnt = shit if your not having fun

each to thier own see ya later
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:28:22 AM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 03:43:04 AM »
lol i couldnt build a new pc right now lol..best one i ever built was a 2 cpu dual opteron(2005 tech)....i can fill up the screen with 32 instance of emulators running..but it idles at a cool 200 watt..this consumer tri core cant most of its performance is like a 386 running win95..got a 386 50 now that is a beast can run war2bnet :P

lol im sure we can all put it together to power something on...watch out for static electricity..but i can not tell anyone whats better

why not go usb 3.0 over ssd im still 2.0 and u can use 2 for a hardrive to stop bottllenecks.

the only dam reason im not hooked to my single core laptop or p3 is browsers..played ql just as good..looks like a job for linux but lazy..my old fedora for my e-300 is on usb drives thats a damn good amd cpu also..probably in your all in one burnt

what is wrong with this pc..probably the stock compaq mobo get a good mobo<

flashback..i played halo 1 in 2008 on a dx4 100mhz/nvidia5500 gateway 2000 486 multiplayer that has to be a record mofo burn mp3sgod what a beast! if theres just someway to surf the web u could still use them

the problem is bloated..maybe reactos is good enuff to go, partition with that and boot war2 native
i really dont think games should be pushing over 1ghz
snes 3 mhz gens 12 ps2 gamecube <500 box1 a p3 733

My main PC is still a 32-bit Win XP machine Core2 Quad CPU (4x 2.66GHz) 4GB of RAM (maximum XP supports) It's got a mid-range nVidia card from a few years ago. The Gigabyte motherboard is fairly new (compared to the processor) and has USB3 Support.

I like it because it's pretty much bullet-proof and has quite good performance for a 32bit machine - and I don't have $$ to burn. The CPU will happily overclock which I did as an experiment but have never bothered doing since. The CPU fan almost never goes above idle speed.

I have been hanging on to XP tooth and nail, but it's an uphill battle as so much isn't supported anymore and eventually I'm going to have to upgrade. I dont run any really new games, so that's not really an issue. Probably the most modern game I run is something like Skyrim but I can get quite decent 3D first person performance from that. My laptop has Win7 on it and I have had various other versions of windows and/or unix running on other computers (32 and 64 bit).

An SSD is a hard drive that doesn't have magnetic disks, its basically like a great big USB stick that runs via SATA. Externally they look and operate just like a HDD but they have much faster access speeds. Having fast access speed for your system drive can be a significant performance factor. There are now PCIe SSD options available. I have never owned one, but if I was building a new system I would love one of those (PCIe slots are where you plug in video cards etc. and are capable of extremely fast I/O speeds).

USB3 has much better performance than USB2, and quite good top speeds, but isnt really ideal for running your system drive, although perhaps it could work, I've never tried. USB3 has a theoretical max of 0.625 GB/s but is more like 0.4GB/s in practice. There are PCIe controllers that support over 7GB/s. I'm not even sure if there are drives capable of that kind of performance, but still - that's some serious grunt :) Bottleneck? What bottleneck?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
usb 2.0 bottle neck is reading and writing to itself..so 2 atleast and then its good as my hdd physical.
actually it was better. people say linux no games :( no i played war2 zdaemon ql all my usual stuff.
thats a good cpu..i was thinking just making a core2duo cause yeah i want stability .

c: hdd to usb ruffly 37 secs 122mb file
usb 1 to usb 2 39

usb 1 to usb 1 around 39 mmmm for some reason i used 2 cause 1 sucked maybe its cause  linux was reading and u wanted games and process wait, i cant remember but u want 2 or more or 3.0:P

usb1 system usb2 games and progs and media.

just get a good mobo burnt.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:47:02 PM by easycompany »

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 09:06:24 PM »
So say I wanted to download windows xp I would be able to get 640x480 resolution on the newer computers?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »
bs player will force 640 honey http://bsplayer.com/

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server