Author Topic: Not a POS map competition entry.  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Not a POS map competition entry.
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
I made this one using my editor in about 3 minutes - but I did start with the original. Just kinda sorta interesting.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline LiveFreeorDie

• Berserker
  • Live free or die
    • View Profile
Re: Not a POS map competition entry.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
This is interesting looking @Lambchops

What did you do to it?

It looks like a bubble-edge tree POS.

War2USA is the fun and friendly place to play Warcraft 2. New players welcome at USA community!
http://war2usa.com/

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:03 PM »
What did you do to it?

The top left quater of the map is the original POS. the rest of it is just that quater mirrored.

I also added the mines at 12 and 6 back in.

Offline halala

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:07:37 AM »
Hello @Lambchops. :)
Really like your editor's features.
Would u like to make it a portable version of it and just do nothing to the registry so that the AV software doesn't say anything wrong? :)
btw, does your editor have a feature like press Ctrl+Z to retreat action in Photoshop. Add it if you like. ^-^ :thumbsup:

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:43:06 AM »
Hello @Lambchops;)
Really like your editor's features.
Would u like to make it a portable version of it and just do nothing to the registry so that the AV software doesn't say anything wrong? :)
btw, does your editor have a feature like press Ctrl+Z to retreat action in Photoshop. Add it if you like. ^-^ :thumbsup:

Hi person who doesn't want to use their real name but wants me to rewrite a dodgey 15 year old program. ;)   ( @halala  )

I'm glad you like the editor :) It's really rough and I'm not planning on devoting any time to it. Every now and then I think of something I want to do to a PUD file so I add 'feature' to the old editor and usually then just use it once to do the thing I wanted to do.

If you read the About -> GrimEdit it explains this and a few other things. I reccomend reading that.

The editor is VERY simple. It does not access the registry or network. It doesn't read/write ANYTHING apart from PUD files, compressed PUD files, and BMP pictures of PUD files. It is 100% portable and requires only the exe file to run.

IIRC it used to save the display bitmap to a temp file then reload it to display on the editor window, simply because that was the easiest (first) way I found to do it at the time. I meant to fix that later, can't remember if I actually got around to it.

I believe the open/save as dialog boxes save the last accessed file in the registry, but this is just normal windows behaviour and not explicitly done by the editor.

There is no undo/redo function. I reccommend doing the following:

1) make what you want with the blizz editor
2) copy the PUD with a new name ... like add XX to the end of it or something - just in case.
3) edit the nameXX.pud file with grimedit
4) select SAVE from the menu regularly then if you want to revert (undo), select reload

HERE is a post I did a while back about anti-virus false positives.

I can guarantee you that the editor is:

a) old.
    b) shitty and buggy.
    c) sometimes useful for some things.
    d) contains no malicious or nefarious code of any kind.

:critter:

Offline halala

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:31:10 PM »
 ;) I understand if you dont wanna cost time on this. @Lambchops
alright, doesn't matter :D

How about this. You upload the source code to GitHub.
Well, I don't know anything about coding,
but i think maybe some other people would like to fix the problems,
and add some new features to it. :) :D :D

As for the undo function, u tell me to save it regularly.
Well, that's not what i mean. ^-^
I mean, take the POS remake competition as an example,
in the center of the map, u have to dig out 5 3x3 spaces for mines out of a bunch of forest, right?
In that case, you have to be very careful, because if you make any little mistakes,
you have to do it again and again. that's really annoying.
So you know now, that's the undo function for. :) :)

Oh, you want my real name?
yahaha ^-^ ^-^ I use this ID on server.
totally a newbie. :D

The important thing your editor attracted me is the copy and paste function.
other editors doesn't have this.
But the annoying thing is it will be deleted instantly when downloaded by AV software. :(
Maybe I should close the AV when using it. :)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
The important thing your editor attracted me is the copy and paste function.
other editors doesn't have this.
But the annoying thing is it will be deleted instantly when downloaded by AV software. :(
Maybe I should close the AV when using it. :)

You should be able to add an exception in your AV somewhere. Or just don't use it IDC. It's really just a personal tool that I have made available for others if they want.

The format for PUD files is very simple and pretty well documented. Anyone who is capable of basic coding in any language could make their own. I think I spent a couple of hours one evening adding the cut/paste to the editor a few years ago.

The main code for my editor is very noobish, messy and kludgey. I wrote it a long time ago and have added bits into it but never really maintained it, if I was going to do anything public with a PUD file editor it would be a complete rewrite, but there's not a lot of point in bothering to do that in 2018.

I started a project to do a pud editor in ASM on this forum a while ago because people seemed interested, but in the end nobody else bothered contributing anything so the project didn't continue.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:01:53 AM »

but on a serious note gj lamb! sob made pud paste  :o

but with tiles we could go bigger logo's for trny uses get the game to look more idk ufc 'd

"I started a project to do a pud editor in ASM" that ruled me out :P

he has a good point about github man...people are still messing with wargus,but idk how many know assembly.

u may have to let little lamb work on it for play

hyper text makeup lang is so powa

Hehe you found the terrain tiles. Nice   :D

The editor is written in a now pretty much dead language called EUPHORIA. Its a pity cos its a really cool language, but there's not much point if nobody uses it. The editor code is old and tangled. It uses defunct versions of public libraries, stuff out of my own personal libraries the would have to be tracked down and extracted, and big helpings of spaghetti on top. It is just really ugly code.

If people want to join in we could do one in C++ maybe? My C is a bit rusty, but its a pretty easy project, so we could do it, I'm sure.

In the meantime if there is some feature that you would like added to the editor, I can probably do it. ** This has to be stuff that is related to PUD files, not fantasic wc2 hack ideas! lol

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 05:44:52 AM »
OK then @halala , @easycompany  probably interested also.

I was bored this afternoon so I added an undo/redo function to the edit menu. I also enabled drag & drop so you can just drop a pud file on there and it will open - been meaning to do that since forever.

There are no CTRL-Z etc. hotkeys, but you can do ALT-E, U  or  ALT-E, R if you want.

If you select a heap of PUD files and drop them on the editor it will open them one after the other, but then you can go back with UNDO.

Just remember that it will still save to the filename of the last file opened, by default (the name on the status bar at the bottom).

All completely untested, no guarantees of anything.

enjoy.   :critter: