Author Topic: Unable to log in?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to log in?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
@iL if there's anything I can do to help please contact me, I will do what I can. Have you changed the DNS entry to an invalid address? If the attack is continuing that might possibly cause any proxies to get sick of the abusive traffic... worth a try.
Fixed it!

Well, it wrote "No space left on device" on every action (like creation file). But there was about 6Gb free.
What you think that means? I firstly thought that was some kind of "Read-only filesystem". Also maybe that's related to hoster's server migration somehow...

What really happened is all the inodes used. I also know that inodes can be finished, but never touched that. And now these's really 1,5M inodes have been used.

So, the server should be ok now.

The first thing that comes to mind is a pagefile blowout (one big file) but unix usually does paging on a seperate partition - so it's not that. Inode exhaustion is the opposite..... too many small files. Easiest fix is to gz them into big files to free up inode resources (and space!).

Good work tracking that down :)
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
totally off topic but is this intel security flaw a real thing? Says the patch will slow down our comps up to 30% =I

Is it really worth patching if you don't use ne crazy programs?????

YES.

Details are still sketchy, but from the sounds of things it's so fundemental that kernel mode protected memory could potentially be accessed from javascript. It won't take the malware producers long to exploit it, that means when you simply visit the wrong website they pwn your system.

This is assuming that the initial reports/guesses are correct, but they do sound genuine and credible.

Basicacally its a bug in the caching of intructions that allows code that has been predictively pre-fetched by the processor to be executed before ANY security checks have taken place, which means that kernel mode protected data can be accessed directly from user mode by any old chunk of code as soon as they work out how to manipulate the CPU's speculative pre-fetching. This won't be very hard and won't take long, now the concept has leaked (mostly by AMD lol ;) ) There will be hackers working on it right now. Lots of them.

edit -------

"The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers."  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:33:28 PM by Lambchops »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I feel like a class action law suit is in order.

This might prove difficult. A 2.66GHz processor will still run at 2.66GHz. It's only the caching that's being borked, and although that is a major factor in processor performance....

LAMBY'S 5 minute DIY puter building crash-course

- Pick a processor, make sure it has good cache speeds.

- Get a motherboard that supports it ......

.... caches are generally described by size and/or transfer rate - both of which are still technically unaffected. However now because of the way operating systems will be forced to use them, much of the benefit will be negated (for certian processors) but I doubt that this would  invalidate any specific claims Intel would have made when advertizing their processors.

IIRC specific benchmarking comparisons etc. are usually done by 3rd party sites, not by Intel themselves, they don't actually make much in the way of specific claims about what their products will do. Probably any lawsuit would have to be based on rhetoric like "with our new supa-pwnage cache technology" or something like that. I think Intel's lawyers would have pleanty of firm ground to stand on.

IMO the only big danger for a lawsuit would have been if there were major security breaches and people/companies sued for huge damages, but as it looks like the patches will at least be available before the malware hits, they have probably dodged that bullet.

I also doubt that the US courts would be predisposed towards supporting an attack on an American icon over what is simply a genuine technical glitch that has done no real damage to anyone. I havn't really researched all of this, but that's my first impression

--------------------------------

Afterthought:

Over time, running the fix will chew gigawatts of extra power worldwide that would never have been used if the CPU caching was stiil being allowed to work correctly....